Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    e2e99 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 08:08 AM
    Is it worth upgrading to a high efficiency oil furnace ?
    Hi, I have a few questions regarding furnace replacement.

First an overview. I live in Quebec, Canada. I have a "Lincoln" oil furnace, installed 20 years ago It works well, I have no complaints.

I also have a heat pump, manufactured by "Heil", installed in 2000, again, no problems or complaints.

During the winter, the heat pump supplies the heating at all times, except when the outside temperature goes below 9 degrees F. Then, the oil furnace is the source of heat. I use about 1/2-1 tank of oil per year.

Now the questions.

1- What is the average life of a furnace. Is it time to consider replacing at 20 years ?

2- I am considering upgrading to a high efficiency oil furnace. Will there be a considerable difference compared with a 20 year old furnace ?

3- If so, is there a problem with oil being in an indoor tank for a long period ( say I have to refill only every 2-3 years. Does furnace oil get stale ?

4- Will the serpentine in my oil furnace (for the heat pump) be compatible with the new furnace ?

5- I am also considering installing a heat recovery air exchanger. The model I am considering (Venmar) can be installed using existing ductwork (one set of inlet#outlet hoses go outside, another set of inlet outlet hoses go on the air intake of the furnace, 3 feet apart. Will this also be compatible with a high efficiency furnace ?

6- My chimney is an indoor brick chimney, with a 6.5 inch terra cotta interior. All seems to be in good condition. Will an insert be required with this type of furnace ?

7- There is a humidifier , a "generalAire" flow through humidifier attached to the furnace (hot air side) below the serpentine for the heat pump. Is this also going to be compatible ?

The reason I am considering the upgrade now, is I can get a 15% rebate from the government, if I replace it , but only for this year.

I will post the exact models of furnace and heat pump if required.

I thank you in advance for all the help, I want to be as informed as possible as I get estimates. I don't mind paying for what I need, but I don't want to pay extra for what I don't really need.

Eric
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 09:58 AM

May I make a suggestion to you? Why don't you contact several oil furnace companies in your area and have them give you an itemized breakdown on all the questions you have posted here. This way you can make an informed decision on your own. We don't know the square footage of your home to make a proper determination and the arrangement of your ductwork.

Also, have you ever thought about having an efficient electric furnace instead of an oil furance for you backup furnace when the heat pump can't work due to the outside temperature? This way you won't have all that oil and tank worry hanging around. I for one don't like the fact that oil furnaces are "dirty" and the air throughout the house is "dirty" with the oil burnoff. I am allergic to this and can't be around any oil burning furnaces. I can't even be around a natural gas or propane fueled furnace. I prefer electric heat as it is much cleaner.
    e2e99 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 10:49 AM

Thanks, for the reply.

I agree , and will be meeting with several reps over the next few weeks. I simply wanted an unbiased opinion from the group, to "arm myself". I understand the answers will be generalities.

For example, having read up on Google, a chimmney liner MAY be rquired since most chimmneys have an 8" opening which allows flue gases to cool causing condensation (and damage) in the chimmney. However, I have a 6.5" opening. So I don't want to buy a liner for nothing !

As for electricity, some residences here have a special arrangement here where the electrical meter is tied to a thermostat outside. Over 9 degrees f 9most of the year), the electricity is cheaper. Under 9 degrees f, it goes up significantly 9which is why the furnace switches to oil.

Some winters, this can happen as much as 30-45 days, other years, as little as 10 days (and of course, with the sun, it is often only at night that the high rate kicks in).

So I am stuck with oil as a back up... sadly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Amana 80 High Efficiency Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Can anybody tell me if my Amana 80 SSE furnace has a Thermalcouple? My furnace started cutting out last night and I started asking around and a couple people told me that's what might be the problem. Someone else told me that my type of furnace doesn't have a Thermalcouple, but...

Briant high efficiency furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Briant high efficiency furnace i.e Air tight burner compartment, inducer motor And exhaust and intake air from side of house etc. I had similar problems with my gas furnace. I was able to solve the intermittent Problem of the furnace not coming on every time the thermostat called for...

Concord 90 plus high efficiency furnace [ 12 Answers ]

For past few days home temperature drops down approx 6-7C degrees at night so I checked the furnace which gives me sometimes (6) LED signals other times (3) LED signals. I followed the back panel instructions also drain out water from tube connecting to motor and restart, however each time it lasts...

Concord 90 Plus High Efficiency Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

If my hubby is correct, our central air also is "powered" by our furnace. For some reason, the air conditioning isn't working right. If you leave it on for more than an hour, it freezes up the lines going to the unit outside and only brings down the temp in the house by one degree! He cleaned it...

Humidifier and high efficiency furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have 7 years old high efficiency furnace and new flow through humidifier. Problem is that I do not have necessary level of humidity in my house. It is never more then 26%, which is dry. Should be between 40-60%. Everything works fine, water flows through humidifier every time furnace...

View more questions Search