Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leroy70 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Second floor bathroom plumbing and venting
    I have one bathroom in the house on the second floor I am remodeling and have come across some plumbing issues in the process. I am doing the work myself and want to stay in code.
    I have a rough plumbing diagram of the house and need help with determining what I need to do.
    It is all cast iron pipe for the main drainage and vent stack with some PVC from the sinks and washing machine to main line.

My first issue is the vent stack is rusted out in a spot about 2' long so I need to replace it. It is also the only vent stack in the house and it starts upstairs off the main sewer line draining the tub, toilet and sink in the bathroom as well, there is no additional venting. Is this code? If not what changes must be made?

Also there is no venting for the kitchen sink and washing machine on the first floor. All fixtures have traps. The kitchen sink drains to the 4"main line that runs under basement floor and out to the street. The washing machine has a 2" PVC drain pipe that runs down to the basement and empties into the floor drain. Can I install an A.A.V valve and leave it to drain the way it is or will I have to tie it into the main line somewhere? Also will I have to vent the kitchen sink as well? Can I use an A.A.V valve on it as well?

Thanks
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 24, 2009, 05:01 AM
    I'n sureMark will be along with the correct lay-out for you but I can tell you up front that your design won't pass code. This is true in every code going. Every fixture that has a trap MUST be vented. In your second floor bath the only fixture vented is the toilet plus you are discharging a major fixture,( your toilet) past a unvented minor one,(your tub).

Also there is no venting for the kitchen sink and washing machine on the first floor. All fixtures have traps. The kitchen sink drains to the 4"main line that runs under basement floor and out to the street. The washing machine has a 2" PVC drain pipe that runs down to the basement and empties into the floor drain. Can I install an A.A.V valve and leave it to drain the way it is or will I have to tie it into the main line somewhere? Also will I have to vent the kitchen sink as well? Can I use an A.A.V valve on it as well?
    Check with your local Building Department to see if AAV's are allowed. If they are you may vent both fixtures with AAV's, (see image)
    Good luck, Tom

Jul 24, 2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks for your answer. The diagram is laid out the way I found it when I opened up the floor looks to be the original plumbing work. And is the only bathroom in the house. I didn't think it was within code but didn't know.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 09:50 AM
    Hi Leroy...

Answer these questions... O.K.

What kind of traps are present.. Any chance these are DRUM TRAPS... see image? What state are you in? How far does the drain line for the washing machine travel before dumping into the floor drain? Have you checked with codes enforcement to see if AAVS are allowed in your area? Let me know all... O.K.?

Finally, before cutting into the cast iron vent stack to make any repairs I want you to know that you will need to take great caution and be sure to support the weight of the vent stack with appropriate hangers (or similar) before you make any repairs... see image. I recommend the riser clamp... ;) Let us know if you need info. On this.

MARK
    Attached Images

Jul 26, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Thanks for you answer on the repair. I am going to check on the code for AAV's. I'm in the state of Ohio. I will also take some photos of the plumbing to upload for your viewing.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Thank you for the update.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 27, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy70 View Post
    Thanks for you answer on the repair. I am going to check on the code for AAV's. I'm in the state of Ohio. I will also take some photos of the plumbing to upload for your viewing.
    Since parts of Ohio fall under the UPC this might help. Under the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) ALL VENTS must terminate through the roof, however the UPC will allow a maximum of one AAV per structure, however,. the UPC only allows a maximum of one AAV per structure with the expressed consent of the local inspector
    Good luck, Tom

Jul 29, 2009, 12:58 PM
    I'm in Hamilton Co. Ohio I don't know if this makes a difference to the code. Thanks also for the info on the clamps. I have attached more detailed photos of the plumbing and a rough top view diagram of the bathroom plumbing. Let me know what you think is the best way to address this old plumbing. Under further inspection I found the kitchen sink is vented so it is just the washing machine that is not. The Drain for the washing machine goes down through the floor of the kitchen and then travels about 15 feet where it then makes a 90 degree straight down 6 feet to the floor drain.

Also the traps are just J-Traps on the sink and the tub. Here is another photo of how the tub drain connects to the main line.
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 03:10 AM
    Hey Leroy... great pics.!

I'm a little unclear on what exactly your questions may be.. Are you planning to rip all this out?

I understand the vent stack needs attention and the washing machine is missing a vent... what else do you need to accomplish?

Finally, you forgot to answer these questions from my last post:

How far does the drain line for the washing machine travel before dumping into the floor drain? Have you checked with codes enforcement to see if AAVS are allowed in your area?

Please answer all questions.

MARK

Jul 30, 2009, 04:00 PM

1. I will not tear any of the old pipe out unless I find damage. I wanted to know what I would have to do as far as venting and routing because the plumbing is very old (Covering all bases). If I can just get away with fixing the vent stack I will.

2. The Drain for the washing machine goes down through the floor of the kitchen and then travels about 15 feet where it then makes a 90 degree straight down 6 feet to the floor drain. This is what speedball1 sent me on the code for AAV's in Ohio.

Parts of Ohio fall under the UPC the UPC only allows a maximum of one AAV per structure with the expressed consent of the local inspector.

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3rd floor Bathroom addition plumbing/venting [ 17 Answers ]

I am looking to add a 3rd floor bath(toilet+sink) to EXISTING 2nd floor bath plumbing, but I want to know if my planned piping and venting will work. See attchd file Existing 2nd floor bath layout is in BLACK lines New Plumbing for 3rd floor is RED lines I will put in a 3"WYE at the 2nd toilet...

Plumbing and venting basement bathroom [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Experts, I am trying to finish a basement bathroom with rough ins from when my house was built 5 years ago. Rough ins were all in the wrong places so I had to dig them out. Just wanted to know if my layout and venting looks OK to you. Thanks so much in advance for any help you could...

Bathroom Plumbing, Venting Issue [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have been having issues with my bathroom plumbing. The toilet does not seem to flush properly at times and it gurgles in the bathroom sink and at times the water level goes so high it nearly overflows. I have tried plunging the toilet, but that doesn't seem to do much. However, if I...

Venting bathroom plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a certain size of pipe required to vent a bathroom?

Bathroom Plumbing/Venting Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am doing a bathroom remodel and moving the location of the fixtures to make more use of the limited space. The question is, will the room be vented properly based on the drawing I have submitted. I would really rather not have to run a new vent here. Thanks a lot for your help.

View more questions Search