Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alllizon Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 11:20 PM
    Bugs biting me in my bed but cant see them
    I go to bed at night and feel something jump on me and start to bite me. It itches but doesn't hurt. Just very annoying. Something along the lines of fleas, but can't see them at all. Like to small or something. Cause I sat there one night and waited for them to start to bite and then looked for them and couldn't find anything. They don't seem to come out unless it is warm cause if its remotely cold they don't seem to bother me. Someone please help me.:D
    Torrid13 Posts: 637, Reputation: 149

Jul 21, 2009, 11:22 PM

Bed bugs, perhaps?

Jul 21, 2009, 11:33 PM
    I looked up bed bugs and it doesn't seem to be them. Reason being cause u can see bed bugs, and you can't see these.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 03:06 AM
    Eliminate the obvious causes first.
    Are there new sheets on the bed? The sizing applied to new fabrics can cause skin irritation, as can an allergy to a new detergent.
    Is your bedroom very dry? Skin dryness can itch.
    Static electricity can cause the hairs on your skin to stand up and feel like something crawling.
    New carpeting or paints can release vapors that can cause reaction

You say it happens more when it's hot. Try working up a sweat elsewhere and compare the sensations. Similar? Different?

If none of that applies, start looking very closely at the site of the irritation. Is there a bite mark? Swelling? Redness? Inflammation? All those? Some? None?
    jjjaj Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 09:13 AM

People have been talking about these little round white bugs since 2006. No one seems to know what they are and exterminators think you are crazy! I also have this problem and sat up one night to see where they come from. I felt them on my legs and feet. I took a piece of tissue and brushed downward toward my hardwood floor and lo and behold there they were! I used the tissue to pick some up and put in a medicine bottle to have looked at. If you try to pick them up with your hands they go translucent!

I mopped my floors with Clorox water and that made for only one night of uninterrupted rest! They came right back out within the next couple of nights. I am looking for someone to look at these things for me. Will let you know what I find out.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 10:26 AM
    jjjaj, try a local school. Your nearest high school will at least have a microscope to examine them. A college should have a Biology Department if not an Entomology Chair. Your county/province may have an agricultural office you can show them to.

Jul 22, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Good suggestions! I have been working on finding sicentific people today! I think I will start at the Health Department. Maybe they can give me some names.

Jul 22, 2009, 11:47 PM
    Well I haven't changed my sheets or blankets for about a year or two and have used the dame detergent for the past 4 years. No markings from them. That's a good idea on maby my room being dry, how do I check and/or fix it if it is? Next time I feel them I will see if I can maby catch one but will be hard since I can't see them. Thanks for all the helps guys, very much apperciated.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alllizon View Post
    Thats a good idea on maby my room being dry, how do i check and/or fix it if it is? Next time i feel them i will see if i can maby catch one but will be hard since i can't see them. Thanks for all the helps guys, very much apperciated.
    Checking for dry air is easy. Place a small bowl with 1/4 cup (100ml) of water in it in a safe place near the bed. Under it is okay as long as you don't forget it's there. 24 hours later there should be at least 3/4 of the water left.

Fixing can be as simple as keeping an open container of water in the room to a small decorative waterfall to a cool-mist vaporizer, depending on how dry.

Jul 23, 2009, 06:28 AM

Allizon:

You are correct in your analysis. These are not from new sheets! This is not skin irritation. Thatis something pest control salesmen have said to me. It is simply that they don't know what they are. As I recently posted, I have caught some of them. It is not hard at 3:00AM when you can literally brush them onto the floor from the side of your bed with a tissue! I have contacted my local university, a national pest control agency to get some help. A zealous student is our best bet! I may have to buy my on microscope! I am not going to let these little critters run me from my home. As I mentioned before, I have hardwood floors and the house is about 80 years old so there may be cracks in the floors. I watched them slowly squeeze themselves through the cracks. I will get back as soon as one of these people tell me what they think these are.

Jul 23, 2009, 06:30 AM
    Allizon:

You are correct in your analysis. These are not from new sheets! This is not skin irritation. Thet is something pest control salesmen have said to me. It is simply that they don't know what they are. As I recently posted, I have caught some of them. It is not hard at 3:00AM when you can literally brush them onto the floor from the side of your bed with a tissue! I have contacted my local university, a national pest control agency to get some help. A zealous student is our best bet! I may have to buy my on microscope! I am not going to let these little critters run me from my home. As I mentioned before, I have hardwood floors and the house is about 80 years old so there may be cracks in the floors. I watched them slowly squeeze themselves through the cracks. I will get back as soon as one of these people tell me what they think these are.

Jul 23, 2009, 11:22 PM
    My house is also really old. 80+ years too. Going to try to see if my room is just dry or not tonight.

Jul 24, 2009, 05:15 AM
    In order to see them you need to brush them onto something. Something tan usually works for me. The truly look like a lint ball at first but I noticed when I step on them on my hardwood floors I do hear a crunchy sound. I tink they are something coming in from the outside of the house maybe through cracks in the foundation?

Jul 24, 2009, 05:15 AM
    In order to see them you need to brush them onto something. Something tan usually works for me. The truly look like a lint ball at first but I noticed when I step on them on my hardwood floors I do hear a crunchy sound. I tink they are something coming in from the outside of the house maybe through cracks in the foundation?

Jul 24, 2009, 05:21 AM

Allizon:

Also check around the baseboaards where the floor and the molding meet. I think that's where they are coming in my house especially when it rains. I don't see them laying on the hardwood until really late at night (1 or 2 am).
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 24, 2009, 05:28 AM
    jjjaj, are you having problems with your internet connection? A couple of times your posts have been duplicated.

Alllizon, if you don't have a dryness problem, you might consider a wetness problem that allows fungi to grow. The last week or so several people have come on with what sounds like a reaction to mold spores.

Check for dryness, let us know.

Jul 24, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Catsmine: I think I hit the post button when I didn't hink I was logged in. Then I logged in and hit the button again. I didn't think my first post went. It just sat there looking back at me! Sorry! To your point, I do think old homes like mine and Allizon's have particular problems. I am really holding myself back from using an agricultural pesticide that might be dangerous!
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 24, 2009, 10:11 AM
    jjjaj, I leave myself logged on to avoid those problems.

With older homes, mildew and fungi are a more common problem since the buildings have had time to settle and drafts to develop. Newer construction is also more airtight since the advent of air conditioning.

We have several construction experts that occaisionally look in here, they may be able to help with those questions.

For now, get that sample I.D.'ed. When we know what you have we can help you control it.

Jul 24, 2009, 10:14 AM
    My appointment is today at 4P! Talk to you tonight!

Jul 24, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Checked for dryness. Left it in my room over night and a little bit longer and there was no lost in water at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone found a solution for the invisible biting bugs [ 24 Answers ]

I'm just wondering if all of us that are experiencing these invisible biting bugs have something in common. The reason why I say that is that these things only attack certain people. Has anyone explored a possible link to prescription drugs? I myself take about 5 different prescribed drugs. ...

Invisible biting/stinging bugs [ 59 Answers ]

We live close to several farmer's fields and have gotten overwhelmed by some type of grain mite. As of yet, no one has been able to identify which specific type. Have tried many different sprays along w/ the exterminators advice. Anyone know how to get rid of these things. We have lost a couch...

What are these almost invisible biting bugs in 1 room of our house? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and for the last year we are getting bites from some invisible flying bugs. We have bombed the entire house, sprayed the front and back yards including the foundation of our house as well. The bites are small raised red bumps that really itch. They seem to bite more at night. ...

Tiny black biting bugs [ 5 Answers ]

I was lying on my bed on the top of the covers for 20 minutes and felt an itch on my back. I scratche it several times and when I got up I looked in the miror and saw three bites. I found a few small black bugs(smaller than a pin head). What can they be? With a magnifing glass they look like tiny...

View more questions Search