Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 09:12 AM
    Black stool?
    Hello. This is a bit embarrassing, but after reasearching, I would like some opinions here as well as I trust many of you ladies and gentlemen's judgements.

For the last 2 days, I have been sick. With a sinus infection mostly. But possibly the flu as I had a fever and body aches and now diariah (spelling?)

Yesterday I noticed my stools are A lot like a new borns stools. You know the type. Black. Mucus filled, tar like. We called it 'velcro' poop cause it just DID NOT come off baby's bottom easily.

I looked it up, and I now know it could be because of too much iron, certain foods with dark colors (like licorice or blueberrys) or it could be internal bleeding or an ulcer.

Can anyone think of ANYTHING else? I have a doctors appointment on Thursday already. But I would really like to know if it could be something else other than bleeding (or Melana as they called it) because I have not eaten any dark colored foods nor have I taken any iron or eaten any foods with a lot of iron in it.

Thanks.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 09:24 AM
    All I can think of is iron, do you use cast iron for cooking? Vitamins? Maybe something in the medicine you are taking for your cold? :confused:

Hope you feel better soon! :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 09:25 AM

What type of meds you are on ?

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 09:30 AM

I MAY have over dosed on dayquil/nyquil (the gel caps) . I took some dayquill at 4 yesterday, and then the nyquil at 7 before bed. I didn't think anythign of it THEN cause my head was so full I just didn't care lol
    But I started wondering about it this morning.

I also took 1200mgs of IBurpophin. (too much I know, but my doctor used to give me 800mgs and I would take 2, so I figured I would be OK with 1200mgs of over the counter motrin)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 09:36 AM

If you didn't have a decent meal in your stomach before you took the Nyquil or the Ibuprofin, then that is what caused the black stool my dear.

That will be $l00 US for the diagnosis :eek:

Tick, hugs
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 09:38 AM

I am thinking it may have been the motrin.I have had dark stool from it in the past.
    A black stool usually means that the blood is coming from the upper part of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. This includes the esophagus, stomach, and the first part of the small intestine. Blood will typically look like tar after it has been exposed to the body's digestive juices. Stomach ulcers or inflammation caused by ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin are common causes of upper GI bleeding.
    MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Bloody or tarry stools
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 09:48 AM

Lol OK. My stomach HAS been empty for a few days, simplly because I just don't have an appitite (who can eat when you blow your nose and see yellow and green guck in your tissue! Yuck!) not to mention I am just so tired and sore, I barely do anything other than sit here on the computer or lay down.

Mmm maybe ill take some tyenol if I get a fever again instead of ibuprofen or asprin (I usually take asprin but I didn't have any)

Thank you both. Ill definitely let my doctor know about it, and ill let you guys know if it clears up after NOT taking the meds anymore.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 03:42 AM

I would say it could be the meds and your cold leaving your body. Iron turns more of a green color and constipates.
    Your body is probably just cleansing itself too.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:04 AM

Thank you everyone :) its all gone. And I am getting better too, so whether it was the meds, or the cold or what, I'm not sure. But its not happening anymore which means no bleed :D yay!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gel like stool [ 1 Answers ]

My 4 year old "winnie" dog/Jack Russell is passing a gel like stool. Yesterday we noticed him dragging his hind parts across the floor and leaving a red stain. We watched him thinking it was a "fisher" or some sort of tear in his back side. Well today it has changed to this gel like stool and I...

Air in stool [ 1 Answers ]

When I run water in the kitchen sink air comes out the stool in the bathroom.

Lose of appetite,black loose stool [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small mixed breed puppy that is 7 months old.the past week he has been very picky about his food.. as of today the only thing I could get him to eat is dehydrated chicken strips.and he drinks lots of water.He poop has also changed to a dark loose stool,he is still very active and playful.I...

What looks like black worms in mybabys stool what are they? [ 2 Answers ]

Mybabys 4 n ahalf months old he's abig boy for his age he's over 20lbs and he's bin eating since he was 2months old I gave him banana last week and he was fine he eats babyrice and fruit and milupa dried foods.hes bin abit restles and moanin a lot more than usual since Friday not wanting to sit in...

Red in stool [ 1 Answers ]

My Mother who is 62 has had red in her stool, she blames it on eating to many beets. Can this be true and if so how long does it take to leave your system?

View more questions Search