Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmoody Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 05:25 AM
    How to convert a low flow kitchen faucet to regular faucet
    We purchased a beautiful used pullout kitchen faucet, spent $34.00 for additional parts and installed it in a vacation home. It looks great, works fine and no leaks. However, after installing it we fine out it is a low flow faucet. How can we convert it to a regular flow faucet.

PLEASE HELP US.

Margie & Larry
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 5, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Most low flow faucets are restricted at the aerator, (see image) on the spout.
    Remove yours and see if the flow increases. If it does then purchase a regular aerator and install it. Good luck, tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 5, 2009, 06:04 AM
    Hi Marge and Larry...

Remove the aerator (see image) at the end of the faucet and then run the water without the aerator in place. Is water volume improved without the aerator in place? If so, if you look inside the aerator you should see a black O-RING in place under a plastic screen. Pop the screen up and out and then remove the O-RING (I use a needle or the tip of a knife). That should allow maximum water to flow out the faucet after that.

Reassemble and see how much of an improvement is made.

Let us know how you make out.

MARK

PS: HI TOM...posted while you were posting...;) I'm still gonna leave it because I think that most aerators today have the ORING and want them to try that!
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jul 5, 2009, 06:28 AM
    No problem Mark! You just gave a better answer then I did.

Jul 5, 2009, 08:03 AM
    When I removed the aerator still in water saver mode.
    I removed the aerator from my kitchen faucet, still a water saver. Would changing the cartridge in the stem help with increasing the water flow. The water pressure before installing this faucet was good. We don't have the brand name of the faucet. We bought it at a flea market. It works great other than the water flow.

Please help.

Margie & Larry
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 5, 2009, 08:17 AM
    The brand name should be on there somewhere. Are you quite sure that you didn't dislodge some minerals built up in the pipe walls that's now clogging the inlet ports of the cartridge? Try this, Shut the water off to the faucet, open it up and remove the cartridge. Now hold a pan over the open valve and turn the water back on full. You should have a strong stream. If not click on back and tell me about it. We still need a brand name so we can help. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 5, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Of course, try what Tom has recommended, but I also just reread this post and this is a pull-out spray handle... right?

Unscrew the spray spout from the hose and turn on the water... how is the flow without the pull out spray handle on? If improved without it in place, then turn the spray handle upside down... you should see a vacuum breaker restricting the flow... use a screw and remove it... that should restore full flow.

Otherwise, last thing to check is to be sure the shutoffs are open full and/or that the hoses underneath have not gotten kinked.

Let us know...

MARK

Jul 7, 2009, 04:57 AM

Finally figured out the problem. I had replaced a flat washer with an o-ring (couldn't find a washer that small) and when I tightened it down the o-ring wound up blocking the threaded tube that feeds water into the pull-out. Now the faucet works great. Thanks for your help!
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 7, 2009, 05:06 AM
    And we thank you for the update. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure/flow in kitchen faucet only [ 7 Answers ]

I installed a new faucet Dec 7, 2007 in the kitchen which is on the second floor of a three level single family house.--it is a single handle lever type (Pegasus). The faucet worked fine for about 70 days and then the water flow decreased to a trickle... immediately, no gradual slowing. I...

Water flow is a trickle in the kitchen faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I am told it is not the pressue Valve, what can it be?

No flow of water in my one of the faucet in the kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

In my kitchen I have 2 sinks. One in island and the other big sink. The big sink I do not have enough flow of water (hot or cold)> it was good until yesterday suddenly the flow ofwater decreased. I have good pressure in other sink. Please help me

No water flow in the kitchen faucet [ 1 Answers ]

The water flow in the kitchen faucet just stopped one morning. This is a single handle faucet with the spray attached (not attached to the same base). Using responses given to people with similar problems, I tried the following a. I checked the aerator screen. It is clean but no water flows when...

Low flow from kitchen faucet [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all. I’ve got a Price Pfister single-control kitchen faucet, about 1.5 yrs, with a low flow problem (both hot and cold). I took the aerator out about month ago, with no improvement; it seems to be getting worse. The side sprayer is Ok – output is fine, definitely a lot more than the tap. ...

View more questions Search