Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vera Jones Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Summons-Civil Case Credit Card Debt
    I have just received a Summons for Credit Card Debt. I would greatly appreciate assistance in understanding the following:
    "You are hereby summoned and required to serve upon the plaintiff's attorney a copy of an answer to the complaint within 28 days after summons. Your answer must be filed with the Court within 3 days after the service of a copy of the answer on the plaintiff's attorney. If you fail to appear and defend, judment by default will be rendered against you for the relief demanded in the complaint."

This is for a Cap One Credit card. Amount due $3400.00 A copy of the contract was included along with past invoice.

I received the summons n 7/9/09 while gone for the week. My time is running short.

My question... No where on this summons does is say when I am to appear before court. Or how to respond with my "answer".
    Should I contact the court or the Attorney. I would like to settle out of court for a lesser amount. Please advise as how to best proceed.
    Your time and consideration is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 21, 2009, 04:37 PM

There are dozens of threads here that deal with this. A hearing is not scheduled until you file your answer. If you don't file, they get a default judgement so no hearing is needed.

If they have a copy of the contract, then you will, most likely lose. But you should still file your answer as indicated. You can check with the court to see what form the answer needfs to take, but small claims is pretty informal. A simple statement that you Intend to Defend against this suit might suffice.

Then send a copy to the plaintaiff with an offer to negotiate a settlement.

Jul 21, 2009, 05:06 PM

Thank you Scott for your quick response. I will contact the court to see what forms are necessary to proceed. I will update if possible. Very SCARY time, I did indeed read many of the posts regarding this matter, I'm just unsure of the legal language. Thank you again. Vera

Jul 22, 2009, 04:35 PM

I contacted the court and explain that I wanted to settle this debt. I was told to call the attorney (plantiff). I did so, and settle. Payment to be deducted from checking account. I asked if I needed to inform the courts, but was told by the plaintiff that the firm would cancel the debt. Do I need to Cover myself and still send this information to the county court clerk?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Do not trust the plaintiff. Make sure you get the settlement agreement in writing before you give them your checking account number. Then send a copy to the court. Asking for a dismissal.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera Jones View Post
    I contacted the court and explain that I wanted to settle this debt. I was told to call the attorney (plantiff). I did so, and settle. Payment to be deducted from checking account. I asked if I needed to inform the courts, but was told by the plantiff that the firm would cancel the debt. Do I need to Cover myself and still send this information to the county court clerk?
    Whether you intend to settle is of no concern to the court. Just get the answer filed. Then negotiate settlement with the plaintiff, get that in writing, and send a copy to the court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a Civil Summons in NC over credit card Debt [ 13 Answers ]

Need Help! I was served with a Civil Summons on July 7th, I have 30 days to respond. I am not disputing the debt, I just do not know what to say in the correct format. In my response to the SumMons can I propose a re-payment proposal, also do I just concur in the response to the debt provide the...

Civil summons for credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a civil summons and have 14 days to respond to the court and lawyers office. I read allot on this site, so I decided to call and see if I could settle. They agreed if I paid $1380 within 30 days on a $1960 debt.. is this fair?. also, now how do I answer the summons?. theres no block to...

Civil summons over credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

We were served a civil summons last night over 7685.00 credit card debt we are not denying the debt what I need to know is can we settle this debt out of court and what is a fair amount to offer and will the lawyer set up payments for us.

Civil Summons for Old Credit Card Debt [ 8 Answers ]

I was just served with a civil warrant over an OLD credit card debt (from college). I have not heard from this creditor in YEARS. I am trying to find the date of last activity on the account, but the original creditor is not showing up on my credit report (only the debt collector). The affadavit...

Civil summons concerning credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a civil summons from a credit card, guess they are suing me.I had been working with a company for over a year to help me out with this... so what are my options... I need help quick, sounds like they are getting ready to eat me alive, or that is the way it seems... :eek:

View more questions Search