Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alex Goodwin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 08:43 AM
    No water coming from hot water tap
    Hello,
    This morning I had a shower.. no problem the water was piping hot as usual I got ready and went to work. My wife, who works nights, got up a few hours later and also had a shower... no problem. When my wife tried to run the hot water tap a few hours later to do some washing up there was no water coming from the tap at all. It has been cold... but water was coming out of the hot water tap as normal when I got up at 7am. There has benn no unusual demand on the system we have no guests or excessive demands. Can you suggest a possible cause?? :confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 7, 2007, 09:34 AM
    If it is really cold in your area the hot water pipes can be freezing , especially if they run through an outside wall. Hot water pipes freeze before cold water pipes. Until you solve this problem and get hot water flowing I'd say shut off your main at night. If you don't do that then at least open some faucets just a crack to allow water to trickle at night. Moving water will not freeze as easily as stagnant water. If you can reach the supply lines try adding heat with a hair dryer or similar tool. Do not use a open flame to heat pipes inside wall spaces.
    Camry1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 07:04 PM
    I have no water coming through any of my hot water line only when I turn on the cold the water comes out of cold lines
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Hey Camry1

You are in an older post... best to repost question so you are at top of list of questions instead of back here at feb. 7, 08.

For now, tell me what faucets are involved? Kitchen, bathroom, tub/shower?

Sounds like you have cold water at all fixtures... Most likely that isolates this problem to your water heating source. What heats your water? How old is water heater (or source of water heating)? Get back to me... repost so the experts online can evaluate.

ruffcat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Camry1 View Post
    I have no water coming through any of my hot water line only when I turn on the cold the water comes out of cold lines
    I have no water coming through any of my hot water line only when I turn on the cold water does cold water come out of the cold water lines.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 16, 2009, 07:55 AM
    I'm curious. You posted the same question back in March of 08. Now you're back with the same complaint over a year later. What was done in 08? Or are you just getting back to it now. The time spread confuses me. Regards, nTom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 09:06 AM

Tom, I think this is Ruffcat first post, the previous ones were posted in March 2008 were by Alex Good win and Camry1,

Ruffcat please post a new one, Thanks.

John
    michaela5656 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2010, 12:48 PM
    We had the same problem today. Cold water was working fine, heating was working fine. In the end I had to go up in the loft with a heater radiator and a hairdryer to find the cold pipe. We have lagging upstairs but it was so cold that the pipe must have frozen. Just be careful if you heat this up that you don't get a leak afterwards.. hairdryer worked though!
    paula321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2013, 10:39 AM
    I have no hot water through my kitchen tap but got hot water in the bathrooms have you got any idea why.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2013, 10:46 AM
    Yes if you tell us the brand and the model number of your faucet, Thanks
    openup01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2013, 03:19 PM
    Hi
    Had a knew boiler fitted about 6 weeks ago... 2 weeks ago had to reset the boiler no hot water or heating.. rang the engineers who installed the boiler and talked thorough resetting the boiler over the phone... now radiatator in front room does not work and try to put the hot water tape on in the kitchen and just trickles out slightly the hot water and then hot water completely stops... anybody got any advice... please..
    Engineering returning in the morning at 9.00 need advice before he returns... never had any problems with this before with the old boiler

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water coming from cold water tap [ 15 Answers ]

Hot water is coming from 2 cold water taps and one upstairs toilet, turns to cold after 15-20 seconds, it comes out very hot. Thought it might be Bleeding through faucets, so changed laundry tub and kitchen faucett. Still does it. The cold pipes seem to get hot from near the water tank. The dip...

No hot water from the bath tap [ 4 Answers ]

The hot water is only trickling out of the bath tap and comes to a stop although the washbasin hot tap is working- bathroom is upstairs. We have the same problem with the kitchen hot tap the water is only trickling and soon comes to a standstill. Can anyone help. Kind Regards, anr

Hot water from cold water tap [ 7 Answers ]

We recently had a plumber in to raise the temperature in our shower. He fiddled about, turning various supply pipes on and off and then deemed he couldn't do anything as he didn't have the part. Although he is supposed to have put the system back the way it was, we now have hot water coming out of...

Luke warm water from hot water tap [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a condo (efficiency) that was converted from a motel. I 've had and have problems with hot water in taps. The unit is old and the feed pipes from the hot/cold water supplies are not accessible. Last year all I got was luke warm water from the shower and two taps in the unit. I had a...

View more questions Search