Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 12:06 PM
    I'll post pics when I get them. He is strangely camera shy and runs, even backwards, whenever he sees a camera.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 12:21 PM

Many years ago I had a lovely Samoyed, male, and every summer I would have him shaved, not right down, because they burn easily, are as susceptible to melanoma as we are. I was told by the groomerthat he had to have a pom pom on the end of his taill because I regulates their body temperature. Apparently they can get chilled easily when shaved. I also learned over time that he didn't have to be shaved, their double coat protects them from heat and cold.

I hope they left a bit on the end of his tail.

Good for you, J-9, Newfies are lovely pets, big and lumbering, but very affectionate and very aware of their size. Love to swim, too, but I guess you know that.

Kindest regards

Tick
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Tick, the groomer did not touch his tail or his head. They left quite a bit of fur on his entire body, it's just that he's scratching it off in what looks like stripes on both sides. Mom was told that he is highly allergic to fleas and that this has happened before, she just couldn't afford the vet bills any longer. I'm trying to avoid the vet if I can, but I can afford to take him if we have to. I just know that there are some home remedies for this dry skin.

As a nurse, I'm trying to use my critical thinking skills as to what to use. Someone told me to rub those areas with wesson oil, but I'm not too sure about that, although it does make sense.

We have decided to stay away from the oatmeal and are using Excel Hydrocortisone Spray. We feed him one fish oil tablet a day along with an odor free garlic tablet. We are hoping that the garlic will keep the fleas away naturally.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 12:43 PM

I have never tried garlic but I've heard it is supposed to work really well, same with lavendar.
    Diatomaceous Earth is another natural remedy but it works very slowly.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 12:45 PM

It sounds like you have all bases covered. My training allows me to treat my dog with common sense and what I do usually works, although she is pretty problem free and always has been, just some minor glitches in her l2 years with me.

Right now I am getting her through her senior years with a supplement specifically for her sight, joints, muscles, appetite and it seems to be working, her step is perky again !

Tick
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 12:51 PM

Fish oil and an egg yolk (remove white) a few times a week helps ,just add it to the kibble.I used it on my German Shepard for years.

There is also a possibility that he could have a bacterial or fungal infection which could be passed to your other dogs.

I have used the oatmeal paste for relief on hot spots and it worked.You would think it would make them even more dry but the vet recommended it and it did ease the discomfort.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 01:04 PM
    I'm pretty sure it's not a fungal infection as mom told me that it happens with stress and/or diet, as well as a terrible flea allergy.

So yolk not whites huh?

Anyone know if the garlic will repel the fleas? We are using that on all 4 dogs now.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 02:09 PM

My sister is all green and she uses brewers yeast with garlic and is very happy with it.
    The combination seems to be more effective than just garlic alone.Can be bought in a health food store.
    There are also other benefits for the dog,but I don't know what they are.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    My sister is all green and she uses brewers yeast with garlic and is very happy with it.
    The combination seems to be more effective than just garlic alone.Can be bought in a health food store.
    There are also other benefits for the dog,but I don't know what they are.
    Very interesting. The combination, in humans, helps to keep our bodies free and clean of bacteria. People who use this combo also have fewer fungal infections and seem to have a healthier digestive system.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Very interesting. The combination, in humans, helps to keep our bodies free and clean of bacteria. People who use this combo also have fewer fungal infections and seem to have a healthier digestive system.
    Thanks for the info.I did not know the benefit but she is happy with it and I know she researches everything she gives her dogs.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Don't know if it works for dogs, but it does for humans.

I'm trying garlic because I use it in my houseplants. Keeps all bugs away and is natural.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:18 PM
    One quarter cup of brewers yeast in a quart of water and spray on. I went through my old books of old remedies. If you like beer then, you will have a dog that smells like it. No, just kidding. There are cautions apparently with garlic, it can make a dog lethargic. Best to check with vet first, is what it says. In this case it was a travelling vet or a person that did that as well as shoe horses. So, yes, the book is pretty old. But came from an old part of Toronto where our street had blacksmiths (they doubled up as midwives too). I knew you would like to hear that J-9 !).

You should have a pretty good asrsenal gathered by now, or a pretty good list. Maybe you should add vet to your list of accomplishments too, after this !

Tick
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I have never tried garlic but I've heard it is supposed to work really well, same with lavendar.
    Diatomaceous Earth is another natural remedy but it works very slowly.
    Shaz, diatameceous earth is pretty abrasive. I know it doesn't look like that. I use it to kill snails around my flowers. It tears them to pieces if they try to cross over it. Nice try:rolleyes:

Tick
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:20 PM
    LMAO Tick!! They were not human midwives were they?

I'll keep a watch on the garlic... got some brewers yeast in the cupboard.

Sorry, but have enough on my plate without adding vet to my list. LOL
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    LMAO Tick!!! They were not human midwives were they?
    Of course, that part was a man's world and I guess if they thought they could deliver livestock, it was the same for a human baby ! Deliver the foal and then run in the house and deliver the baby and get paid $l0 bucks. Good business ! No wonder the mortality rate was so high in the l850s. Well they did their best with what they had, you have to give them that.

Tick
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    of course, that part was a man's world and I guess if they thought they could deliver livestock, it was the same for a human baby ! Deliver the foal and then run in the house and delivery the baby and get paid $l0 bucks. Good business !

tick
    Glad those days are over!!
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Just Dahlia agrees: well.. now I am crying :(
    No reason to cry Dahlia, cause you'll just make me cry.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:56 PM

What is dahl crying for ?

Tick
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Cause he was the last piece of Dad that Mom had. Now I'm teary too.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 03:02 PM

It is a celebration of life, J-9. It isn't sad. I think its wonderful that your mom had that lovely dog to pass on to you for care. Nothing to be sad about. Think of it as a piece of your dad in that dog, no don't do that... your dad would not have care for fleas, or being shaved like that or all this stuff put on him to make him better... I had better stop there.

Hugs to all

Annie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Skin Lighting - Bio Claire & African Queen MJ Skin Crème [ 7 Answers ]

I started using Bio Claire for 2 months , in the beginning I got lighten like I would say 2 shades. I am Indian, I have light brown - Medium Skin. My skin tone was even and it glowed. I use the Bio Claire all over my body and face. I had started with my body first cause I didn't want my face to...

Is there a cream to promote / increase skin cell exfoliating in middle age (50) skin [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! My skin has really changed since I hit the big "50th birthday. It has become dryer, flakes, thick patches and seems like the dead skin cells don't slough off and just pack into my pores creating hard tiny bumps (sometimes dark color) below the surface and the skin thickens over. My guess is...

Dark skin women making their skin lighter [ 7 Answers ]

How could a dark skined women make there skin lighter without damaging their skin

Has any one used neoprosone gel forte to lighten skin or as a skin lightener [ 70 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this site but I wanted to know if any one knows about neoprosone gel forte. I have been using this cream for six months now I have had very good results, but I just wanted to know if any one has the same out come as me. I was using mono to depig my skin, but after 8 months of...

Would skin whitening creams make skin that is red (because of blood) look white? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been wearing pants for two years and a jacket for almost a year (no matter what the weather) so I can pale out. My arms and legs though, are embarrassingly red. Apparently, it's increased blood flow to those areas, and it's a genetic trait of Northern Europeans. I want to use whitening...

View more questions Search