Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adkhkr Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Connecting 4" Cast Iron to PVC
    I am installing a basement bathroom and am going to connect to an existing septic system via a new line out of the basement under the slab and footing to the outside. Under the slab in the basement is going to be 4" PVC, but code says I need a 5' section of 4" cast iron under the footing. I am also going to use 4" PVC outside to the septic. I picked up the cast iron and connectors but was wondering if what I have is correct before I go ahead with the installation. Attached are pictures of what I have.

I will have more questions about this, but this is going to kick-off my project.

Thanks.

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 06:03 PM
    You are correct with the cast iron hub and neoprene donut (1st image you posted).

You are not correct where you transition from cast iron to PVC...

You will want to double check with local codes enforcement but the best transition coupling to use here will probably be to use a 4" FERNCO COUPLING... see 1st image. Although used frequently as a repair clamp this clamp is specifically designed for underground use.

Otherwise, you may be required to use a 4" cast iron x 4" PVC SHIELDED CLAMP... 2nd image.

Let us know when we can help more...

MARK
    Attached Images

Jul 14, 2009, 06:20 PM

Seeing how both ends of the pipe will be underground, one outside and one under the basement slab, I want to go with whatever is the best solution. Is that second solution you showed a no-hub band? Would it be better to use that on both ends and cut off the belled end of the cast iron? I like to err on the cautious side.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 06:24 PM
    A no hub band cannot be used here unless you purchase a specific PVC to NO hub transition fitting... then you can install a no hub clamp.

I posted a SHIELDED TRANSITION CLAMP... mostly used indoors , however.

I think best bet here will be the FERNCO CLAMP (see image)... made specifically for underground piping like this! I am betting that it may be best to cut off the hub, too... some people have trouble connecting the donut type to pipe.

Be clear, however, that this is a tricky answer because some inspectors simply don't like a certain clamp type. If this is being inspected ask your inspector what he wants... TO BE SURE!

MARK
    Attached Images

Jul 14, 2009, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the help. To recap, I will use the Fernco Clamp on both ends and cut off the one side with the belled end. This is the most reliable method, right? Having these pipes underground where I can't get to them again scares me.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adkhkr View Post
    Thanks for the help. To recap, I will use the Fernco Clamp on both ends and cut off the one side with the belled end. This is the most reliable method, right? Having these pipes underground where I can't get to them again scares me.
    If it is outdoors and buried, then you are better off using the Fernco.

If you are still concerned about the connection, then install a PVC clean-out a foot or so before you make the transition to cast iron and bring the clean out up to finished grade for future access.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting a PVC to a cast iron hub? [ 1 Answers ]

First of all thanks for the help on my previous question. I found diamond tiped sawsall blade to cut the cracked castiron pipe. But my confidence is still low. I looked at the pipe again to see how far the crack is. The 3" castiron pipe has a vertical crack that goes very close to the castiron hub...

Connecting ABS Shower Drain to Cast Iron [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new shower kit which came with a drain kit that will not attach to cast iron. The manufacturer says they do not have a drain kit that fits cast iron, the drain must be 2" PVC. I didn't find this out until I had ripped out the old shower. The 2" cast iron drain is set in concrete and...

Connecting Pvc to cast iron. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a drain galvanized pipe from my sink that goes to the basement. It is connected into a cast iron pipe at the floor level. I have two leaks in it. (50 years old) one is 6" above the cast iron pipe. It is sealed with lead. How do I replace it with PVC? Horace Oliver

Connecting pvc to cast iron [ 1 Answers ]

How can I connect a pvc pipe to a cast iron bell? What type of adhesive should be used?

Connecting PVC Line to Cast Iron pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I am adding a second bathroom to an older 1-1/2 story house. I had planned to tie into the existing waste line. The existing toilet is on the first floor and discharges directly into a vertical cast iron pipe which appears to be 6 inches in diameter. This vertical pipe connects in the crawl space...

View more questions Search