Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CJ12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 02:52 PM
    I seasoned some chicken, added 2 cans cream of chicken, 1 can of cheddar soup, and put in sour cream right before serving... really good over rice.

I am going to start cooking everything on low... that seems the way to go to get a better outcome
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2009, 02:54 PM

Ooh that sounds yummy let us know how it turns out
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 09:30 PM

Let's see. I make a killer chili in my crock pot. I make delicious macaroni soup (not what you think but better), killer spaghetti sauce from scratch, pot roast and a few other things. I never cook on high for more than to heat the contents up then the temp goes to low for the rest of the time. Sometimes I cycle my soup down to warm and then back to low. I cook my soup for at least 1 and a half DAYS before it's ready. Ditto for my spaghetti sauce.

I think you've realized that your crock pot can't take the high setting without really causing havoc to your chicken. Chicken is best cooked on medium or low heat and for longer periods. Even when I make chicken in the regular oven I cook it at least one and a half to two hours at 325 or 350 to get it tender and yummy. Chicken dries out quickly on a high heat. It's best to add water to the crock pot when cooking chicken to ensure it won't dry out.

I like NM's comment of start cooking it the night before on low. That should work in your situation quite well and make your chicken taste really great. Crock pots are not for quick meals less than 6 hours. The longer the food cooks at lower temps the tastier it gets.

I forgot Swiss steak and Beef Stroganoff. Both killer meals from my crock pot. Yummy.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2009, 09:32 PM

Oooh I forgot chili and spaghetti awesome twinkie!
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 09:43 PM

Jennie - You'd love my chili. I can make it thin or so thick a spoon stands up in it. With or without beans and all from scratch. I usually make 2 big crock pots full and freeze individual portions for taking to work for lunch. Very filling.

Only problem with the chili - my son usually eats several three bowls of it before I can freeze it!!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Chili recipe, please:D
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 06:45 AM

I make it from scratch too. I make 2 crockpots full but usually because if I'm making chili that means my parents and my brother and my sister and their familys are coming. And lots of them like HOT chili. So I make both ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Chili recipe, please:D
    Ok, here goes. This is my own made up recipe from years of cooking.

1 pound ground Angus meat 86%
    1 big can crushed tomatoes - DiFratelli's is best
    1 big can whole tomatoes - DiFratelli's is best
    1 big white onion
    1 big green pepper
    1 big sweet red pepper
    Chili powder
    1/2 small can tomato paste
    1 cup water
    1 big can red kidney beans
    1 big can light red kidney beans or pinto beans

I always double this recipe as I do two crock pots at once otherwise I don't have any chili to put away as my sonny eats it all and also since I only use 1/2 small can of tomato paste I don't waste the other half of the can of paste!

Anyway, I put the ground meat in the crock pot with the water and the lid on set on high. When the meat is thoroughly cooked I break it up into little pieces. I do not drain out any grease as the grease gives the chili good flavor. Then I put in the green pepper and onions cut into medium pieces and cook them a little with the lid on - say 1/2 hour on high.

Then comes the whole tomatoes. I cut each one into little chunks and make sure I don't include the end that had the stem connected to it. Then I thoroughly wash in running cold water all the kidney beans and add them. Then I add the crushed tomatoes. At this pont I add salt and pepper and lots of chili powder sprinkled all over the top, stir it in good and add more chili powder and mix again. I never measured out the amount of chili powder as I just keep adding it until it tastes right.

Your mixture should almost be over the top of the crock pot! Yes, I know, I know. But trust me, it all fits in a 5 qt crock pot with ease. If you feel better you can take some out of the crock pot and put in a different crock pot and even it out to cook. It will cook down.

Then I cover the crock pot with the lid and turn on high until the mixture starts to bubble. Then turn down to low and let cook away. I stir it up every hour or hour and a half letting it cook for at least 4-6 hours. If the mixture seems a bit thick just add about 1/2 cup water and stir in the water. After 6 hours on low I turn it down to warm and let cook away for another 6 hours still stirring on a regular basis. When I feel it has cooked long enough and tastes okay to me, I then turn it back up to low and let the chili bubble away for about another hour. At that point the chili is ready to serve. It is generally a very thick chili with lots of meat chunks and pepper chunks in every bite. I have let it cook as long as 2 days!

The longer this chili cooks the better it gets. When it is frozen and reheated it gets even better.

If you like my chili, you'll love my macaroni soup. It's not what you think it is. If anyone is interested I'll be happy to oblige with a recipe that is a really filling soup. A friend of mine in Russia makes this soup and all the guys at the naval base love it and want seconds and thirds. She never heard of it until I gave her the recipe for it. She gave me her stew recipe in return.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 02:34 PM

Hay that's my recipie! Cept I don't put in

1 big white onion
    1 big green pepper
    1 big sweet red pepper

I'm allergic to onions and all pepers. Grr.

About the only thing we do different is I fry the beef separately in a skilliet with chili powder
    ANB428 Posts: 450, Reputation: 42

Jul 24, 2009, 02:44 PM

You guys have provided some AWESOME recepies and I can't wait to start cooking them up. I am totally going to try this chili recepie since both of you have practically the same recepies. Jennie, I don't like onions and peppers either. :) I am not allergic to them, but I will probably omit them as well. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 02:48 PM

I think the worlds greatest canned chili is NALLY!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 03:14 PM

There are onions in NALLY.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 03:23 PM

? No there isn't. I would get hives if there were. They must be powered onions, or freeze dried onions.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Oh! OK, that's good if you can handle the freeze dried or powered!:D You need to add that to your chile! It really does add a great taste even if you can't handle the fresh.

I myself hate green peppers and won't touch them even if dehydrated!:eek: But the red and yellow and purple I LOVE:D
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 03:37 PM

Ooh OK ill try that next time :) thanks hon.

Yeah I guess its just the juices or something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chicken Stock vs. Chicken Broth? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first time asking of you Gentle Folks. I've recently found the advantage to using canned chicken broth to start my chicken soups and other dishes. However, what's the difference between "chicken stock" and "chicken broth"? It has come up because I have a couple of coupons for...

Crock Pot [ 13 Answers ]

Does anybody have any recipes for crock pot dishes? This would be a great time to share. (;

Crock Pot Recipes [ 23 Answers ]

Hey everyone I was given a crock pot and I'm just so curious to use it.. I've never used 1 before but now is the time. Can you guys recommend any good pot roast recipes or any good crock pot recipes... Thanks

Crock Pot [ 2 Answers ]

How long can you keep the food in the crock pot on Warm? Can you put the Hot crock pot of food into the refrigerator?

Crock pot [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to cook a pot roast in my 6qt crock pot. It's call a "Crock Watcher". It has an auto function besides low and high. I lost the book on this and wondered if anyone was fimiliar with this pot, and if was OK if I left it on 'auto' overnight, then swith to low in the morning till dinner time.

View more questions Search