Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkahne Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Marry a canadian indian with status card///i am from the US
    What kind of papers and where would I get them and file them... I want to marry a canadian Indian... with status card, I live in the U S and he lives in canada... we want to get married in the US however we might go to live in canada within a year or 2... where to start...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Could not find any tried and tested rule printed in the internet regarding this. He will have to call his Immigration people at the Canadian consulate because his status is somewhat different then an ordinary Cdn. Citizen because he is a native indian. I am not saying it is a downside. Native canadians have more privileges that circumvent ordinary rules. :)
    ascendo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 02:30 PM
    Well... Is he US Citizen that has been in the US for 5 years. Then he would be considered a US Citizen... As for Canadian Citizenship - he would be able to move back to Canada with u - but he would have to submit a Spouse Application with Immigration Canada http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

Spouse

You are a spouse if you are married to your sponsor and your marriage is legally valid.

If you were married in Canada:

* You must have a marriage certificate issued by the province or territory where the marriage took place.

If you were married outside Canada:

* The marriage must be valid under the law of the country where it took place and under Canadian law.
    * A marriage performed in an embassy or consulate must comply with the law of the country where it took place, not the country of nationality of the embassy or consulate.

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

* failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
    * defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
    * received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
    * were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
    * defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
    * are in prison or
    * have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search