Ask
    thakur_1481 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 02:26 AM
    journel entries of service tax in tally
    Journal Entries in Accounting

Examples of Journal Entries
    Adjusting Journal Entries

What is a journal entry in Accounting?
    Journal entry is an entry to the journal.
    Journal is a record that keeps accounting transactions in chronological order, i.e. as they occur.
    Ledger is a record that keeps accounting transactions by accounts.
    Account is a unit to record and summarize accounting transactions.
    All accounting transactions are recorded through journal entries that show account names, amounts, and whether those accounts are recorded in debit or credit side of accounts.

Double-Entry Accounting
    To record transactions, accounting system uses double-entry accounting.
    Double-entry implies that transactions are always recorded using two sides, debit and credit.
    Debit refers to the left-hand side and credit refers to the right-hand side of the journal entry or account.
    The sum of debit side amounts should equal to the sum of credit side amounts.
    A journal entry is called "balanced" when the sum of debit side amounts equals to the sum of credit side amounts.

T-Account
    This form looks like a letter "T", so it is called a T-account. T-account is a convenient form to analyze accounts, because it shows both debit and credit sides of the account.

Account

Debit

Credit

Transaction 1: Company A sold its products at $120 and received the full amount in cash.

Steps

Self-Questions

Answers

What did Company A receive? Cash.

If Company A received cash, how would this affect the cash balance? Receiving cash increases the cash balance of the company.

Which side of cash account represents the increase in cash? Debit side (Left side).

What is the account name to record the sales of products. Sales.

Which side of sales account represents the increase in sales? Credit side (Right side).

Does the sum of debit side amounts equal to the sum of credit side amounts? In other words, does this journal entry balance? Yes.
    $120 = $120

[Journal entry to record transaction 1]

Debit

Credit
    Cash

Sales

Transaction 2: Company A purchased supplies and paid $50 in cash.

Steps

Self-Questions

Answers

What did Company A receive? Supplies.

If Company A received supplies, how would this affect the supplies balance? It increases supplies balance.

Which side of supplies account represents the increase in cash? Debit side (Left side).

What did Company A pay? Cash.

Which side of cash account represents the decrease in cash? Credit side (Right side).

Does the sum of debit side amounts equal to the sum of credit side amounts? In other words, does this journal entry balance? Yes.

$50 = $50

[Journal entry to record transaction 2]

Debit

Credit
    Supplies

Cash

Debits and Credits of Accounts

Debit

Credit

Increase in asset accounts

Decrease in asset accounts

Increase in expense accounts

Decrease in expense accounts

Decrease in liability accounts

Increase in liability accounts

Decrease in equity accounts

Increase in equity accounts

Decrease in revenue accounts

Increase in revenue accounts

Normal Balances of Accounts

Accounts have normal balances on the side where the increases in such accounts are recorded.
    Asset accounts have normal balances on debit side.
    Expense accounts have normal balances on debit side.
    Liability accounts have normal balances on credit side.
    Equity accounts have normal balances on credit side.
    Revenue accounts have normal balances on credit side.
    On the financial statements, accounts are reported on the sides where they have normal balances.
    Liability accounts have normal balances on credit side.
    Equity accounts have normal balances on credit side.

Balance Sheet

Assets

Liabilities

Owners' Equity

Income Statement

Expenses

Revenues
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2009, 01:10 PM
    You haven't really said what you need. Much of this just looks like info that was provided to you from another source, i.e. explanation of journals and ledgers, what a t account is, etc. The questions under transaction 1 and transaction 2 are all correct. Except, please tell me that this:

Which side of supplies account represents the increase in cash? Debit side (Left side).
    Is a typo. Cause the supplies account doesn't represent anything to do with the cash account. So the question is false to begin with. However, they are both debit accounts, so your answer works either way. (The question should be: which side of supplies represents the increase in supplies.)

Everything that is underneath those transactions I don't get... I don't understand if that is more info being provided to you, or whether there was a question there that you were supposed to answer, but you've provided no question. And the whole section of "Debits and Credits of Accounts" I don't understand. I think you may have been attempting to create columns, but they don't work - so it's impossible to tell what is supposed to be what.

On the financial statements, accounts are reported on the sides where they have normal balances.
    That is a false statement. But again, I don't know if you were attempting to answer some question that you didn't include, or if this was info provided to you. But this last is a false statement. Financial statements are not about debits & credits. They are simply a reporting of account balances, certain totals and sub-totals, etc. The columns on a statement are not debit & credit columns. The columns are merely used for organization. There could be 3 or 4 columns. If you will look at the example here:
    Multiple-Step Income Statement | AccountingCoach.com
    You'll notice that a few expenses are listed to the list (just as a list, not as debits), but all sorts of stuff is listed to the right, including revenues, expenses, sub-totals and totals. That right column is certainly not credits. It's just a reporting of numbers in an organized manner.
    shylendra babu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 04:56 AM
    Dr Servicetax Collecteable A/c

Dr Education tax collecteable A/c

Cr Serivce tax liablity a/c

Cr Education tax liablity a/c

Step:2

Dr Service tax liability a/c

Dr Education tax liability a/c

Cr Service tax payable A/c
    Cr education tax payable a/c

Step:3
    Payment of service tax

Dr service tax payable a/c
    Dr education tax payable a/c
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2012, 02:39 AM
    This is ridiculous, Have you even opened a text book?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting of Post Dated Cheque in Tally [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know about PDC entry in Tally. Tally have a option to enter PDC with just pressing Ctrl+T with a future date. Here is my query... 1.If the future date is above the prevaling Financial Year, how we go about this?? 2.When it will be displayed in Supplier Ledger?? Thank you

Journal entries: Sales service 100 of which 20 was on cridit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone it is nice to see a community like this where everyone can learn, thank you askmehelpdesk.com and all of it people for this great and wonderful site:). I was having problem answering this part of the question, It say to do a journal entries for: Sales of Service 100 of which 20...

View more questions Search