Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PEKSAV Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 03:16 PM
    Yard King Hydrostatic Transmission
    Hello

I have been given a Yard King, 22hp, Model 52161X89A, SN: 7405807592N00182, built in 1999, and am trying to get in running order.
    The engine now runs good but I am having problems with the hydrostatic transmission. It is slow to respond forward and even slower in reverse.
    I found a plastic reservoir on the transmission, it was empty. Next to it is a in-trans fill plug, this is full.
    My questions are: 1) What is the plastic reservoir for? 2) What is the fill plug for? 3) Would a lack of fluid cause slow movement in reverse? 4) Where can I get good diagrams for my Yard King?

Thank you for your time
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 07:10 PM
    Hi,
    Some transaxles have two fill points. The one on the transaxle is for initial fill and the reservoir serves the dual purpose of final fill and heat expansion. Trapped air in a transaxle after service does not easily exit to reservoir.
    I have attached parts breakdown, no manual found.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf yk52161X89A.pdf (270.7 KB, 1388 views)

Jul 22, 2009, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the quick response and info
    I too have that part breakdown but cannot find the reservoir or fill on it. What type of oil goes to the transaxle-motor oil or tranny fluid?
    Thanks

Jul 22, 2009, 09:10 PM

Hi,
    With recent machines and the sophistication of the additive packages in oil, most now work fine on 10W30. After years of using special fluids, it took a bit of convincing to "sell" me, but I'm sold.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 23, 2009, 01:12 PM
    Thanks all for your information

Jul 23, 2009, 01:53 PM

Hi,
    Just a follow-up. The parts breakdown shows a Peerless or Spicer transaxle. Do you happen to know what brand it actually is?
    Peace.
    Clarke

Jul 23, 2009, 07:54 PM

No I do not know which transaxle it is

Where would an ID be located to figure this out?

Thanks

Jul 23, 2009, 08:40 PM

Hi,
    My guess is you have a Tuff Torq. It often is cast in the housing and there is a tag on the axle housing, usually the right.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS I ask because you say hydro and the drawing is gear.

Jul 26, 2009, 03:56 PM

crigby,
    The plans do show gear, that's one of my problems. I can't find plans for my trans. I will need to find the tag and let you know.
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yard King Mower [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has an older model Yard King Mower made by Murray. It is model #50561X89. Does anyone know where parts can be found?? The mower is in excellent shape but needs a couple of things replaced. Thanks, Tamara

1997 mtd yard machine hydrostatic lawn tractor [ 1 Answers ]

To whom it may concern: I have a few problems to fix on my tractor, but can not afford a service manual at this time. I have gone "on line" through the Google search engine in hopes to find a "Free down load " site, but have had no luck. To all out there, Please advise, all information is...

Mtd Yard Machine / Broken or stuck hydrostatic relief valve ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello People, I have a 1997, 46" deck, Hydrostatic lawn tractor. The relief valve worked fine for a few years, then just stopped working. This valve when activated will allow the tractor to be moved with the engine off ! I have followed the relief lever to the linkage back to the point of...

View more questions Search