Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iLLyriC Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Install Windows 7
    Hi everyone.
    I want to install windows 7, but I don't know if my processor support it (is it a 32-bit, 64-bit or x86? ), and can anyone tell me what are the difference between those 32 - 64 -86 bit versions, or better, what are they at all??

thanks

here are my PC configurations

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6448/configu.jpg
    http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5143/dxdiag1.jpg
    http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7567/dxdiag2.jpg
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 16, 2009, 12:46 PM
    32 bit install
    x86 refers to the chip design.

In my opinion DON'T even think about putting Win 7 on this machine as it will run as slow as a dog and you will have serious usability issues.

The CPU is under powered, you are lacking RAM and the graphics are seriously out of date.

Jul 16, 2009, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    32 bit install
    x86 refers to the chip design.

IMHO DON'T even think about putting Win 7 on this machine as it will run as slow as a dog and you will have serious usability issues.

The CPU is under powered, you are lacking RAM and the graphics are seriously out of date.
    I don't understand exactly what you mean by "The CPU is under powered" can you tell me more about that, and how do I get the updates for my graphic drivers?
    I tried to put some more ram, I added a 512mb ram and my PC doesn't start at all... can you tell me what kind of ram do I have to buy? Thanks for your fast reply!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 16, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Don't waste money trying to upgrade this machine as it simply isn't worth it.
    XP will run fine, and better with more RAM, but Win 7 is a hungry beast and needs way more power than you have available.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 01:34 PM
    I don't understand exactly what you mean by "The CPU is under powered" can you tell me more about that, and how do I get the updates for my graphic drivers?
    I tried to put some more ram, I added a 512mb ram and my PC doesn't start at all... can you tell me what kind of ram do I have to buy? Thanks for your fast reply!
    Most newer CPUs are dual cores or quad cores. They can process more instructions in a given time. This is "Power" to a computer.

Graphics drivers need to be updated by the companies that make the graphics cards or chips. They usually are available without charge by those companies. However, many companies abandon older cards and never update their drivers. Therefore, new drivers simply aren't available.

The type or RAM you have to buy depends on what your motherboard is built to handle.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:23 PM

You can run this utility that will examine your system

Overview
    Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor scans your PC's system, programs and devices to check if it's able to run Windows 7. After a few minutes, the report will let you know if your PC meets the system requirements, if there are any known compatibility issues with your programs and devices, and will also provide guidance on your upgrade options to Windows 7.
    Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta

Jul 17, 2009, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    You can run this utility that will examine your system

Overview

Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta
    Thanks for your answer, but this is all I get when I try using this program

seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 08:34 AM

Windows 7 system requirements

To run Windows 7, system requirements:

*1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    *1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    *16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    * DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
    If you have drive space, you can always dual boot to see if you like it.

Right now you can download the Release Candidate and MS will give you a working Product Key that will be valid till March 10, 2010
    Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install linux with windows xp already there [ 7 Answers ]

How to install fedora 7 with windows xp already installed.I am a lay man,so tell me step by step

Can't install Windows XP Professional [ 3 Answers ]

Mine PC is all aboust to clash now so I want to start over by installing the Windows XP Professional but the message show up I have a new-er version so I can't install it. What to do now.

Install Windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Install Windows XP without floppy or cd drives from HDD.

Can't install windows xp pro - argh [ 1 Answers ]

Built my new computer from scratch, as rock 775 twins motherboard, pentium d 840, 1gb ram, geforce 6600gt, maxtor 160gb, sony dvdrw. However I can't install windows xp pro, I get to "press enter to continue with installation" and I do, and it restarts! I've tried using ide harddrives, sata ones...

Windows won't re-install [ 2 Answers ]

My system crashed and so I formatted my 20g hard drive on another machine and then used tried to reinstall windows from the CD. I get this error message " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". I have tried to remove all the hardware...

View more questions Search