Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mona McKamie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 12:59 PM
    My son excludes his family for his in-laws
    Although I know how much my son loves his family he does not include us in holiday get togethers. He puts his in-laws first and leaves us waiting at the end of the line. We want to be involved in his life as much as his inlaws.
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Jul 1, 2009, 01:06 PM

Have you mentioned this to him?
    Do your family have a good relationship with your sons wife?
    Is he the one inviting over his in-laws or is it his wife who is in charge with inviting guest?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 03:39 PM
    It's all about balance.

Why not plan the next event at your house, well in advance. Let them know that they are invited, along with your daughter-in-laws family too if they wish to come.

Have a big shebang barbecue for a birthday for example. Maybe your son's?

Another thing you might try is before, dare I say it, Christmas is on the horizon, again, well in advance, even September, suggest to your son and his wife over dinner at your place, that you'd love to have them agree to coming to your house for the holiday.

It's important that you invite them both. Putting pressure on him as an obligation he has to explain to his wife, will only build resentment.

Tell them that, although you understand obligations to both families can be a tug of war sometimes, maybe they could agree to every other holiday at your place.

Maybe you just have to go in the backdoor on this one, in a positive way, without any resentment, but just straightforward thinking to please everybody.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 03:42 PM
    There's really no excuse for that, unless you live a great distance away from him and his in-laws live relatively close. Talk to your son about alternating holidays with the respective families (or even joint celebrations) without accusing or putting him on the defensive.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 1, 2009, 03:46 PM

He might be overcompensating while trying to prove to his in-laws that he's a member of their family. I would just talk to him, if you haven't already, and try to find a balance. It sounds like he's a newlywed, so balance should come with time.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 07:05 AM

Does he know how you feel? How can he change if you don't tell him your concern?

It's not easy to divide 50/50 exactly. But should suggest to him that he spend more time with your family.
    topkay Posts: 27, Reputation: -3

Jul 6, 2009, 03:00 AM

Please call your son and discuss this issue with him. To be frank he may not be doing this intentionally. He definitely cannot be doing this to hurt you. All you need to do is to discuss this with him so as to know his mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International marriage and divorce laws in regard to american laws [ 3 Answers ]

Dateline: U.S. resident from panama in national guard gets stationed in panama and gets married U.S. resident comes back from panama (without wife cause she does not want to leave her country) U.S. resident becomes a naturalized citizen of U. S. Naturalized U. S. citizen gets american...

Family Laws [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about filling for full custody I have a 8 month old and my husband is no longer taking care of her and I am with someone else who takes care of her with me now and my husband is out somewhere doing drugs and hasn't seen her since she was 2 months old

California car sales laws-smog laws [ 1 Answers ]

If I sell a currently registered vehicle in California and write on the bill of sale as is buyer responsible for smog, am I still responsible if it fails smog

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

View more questions Search