Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jul 28, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Scam - Olin Ross Home Theater Equipment
    So these 2 guys stop my in my parking lot and tried to sell me some Olin Ross home theater equipment for cheap out of the back of their SUV. They had a whole story worked out, their boss gave them too many units... yada yada. They offered me a $2500 system for $500. I talked them down to $300, to which they said OK. I ran inside to get the money and googled Olin Ross to check it out. Scam Alert popped right up, turns out they are $99 units from China and they made up the $2500 part, they had brochures and even a website and have been pulling this scam all over the country. Common sense should have told me it was too good to be true, it was. I went back out and told the guy he was a scum bag and to get the hell out of here, and blew a potential sale for him to one of my neighbors. He got really mad, but took off very quickly. I should have called the police first and stalled but I was mad and wasn't thinking.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amricca
    They had a whole story worked out, their boss gave them too many units...yada yada.
    That's the story that made it all legit for you? Really?

This scam is as old as the hills.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jul 28, 2008, 08:38 AM
    I had doubts the whole time of course as their story was very shady, but I had never heard about this one before. They were pretty good, and the equipment was brand new still in the box and looked good. I bet a lot of people fell for it and still are going to.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Hello a:

I'm nor sure where the scam is. If you go to Wal Mart and spend $2,500, you'll get $99 Chinese systems... At least these guys saved you the trip.

excon
    kamikaze cmi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 03:08 PM

As a consumer everything that you buy is marked up, especially coming from another country such as China , Michael Jordan shoes are made in China by workers only making less than 5 cents an hour and they only cost 2 dollars to make but we (Americans) buy them for 100 to 200 dollars………. Yet that is not a scam. The up side to buying on the streets, is it's done on the streets, you can bargin and get what you want at the price you want to spend and the down side is if you let someone sell you something for more that you was willing to pay then you lose but It's not a scam your just not a hustler and shouldn't be buying on the streets. So those Olin Ross guys that's upset who claim they got, got shut the up and stay out the streets. I paid 300 dollars for two systems and sold one for 800 without all the fancy con artist . I guest that makes me a scammer too but not in my eyes I'm a better hustler.
    jwalk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 10:26 AM

I have to agree mostly to what the reply above is saying. I must inform you that I bought one of these systems for 150.00 after looking at the lower end, walmart systems which sell for the same. I didn't know this was a widely publicized scam but, once I got home and looked it up, I was in a hurry to plug the system in and check it out. Once I found the system worked I didn't feel cheated. I realized that the whole process might not be all that was being presented so I named a price that I would still be OK with and, stuck with it. If these systems sell for 99 dollars in China then I'd have to say that I'm happy to pay 150 in the states. I look at it as cutting out the middle man and passing the savings on to me. Now if this system breaks down on me and the warranty is not honored then I will be posting my retraction to this post. Until then, proceed with caution.
    super_galan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 05:39 PM
    I met these two guys today outside meadawood mall in Reno NV. And they told me the same story. When I went to my car I googled Olin Ross and this story came out. I went back to the guys furious and they got in their car and speead away.
    areadelsol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 02:14 PM
    I just had two guys approach us with the same scam here in the parking lot of my work in San Antonio, TX. They were two Caucasian young guys that drove a fairly-new white full sized two seat pick-up truck with a covered hard-top bed, underneath they had about 8 boxes of these systems. Same story as the first post, they had it all worked out with a work order receipt and a catalog showing the system for $1899.00. After his pitch, I would have bought the system for $75, what I offered him. Fortunately, he didn't go for it and got angry and offended at my offer and drove away. I am glad it did not work out after doing some research online. A few minutes later, the two fellows were trying to scam another guy across the parking lot, JERKS.

I just had two guys approach us with the same scam here in the parking lot of my work in San Antonio, TX. They were two Caucasian young guys that drove a fairly-new white full sized two seat pick-up truck with a covered hard-top bed, underneath they had about 8 boxes of these systems. Same story as the first post, they had it all worked out with a work order receipt and a catalog showing the system for $1899.00. After his pitch, I would have bought the system for $75, what I offered him. Fortunately, he didn't go for it and got angry and offended at my offer and drove away. I am glad it did not work out after doing some research online. A few minutes later, the two fellows were trying to scam another guy across the parking lot, JERKS.

dchupp55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 05:25 PM
    I have a set of olin ross speakers that I traded for, and I'm very pleased with them, then again I did not have to shell out cash, I traded a outdated mt2500 scanner(automotive) from snap on for a 5.1 set. I was disapointed it did not come with a receiver, but I purchased a 229.00 yamaha receiver, and I can say I'm pleased as punch with the performance of the speakers. But I would like to know more about Olin Ross products. Let's face it, a lot of this stuff is very common technology, nothing new about it, so most of the time that means prices come down because it's accepted technology, and they make all the products, with what used to be "bells and whistles'. The speakers are perfporming quite well, and I would be willing to bet, that if I used quality speaker wire, instead of the wire that came with it, would probably be a good idea, although I intend to do just that, the speakers are performing well enough, that I feel no rush to do that immediately.
    rjadams85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 06:55 PM
    I fell for the scam for $200. To this very second I have no idea what the heck I was thinking. Anyway, my buddy and I did a lot of research and found that most people that hooked the speakers up ended up frying their receivers. My solution is this, just put the speakers on craigslist. That gives any potential buyer ample opportunity to find out the speakers are garbage and if they still want to buy them, it's all on them. I asked $300 for mine, a guy offered $200 and just like that, I got my money back. But you should probably be ready to get jumped too, I would imagine somebody might try to be a hero if they think you're a scammer. That's why I always have my .40 cal buddy and a concealed carry permit. Good luck to all and buyer beware.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 08:12 PM

Hello rj:

So, because YOU got ripped off, you got even by ripping somebody else off, and if they didn't like it, you were going to shoot 'em.

Dude!

excon
    azdrow75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2009, 02:08 PM
    I paid $200.00 for the 6 speaker surround system. They looked great in the box. I knew they weren't worth the $1900.00 that was on the box, but I figured they were probably worth about what I paid. I would be satisfied, only the speakers sound like crap, some are blown, and the sub woffer has a short in the wiring and you have to "hit" it to get it to work.
    azdrow75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2009, 02:08 PM
    I paid $200.00 for the 6 speaker surround system. They looked great in the box. I knew they weren't worth the $1900.00 that was on the box, but I figured they were probably worth about what I paid. I would be satisfied, only the speakers sound like crap, some are blown, and the sub woffer has a short in the wiring and you have to "hit" it to get it to work.
    pdogg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Same thing happened to me.I almost bought it too.But luckily was in a hurry and didn't have time to get cash.I live in edmonton Alberta Canada.So they must be doing this across north america.
    JoeBeets Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 02:58 PM
    I was also approached in a parking lot, same story, same equipment. Never heard of the brand so I was skeptical, to say the least.
    alexandertsp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 01:13 PM
    I'm form Pflugerville, TX and the same happened to me but I told them $100.00 and I have the system for that price, now if it's sell for $99.00 in china I just bought it for $1.00 more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I set up my Samsung home theater system? [ 5 Answers ]

I have the following equipment but I am not sure of the optimal connections in setting up the system. Samsung LN-S4092D LCD HDTV Samsung HD-DVD Home Theater System HT-TQ72 Explorer 8300 HD PVR Vidéotron Illico Receiver 2 HDMI cables 1 regular audio cable (white and red) The LCD TV has 2...

Home Theater Set-up [ 7 Answers ]

I have the following equipment but I am not sure of the optimal connections in setting up the system. Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV Toshiba DVD Recorder D-R400 Dish Network HD Receiver VIP 622 R Onkyo TXDS656 Audio Video Control Receiver The HD receiver, LCD TV and DVD recorder all have HDMI ports...

Home Theater DVD Player Audio [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my inexpensive home theater DVD player for years, and it now has its first (and most likely last) problem. We played a new DVD movie with only occasional freezing (a couple of seconds), but when we tried to play the bonus features, the only audio we got was out of the sub-woofer. We...

View more questions Search