Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellinghamal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Adding shower plumbing to an existing tub (only).
    I currently have a bathtub that has never been plumbed for a shower. I have just opened the wall and see there is a vertical stub from the tub water supply. Is this a job I should get a real plumber to take care of? Should I open up all of the sheetrock from the tub supply to where the shower stub will come out of the wall? Thanks in advance...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 12:39 PM

A tub has a 1 1/2" drain and a shower requires a 2" drain. What is the rough in drain you have?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 12:51 PM

On top of Ballengerb1 advice, I would add mine too, if your question is only how to add a shower raiser,it will be easy to work to open up all of the sheetrock from the tub supply to where the shower drop ear elbow goes and it needs a support, also to use the Sharkbite drop ear elbow and Sharkbite coupling, see the images below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 12:54 PM

Good catch by John, I read this postwrong. If you have a tub and what to add a shower to the tub you will need the parts John listed PLUS a new tub valve diverter valve. You current mixing valve does not have a diverter and likely can't be converted. Replacing A Bath Tub Faucet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding Shower To Existing Garden Tub! [ 5 Answers ]

I need some advice on how to add a shower to a beautiful existing garden tub we have in our master bath. The tub came with the house we bought back in 1990. We have carpet in our bath which has become old, stained, and a bit moldy and plan on re-doing the floor. However, the tub is a bit of a...

Adding a soaking tub to an existing shower [ 1 Answers ]

What can I use to place inside the shower to use as a portable soaking tub?

Adding Shower to Existing Tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and just bought our first home, actually, we're closing on it this Nov. 29th, and our first project involves installing a shower head. The home we purchased is over fifty years old, and the woman who was living in it, only had a tub and faucet. So, we'll need to add plumbing to...

Add a shower without existing plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing bathroom in my basement with a toilet and sink. I would like to install a shower in the bathroom as well. I would like to know if this is possible and if so, how. Thank you!

Adding shower to existing lav over a slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to add a stall shower to an existing half bath. Over a slab... I have never done this before and considering doing it myself... I can sweat pipe and can do basic carpentry... I know I need to jackhammer the floor remove and tap into the toilet line... are there any special concerns...

View more questions Search