Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bottlebob Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Tiny bugs in my kitchen cupboards - Pest control
    I have tiny bugs in my kitchen cupboards, which move onto my worktops. I only discovered them by leaving a pile of papers on the worktop which they seem to be drawn to. It is hard to describe them as they are too small to get a description (between 1 and 2.5mm in lenth). I think they are brown. I originally thought they were black but they could be brownish. They don't fly.

I cleaned out all of my cupboards. It seems they had found there way into a unopened packed of spagetti and pasta too.

I have thrown away almost all of the contents of my cupboards and will buy containers to store products in future, however they still seem to be crawling around. I've even found them in pill packets (they seem to like paper/cardboard).

Do I need to look for a nest or something similar. I've only had the problem for a couple of months, it seems to be worse not better. I'm at a loss what to do, please advise!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 02:07 PM
    These sound like cigarette beetles, or their close relative drugstore beetles.

Image Search Results

Image Search Results

Both of these are known as "pantry pests" because they feed on things stored in homes. Check your entire pantry, particularly pet food and doggie treats.

Once you have found and disposed of infested materials, a residual insecticide spray in your cabinets before you replace the shelf paper should keep them from rebuilding the population. (Hint; use the non-smelly kind of sprays)

Jul 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Thanks for the advise I will try this.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:44 AM

Hi, bottlebob!

Catsmine has provided you some excellent advice here which also helps me because I have the same problem!

Thanks!
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 02:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, bottlebob!

Catsmine has provided you some excellent advice here which also helps me because I have the same problem!

Thanks!
    Your humble servant, sir.

Jul 7, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, bottlebob!

Thanks!
    Well I've just finished clearing everything out of the kitchen and sprayed inside and outside of cupboards. I'm going to leave over night to thoroughly dry out, then give it a good clean.

Fingers crossed!

All my food will be in containers in future, I don't want to go through this again.

Good luck with yours.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebob View Post
    Well I've just finished clearing everything out of the kitchen and sprayed inside and outside of cupboards. I'm going to leave over night to thoroughly dry out, then give it a good clean.

Fingers crossed!

All my food will be in containers in future, I don't want to go through this again.

Good luck with yours.
    DON'T use detergents when you clean. They will clean up the bugspray, too. Or you can re-spray right before you put down the shelf paper.

Jul 7, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    DON'T use detergents when you clean. They will clean up the bugspray, too. Or you can re-spray right before you put down the shelf paper.
    Ok thanks, just hot water then. How long, approximately, should I wait until I can do a full clean up?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 11:24 AM

Is it just me or have I seen this same post several times in the last few days and each time its posted it gets locked...
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    is it just me or have i seen this exact same post several times in the last few days and each time its posted it gets locked...
    It's just you.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebob View Post
    Ok thanks, just hot water then. How long, approximately, should I wait until I can do a full clean up?
    Do the clean-up, dry, then re-spray, since you've already sprayed once. A second dose probably won't hurt providing the finish on your shelves can handle it.
    katzh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 09:17 AM

bottlebob, please let me know what you used to rid yourself of these pests. I've found in my pantry what you described, and have had to throw out all boxed items and any loose packaging outside of containers sealed tight. How frustrating! Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny black bugs on the kitchen floor [ 10 Answers ]

I have these tiny, less than 1/8 inch black bugs on my kitchen floor. I can't really even tell where they are coming from. I have no food stored in any of the cabinets near the site from which they are appearing. The cabinet next to where they keep appearing just has cleaning products, sponges...

Bugs in kitchen cupboards [ 3 Answers ]

I have got tiny little bugs multiplying in any paper work I have in my cupboard, I've cleaned cupboards with bleach but don't no what they are or how to get rid of them

Tiny bugs, look like a tiny brain [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, It is that time of year again and those brain bugs are back. They fly, are kind of grey and don't seem to do much. They are around my bay windows and other sills, one on a wall here and there but not as much as the Bay. I was told once they might be sill bugs. Have no idea where they come...

Bugs in kitchen cupboards [ 1 Answers ]

I've got tiny little bugs in my kitchen cupboard and they seem to be living and multiplying in ant paper I have in my cupboards. Help! I've cleaned out the cupbaords with bleach but don't no what they asre or what to use to get rid of them

Pest Control on BED BUGs [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested to know if there shall be any respite immediately when I use the Naphthalene Balls to eliminate the Bed Bugs. I have an idea of making powder of the naphthalene balls and stuff the same in small plastic pouches and spread the same in different parts of the bed and cover it with bed...

View more questions Search