Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CJWPB Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 08:43 PM
    Children's Rights to Deceased Father's Belongings
    What rights do the minor children have in obtaining a deceased parent's belongings and ashes from their father's widow, of whom he was married only 6 months. There was no will left by the deceased.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 10:55 PM

Where do you live? As different regions have different laws regarding these issues.

As far as I know, in California, unless something is legally willed to a minor, PoD, or another special circumstances, without a will it goes to the next of kin(s) and they delegate it from there.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 06:33 AM

In most states, the minor child has little rights to property if there is a surviving spouse. Some allow a portion to automatically go to heirs if there is no will to the contrary.

Where do you live?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 07:47 AM

While in some states they would be entitled to a portion of his estate, there is no guarantee that means his ashes. You can get a lawyer in your area on their behalf if you want to fight it but generally the spouce keeps the ashes.

Jul 30, 2009, 10:49 AM

We live in the state of Florida. The spouse had previously agreed to split the children's father's belongings, even the ashes, but she has since decided to ignore the request.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 11:17 AM

In Florida the rules for someone who dies intestate are that if there is a surviving spouse and children (lineal descendants) who are not children of the surviving spouse, then the spouse gets 50% of the estate. The remainder gets split among the lineal descendants. The specific rules for who gets what depends on what relatives are surviving - whether in addition to children there are any surviving siblings, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc of the decedant.

I agree with the earlier comment that getting the ashes is probably not going to happen. But the children do have some rights to other assets, UNLESS they were titled to go directly to the new spouse - for example any assets that were owned jointly with right of survivorship, or that he specified as payable on death to her, would not be split with the children.

Jul 30, 2009, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    In most states, the minor child has little rights to property if there is a surviving spouse. Some allow a portion to automatically go to heirs if there is no will to the contrary.

Where do you live?

Florida

Jul 30, 2009, 11:32 AM

As our children's father's former spouse of 12 yrs, I remained beneficiary to all my ex's financial benefits (401K, etc). His widow (married 6 mo's) was not willed anything as my ex had no assests.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 01:01 PM

Also remember to file for SSI if he has minor children because they should be receiving a benefit since he has passed.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CJWPB View Post
    As our children's father's former spouse of 12 yrs, I remained beneficiary to all my ex's financial benefits (401K, etc). His widow (married 6 mo's) was not willed anything as my ex had no assests.
    Lucky for you he didn't have that changed. However, as his spouce she is still entitled to her 50% of his estate (whatever there is of it). Also as pointed out anything jointly owned with rights to the survivor aren't up for grabs either so it sounds like there is a very small estate to be dealt with. You can use the money that you got to hire a lawyer to fight harder if you want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased father's name on the birth certificate [ 19 Answers ]

My son passed away on 7-5-08, his girlfriend just gave birth to his daughter on 2-21-09. The social worker at the hospital (Kaiser) is telling us that our sons name cannot be on the baby's birth certificate. We live in California. The girlfriend is very upset and is refusing to sign the certificate...

Need dna testing from deceased father's child [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get a court order for dna testing for 16 yr old who might be my grandchild. Her mother had moved after the child was born. She had pursued dna testing and at that time my son was in critical condition from a drunk driver who went onto the shoulder of the road and hit my son while he was...

What is the Best Way to Sell My Deceased Father's House? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I'm the Personal Representative for my late father's estate. He had a will and I'm currently completing the Probate Court process to settle his estate. My father left me and my older sister the house in South Carolina. We both agreed to sell it and split the proceeds. My question is...

Stock in Deceased Father's Name [ 2 Answers ]

I recently found some stock certificates in my deceased father's name. He passed away about 10 years ago. The certificates are for 40,000 shares of Combined Penny Stock Fund, Inc. I found out that Combined Penny Stock Fund Inc. recently liquidated for $.01 per share. (Giving these stock...

View more questions Search