Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jul 29, 2009, 09:34 AM
    what is the most recently discovered/hardest to solve, math equations?
    What is the hardest, most difficult math equation to solve? What is the most recently discovered or invented math equation?

Is the Navier-Strokes equations difficult?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 10:31 AM
    The biggest one that is probably at the forefront of unsolved math problems is the Riemann Hypothesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_hypothesis

Prove that the non trivial zeros of the Riemann Zeta-function lie on the critical line

By brute force computation all the known non trivial zeros have been found to lie on this line... but that is not a rigorous proof that they all do.

Jul 29, 2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks Galactus!! Have you ever tried to tackle navier-strokes?

By the way Galactus, I'm only in Algebra, but for some reason I'm really interested when I see hard math, like those. Is that okay? Is it okay to be interested in something too advanced for me?
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Is it okay to be interested in something too advanced for me?
    Why certainly:D

I do that myself. The thing to do with math is go in stages. Get good with algebra. Then calculus. Then differential equations. Then... on and on and on:)

Jul 29, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    Why certainly:D

I do that myself. The thing to do with math is go in stages. Get good with algebra. Then calculus. Then differential equations. Then.........................on and on and on:)

Awww man... I'm impatient :D I want to grab all the books and bury myself in it =)

By the way, it's

Algebra, Geometry, Pre-calc, calculus, trigometry, THEN differential equations, right? MAN I'm a long way...

Is that you with the Ukulele?
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 04:24 AM
    Ukulele? That's a Banjo!! :rolleyes:
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 10:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi
    By the way Galactus, I'm only in Algebra, but for some reason I'm really interested when I see hard math, like those. Is that okay? Is it okay to be interested in something too advanced for me?
    Funny, I feel the same! :)

Jul 30, 2009, 12:25 PM

I can't give anyone a greenie because I have to pass some reputation... =(
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Here is a list of the Clay Institutes unsolved math problems:

Those that, if solved, are awarded a $1,000,000 prize.

Millennium Prize Problems

The Poincare Conjecture was solved several years back. But the man that did it is an eccentric that refused the prize. Can you believe that?

His name is Gregori Perlman. A genius, yet a little wacky. Which isn't unusual. Google the Poincare Conjecture and you will find out all about it.

The math is crazy.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 01:06 PM

Wow, I wasn't aware that prizes were awarded to 'math solvers' :eek: :rolleyes:

Jul 30, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    Here is a list of the Clay Institutes unsolved math problems:

Those that, if solved, are awarded a $1,000,000 prize.

Millennium Prize Problems

The Poincare Conjecture was solved several years back. But the man that did it is an eccentric that refused the prize. Can you believe that?.

His name is Gregori Perlman. A genius, yet a little wacky. Which isn't unusual. Google the Poincare Conjecture and you will find out all about it.

The math is crazy.
    YES!! Something to live for!! (If you're thinking about solving it, don't bother, I'm solving it first). You too Jerry boy =D
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 07:31 AM

LOL! If experts are having difficulty to solve them, you think you'll be able to solve them? ;)

Hey, I checked the site roughly... I can't see the problems :confused: I only saw one, about Yang-Mills and Mass Gap...
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Go to the site and click on link for each problem. It explains what they're about, but it does not get into the actual math involved. That is mighty tough stuff. The Navier-Stokes equation for example. Just looking at it burns up synapses:D

You can Google the various problems, specifically, and find out more about them.

I once found a pdf of Perlman's Poincare Conjecture proof. I don't know if I could find it again or not.

See here: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/math/pdf/0303/0303109v1.pdf
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 08:27 AM

That Poincare Conjecture... shrinking a rubber band at a point? :confused:

I read an article about in on Wikipedia... my head is starting to hurt, lol.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Yes. That is an area of math known as topology. It's tough stuff.:confused:

For instance, I once had a coffee mug that said, "To a topologist, this is a donut".

Makes no sense? Well, from a topological standpoint, a coffee mug and a donut are the same.

Jul 31, 2009, 08:37 AM

=D Poincare Conjecture eh? What is that stuff all about anyway? Wikipedia don't do good job explaining...
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 08:43 AM

Quote Originally Posted by galactus
    Makes no sense?. Well, from a topological standpoint, a coffee mug and a donut are the same.
    Apparently, a spherical coffee mug will be able to 'withstand the experiment' with the rubber band, but not the donut...
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 08:56 AM
    You have probably seen this, but I like this one the best:

Derivation of the Navier?Stokes equations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    abayoff321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 05:21 PM
    A hundred prisoners are each locked in a room with three pirates, one of whom will walk the plank in the morning. Each prisoner has 10 bottles of wine, one of which has been poisoned; and each pirate has 12 coins, one of which is counterfeit and weighs either more or less than a genuine coin. In the room is a single switch, which the prisoner may either leave as it is, or flip. Before being led into the rooms, the prisoners are all made to wear either a red hat or a blue hat; they can see all the other prisoners' hats, but not their own. Meanwhile, a six-digit prime number of monkeys multiply until their digits reverse, then all have to get across a river using a canoe that can hold at most two monkeys at a time. But half the monkeys always lie and the other half always tell the truth. Given that the Nth prisoner knows that one of the monkeys doesn't know that a pirate doesn't know the product of two numbers between 1 and 100 without knowing that the N+1th prisoner has flipped the switch in his room or not after having determined which bottle of wine was poisoned and what colour his hat is, what is the solution to this puzzle?
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 05:32 PM

This is a joke. There is no solution because nothing has been asked. It is just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I solve these log math stuff? [ 2 Answers ]

expand: log base 7 a/5 condense: g log 7 solve: log base 7 5=1/3log base 7 (x-1) approximate using the change of base formula (to two decimal places):

How do you solve this math problem [ 2 Answers ]

How many 2/3 are in 4/5?:mad:

Solve math equation [ 5 Answers ]

solve for x: 5 (to the power x + 3 ) minus (5 to the power x+1) =600

Solve Math [ 8 Answers ]

A $10.00 item has a profit margin of 20%. What is the cost of the item??

Solve this math equation? [ 3 Answers ]

-3/14 divded by 1/2 times -3/7 AND the second problem is: A large department store held a big sale, with all clothing at 35% off, all jewelry @ 75% off, and electronics @ 25% off. It added a 6% sales tax to jewelry and electronics purchases only. Andre purchased a VCR originally priced...

View more questions Search