Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luggy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Backfire through the carb 17.5hp kohler
    Hello, I have a 17.5 hp kohler cv491s on a 2004 deere riding mower. At 40 hours the engine through a rod. I disassembled the engine, the crank was okay so I polished up a little. I replaced the broken connecting rod and reassembled. I am 99% sure of the timing mark alignments on the small gear and the large gear. After reinstalling I found the carb to be gummed up from sitting a little over a year. Fuel pump is fine so I cleaned the needle and seat etc. and the fuel shut off solenoid seems to be working-it clicks when plug and unplug with the key on. Now backfires through the carb all the time and will not run. Is there anything that could cause this other than the timing being off?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 15, 2009, 07:13 PM

Hi,
    I would say you did not get the flywheel tight enough and you sheared the key. Barring that you will be going back in to check those timing marks.
    Backfire through the carb can only mean the ignition is arriving with the intake valve open.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    luggy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Thank you crigby. I did not remove the flywheel and never gave a thought to the key shearing when the rod broke. Thanks again.
    bht930 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
    I did the same you did on my 17.5 kohler .in my case the cam wore out a lobe good thing I had an extra.now works perfect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backfire on tecumshe 10 hp engine [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 hp tecumshe engine on a generator I use when things like katrina start happening. Anyway I put it up for 2 years whth stabalizer in the gas and ran it once in that time. The last time I started it it was gummed up. I removed the carb. And rebuilt it but it backfires & pants, it does...

Toro ccr2000 backfire [ 5 Answers ]

1992 Toro ccr2000 snowthrower model # 38180 that backfires. When warmed up seems to run OK. Thought it was a fuel problem so I eliminated the fuel filter, it runs better but still backfires when cold.Please Help :)

Kohler motor blowing oil into the carb. [ 4 Answers ]

We have a Sears riding lawn mower with a Kohler Command 14.5 hp motor. Ran fine until it stopped. It is now blowing oil into the carb via a short hose that appears to come from some kind of breather on the front of the motor (facing forward in the chassis). I have no experience with Kohler and...

Carburetor backfire [ 3 Answers ]

17hp Kohler backfiring through the carb. Water was in the gas but now O.K.

View more questions Search