Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kozmo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Killing Sumac roots
    I cut down a sumac tree and now I have new sumac sprouts every where. What is the best way to kill all the roots and stop new sprouts from growing?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 05:37 PM
    The only success I have had in getting rid of roots and sprouts is pulling them up, and pulling them up and pulling them up etc.:eek:
    I had a couple Poplars cut down 2 years ago (maybe longer:rolleyes:) and I tried everything.
    I finally got to the point that I drilled holes in larger sections of root and put Round Up in them, that finally did it, but had to wait for a good sized root.
    I'm still pulling up stuff in the front from a California pepper tree, have'nt seen any exposed roots yet to help me (and the stump was ground)

Maybe some one else will have a better idea and I might go with that for my front yard.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jul 27, 2009, 11:20 PM
    Hi! Kosmo, and welcome to AMHD :)

In no particular order or deadliness...

Old-fashioned ways of killing poison sumac include spraying brine on the leaves and shoots to kill them, or pouring kerosene or motor oil on the roots (not recommended, since the entire area would be contaminated) I sure miss the good ol' days.

If you choose to cut down the trees and grub out the roots, be sure to do it in the cold season, when there are no leaves on the trees, and wear total protective gear.
    All saws and hoes must be washed in large amounts of water when you're done, to remove the urushiol.
    Don't burn the wood or roots, as urushiol can be carried in smoke.

Maybe the best solution is to call your county extension agent and get advice on the best herbicide for poison sumac. Maybe ol' billy Penn was right, get someone else
    Don't feel too guilty about using a herbicide; the tree wages its own chemical warfare on whoever touches it!
    reedtwil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Killing these things are about as hard as getting my Texas insurance adjuster license! Salt may not be the best option, you won't be able to grow much even if you kill the sumac. I eventually got my father in law (who works for the forest service) to use some military grade herbicide, but I hear that diesel fuel works great. Just keep it out of open flames, and you'll likely have to replace most of the soil when you want to grow again.

http://www.usstaffingadj.com
    Jo Jo 713 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 07:23 AM
    Hello,, I find your ans very imformable can you please email me to [email protected]... im not on my computer at the moment , on my sosns... ps please don't tell him... lol... thank you joanne
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2012, 09:43 AM
    I do not believe this is poison sumac. Chop the roots and keep chopping. The root system will die without sunlight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Killing tree roots [ 1 Answers ]

How do I kill small tree stumps and roots?

Poison sumac [ 1 Answers ]

Well my mom got poison sumac Really BADLY so she is sick and itchy I have to take care of her. I was wondering if you guys know how to treat it without going to the hospital. :)

Poison Sumac: #1 Pollen exposure #2 Get rid of it! [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to have a reaction to poison sumac without coming in contact with it or with anything that has touched it? :confused: We are renting a house that has a LOT of poison sumac in the back yard. I can just walk toward the yard and my forearms will start to itch. And some nights I...

Poison Sumac... Tree [ 5 Answers ]

I previously cut down a tree and prepared it for firewood. That next spring the stump started to grow and we realized that it was poison sumac! I never knew they grew into trees! I have determined that I have another one about 25' on my property that I intend to take down. My question is how...

View more questions Search