Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omnicat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Craftsman lawn tractor engine dies when clutch disengaged
    It starts up just fine. The mower blades are not engaged... but when I let up on the clutch/brake, the engine dies - even when it's in neutral.

What is wrong with it?
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Jul 7, 2009, 03:19 PM

If you are sitting on the mower at the time, it sounds like the seat safety switch is not working properly.

You can bypass it to tell for sure. But make sure you hook repair it or hook it back up once you figure out the problem. It is an important feature.
    Wayne001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2010, 11:33 AM
    My JD Sabre model 2048HV (Hydrostatic Vehicle) (bought used) just started doing the same thing. At first, the starter would not engage, so I tested the brake/clutch safety switch with a tester, and it was bad. So I replaced it, and it started just fine after that. However, when I went to disengage the brake/clutch pedal, it would immediately die. I could tell that the engine was being grounded electrically, by the way it shut off. Further investigation found that the previous owner had bypassed the seat safety switch. This couldn't be the problem, I thought, since it's acting as if you are seated. But on a whim, I undid the wires, and retested the tractor. It now starts and runs just like it should. What changed, I have no idea, but at least it's working now. And to think I was going to tape down the brake/clutch safety switch...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman lawn tractor Kohler cranks, backfires then dies [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old 15.5 Kohler engine Craftsman ride on mower that cranks for quite a bit, then starts, backfires then dies. I have changed the sparkplug which made no difference. Any tips? Dennis

Craftsman 16 hp 42 in. Lawn tractor won"t engage when clutch is released. [ 1 Answers ]

Once the mower is started, the engine runs fine, until the clutch/brack pedal is released, then the engine quits. Where would be the first place to check for a problem? Grateful for any answers!:)Thanks!

Craftsman Lawn tractor engine dies [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (model #917-257481). The engine dies when I pull out the PTO switch to engage the mower. Have replaced PTO switch and the "clutch" switch. It still does it. I can hear the PTO engage. With the new "clutch" switch installed it also dies when you let out the clutch. I...

Lawn Tractor Disengaged [ 1 Answers ]

Troy built lawn tractor starts and runs fine, but doesn't engage the drive or the blades after I took the deck off. Any suggestions. To clarify, the motor is not turning the pulleys to move the belt to turn the blades. Also the motor doesn't turn the wheels to move the lawn mover. Something...

Craftsman 20.0 electric start 42 inch automatic lawn tractor mower clutch [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Craftsman 20.0 hp electric start 42" mower automatic lawn tractor Model 917.270940 and it appears the cable that allows you to engage the blades has broken. How do you either fix this problem or do we need to purchase a new cable. If we need a new cable how is it installed... I need...

View more questions Search