Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Connect plastic toilet flange to cast iron drain
    I am replacing a toilet on a concrete floor in my basement. I plan on tiling the floor so I want to tile first and then replace the toilet so it sits on top of the tile. I removed the old toilet and found a cast iron drain pipe, a mangled metal flange and some type of rubber stopper the previous installer must have used to fit the toilet on. I know the drain size is 3" because when I removed the stopper, I inserted a 3" piece of PVC pipe into the drain to check the size and it fit perfectly, nice and snug. Can I attach a 3" toilet flange directly to the cast iron or are there other considerations that I don't know about? What would be the best way for me to go raising it high enough for backerboard and tile? I'm using Schluter-Ditra for underlayment. Thanks for any help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Hi Wmorg55:

If it is possible to post a picture here I could tell you EXACTLY what you need, but usually the following will work:

You'll want to install the tile first and then install a TWIST AND SET FLANGE... or a similar cast iron to PVC flange with screws inside the flange to pull up on the outer neoprene sleeve (2nd and 3rd images).

Dry fit the flange to be sure you are all set. Then, after the tile is installed install the new flange and secure it through the tile (will need a 1/4" masonry drill bit).

Let me know if you have questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 11:47 AM
    I have a 3" PVC pipe that fits exactly into the drain without the stopper. Can I seal a plastic toilet flange to it and stick it deep into the drain. Will that work? Enclosed is a photo. The rubber stopper the previous installer used is on the right. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WMorg555 View Post
    I have a 3" PVC pipe that fits exactly into the drain without the stopper. Can I seal a plastic toilet flange to it and stick it deep into the drain. Will that work? Enclosed is a photo. The rubber stopper the previous installer used is on the right. Thanks for any help.
    That isn't a stopper -- It is a part of the old wax ring and should be thrown away.

The Twist and Set flange mentioned earlier really is your best option.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 4, 2009, 12:51 PM
    Like Iamgrowler said... throw out the old wax ring horn (black plastic piece) as that is not required here.

The pipe doesn't look deep enough for a twist and set flange to work so I'm thinking that you will be better off installing closet flange extenders (comes as a kit most of the time) for your situation... see images. There are a few different kind... I do NOT recommend using spacers without the neoprene or foam gaskets!

Here, clean the old flange extra well and remove the old closet bolts. Then you will install the spacers as directed on the package, but you will also need extra long closet bolts. The extra long closet bolts will insert through the bottom flange (present now) slots and then through the other spacers slots as well.

Click on the closetflange2.pdf file to see this all up close... ;)

You can install so the flange is flush with the tile or even better on top of the tile... either works fine. If you go flush with the tile use an extra thick or a reinforced wax ring. Otherwise, a wax ring with horn is best bet.

Let me know if you have questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf closetflange2.pdf (96.1 KB, 938 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3.5" twist and set plastic flange for cast iron pipe [ 11 Answers ]

I have a drain pipe with 3.5" internal diameter tired to get twist & set plastic flange but no plumber supply carries it- all have either 3" or 4" flange i tried both of them- 4" is too big and 3" is too small They say-- its odd size Any one can suggest where to get this odd size flange? Or...

How do I seal pvc toilet flange to cast iron drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought a house with damaged toilet. Existing plumbing is pvc toilet flange inserted into cast iron drain line. The flange is loose and needs to be refastened to the floor, subfloor condition permitting . How do I seal the pvc toilet flange to cast iron drain pipe to ensure no sewer gas leak?

Can you connect a cast iron closet flange to an ABS Pipe? [ 9 Answers ]

I have to move my toilet over an inch from the wall per inspector's request. I have searched the internet and have not found an ABS offset closet flange that would work for me. I did however find a cast iron flange that measures 4" x 2" (Jones Stephens Corp. Model # C44-420). Is it at all...

Cast iron toilet flange the bolt holes will not hold how do we fix it and the flange [ 1 Answers ]

We have a cast iron flange and the bolt holes are not useable can we cut off the top and add a new plastic flange

Cast Iron Toilet Flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing my toilet and found that the cast iron toilet flange is broken where one of the bolts that hold the toilet should go. This was a crescent shaped slot, but the outer rim is broken and missing. I was going to replace the flange, but can't see how it is fastened to the drain pipe. ...

View more questions Search