Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcoates13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 10:01 PM
    My couch is making me itch!
    I got a couch from my aunt last year and I noticed that after sitting on it for a long time I'd get tiny, itchy bumps. She said she had never had a problem with the couch. I've looked at pictures of flea and bed bug bites and it doesn't look like that. They are skin colored, not red. I never feel crawling and I've looked for bugs. I'll also get bumps through my clothes. My ex used to get them too. I've been away for a year, and when I sat on my couch for the first time, I got bumps. A bug wouldn't be able to survive that long without something to feed on right? I was thinking it might be something in the material that I'm sensitive to, but I more often get the bumps on covered areas. I love this couch, but I'm really puzzled. Any help?
    imgorgeous Posts: 385, Reputation: 14

Jul 3, 2009, 01:29 PM

There are certainly bugs in your couch...

I faced the same problem in my couch in my living room.. and my dad too.. who is extremely skin sensitive.. my brother doesn't realise even if hundred mosquitoes flounder around him while he is asleep

I have faced that...

And we tore the freakin couch apart to find bugs.. but didn't find ANY...

But there is certainly something microscopic that is causing it in there I promise you that...

Your aunt must be giving you because she wanted to get rid of it herself

We did try analyzing that situation and realised that many a times I or my brother used to lie down with wet skin on the couch after a shower.. or sweaty bodies on the couch..

These create microscopic germs too..

Get rid of that stupid couch... and your worries will be lost..

Else keep in out in the scorching sun and I mean super scorching sun for days... it may relieve the issue but not eradicate it completely... as microscopic germs are not as affected by meagre scorching sun heat !
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 01:59 PM

Have you tried steam cleaning the couch?

That would be my next step, then go from there.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Did your aunt have any pets? There could be pet dander on the couch that's causing your skin to react. And yes, it's also possible that you're sensitive to the material.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2009, 11:27 AM

Sounds like bugs to me give the couch a deep cleaning
    adventure9 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2009, 08:34 PM

I seriously doubt your aunt gave it to you knowing there were bugs... but maybe I'm naïve. Anyway, I recently hired a moving company to move my stuff across the country and I found scabies-type bites on me a few days after my furniture arrived. I treated it two months ago and now they are back; the permethrin-based treatment was supposed to last 7 months . Actually, I don't know if they were ever really gone. I rarely sit on the couch. I'm throwing it out as soon as I can. I don't have time to deal with this! Now I need to figure out HOW to get rid of it!

What kind of couch should I buy? Is there a material that is best for not harboring pests in couches?? I'm assuming leather but I could be wrong...
    EggoMini Posts: 161, Reputation: 5

Oct 24, 2009, 11:10 AM

In college I had itching and rashed up from a couch treated w/ 3M's Scotchgard.

I had to get a couch cover until I could buy a new couch.

Oct 24, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Thanks. Yeah, my couch is 5 years old and I only got a problem after I moved. I opted not to use scotchguard when they tried to sell it to me at the furn store... it has carcinogens in it just like DuPont products (stain master on carpets and clothing. Genius.) instead, I sprayed pesticide on my couch, which I'm sure is so much better ;)
    No, I haven't seen the insects. However, I did a lot of research last night; they are bedbugs AND I believe I have found a REMEDY for anyone who doesn't know a safe means of getting rid of them (even if you live in an apartment complex where they can travel between units!) is 'diatomaceous earth' (sp?) or 'DE'. I still haven't researched where to find it, but it's a powder you can put anywhere the bugs may be found (every crevice in the house!). Again for you apartment dwellers, you can put DE in the walls to keep it from traveling between units! (yes, you'll have to put a tiny hole in the wall.) it dehydrates the bugs over time (I believe it can take as long as a few weeks? ). So, if you want to remain healthy, this is the way to go :) I'm going to take this route because I would much rather spend my money to support healthier products! 5 lbs treats 2500 sf; I believe it's about $25 for 5 lbs. It's all about supply and demand. OH, the best part is that you do not have to re-treat!! They claim it is effective FOREVER. Do your own research on DE... it almost sounds too good to be true...

Oct 24, 2009, 04:09 PM

Oh yeah, and bedbugs can live a year without a meal. No wonder they're flourishing. Again, Diatomaceous Earth looks like the answer.
    johnsback18 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 04:03 PM
    HI, I recently got a very expensive sofa and after about 10 minutes, I started to feel my whole body start feeling itchy and hot.I steamed the sofa and washed the fabric covers and steamed it again. I came to the conclusion that its something its made of ,maybe a little wool or some other material in the fabric. I love the sofa so much but I can only look at it, My friends love it and don't have a problem with it even after an hour. Its just one of those things some people are sensitive to certain materials.Im said to say I just put it up for sale.

Nov 7, 2011, 04:04 PM
    HI, I recently got a very expensive sofa and after about 10 minutes, I started to feel my whole body start feeling itchy and hot.I steamed the sofa and washed the fabric covers and steamed it again. I came to the conclusion that its something its made of ,maybe a little wool or some other material in the fabric. I love the sofa so much but I can only look at it, My friends love it and don't have a problem with it even after an hour. Its just one of those things some people are sensitive to certain materials.Im said to say I just put it up for sale.

Dec 2, 2011, 09:07 PM
    I have the same problem. I had a leather sofa for years and never had a problem.I finally had to replace it because it was just worn out. My new sofa itched me,I loved it but after a few minutes I couldn't seat on it ,so I had to sell it. Then with the next sofa, I had the same problem. I think its just my skin reacting to the material. They make sofas different now and add so many chemicals to them, Now I don't know what to do,I guess save up for another leather sofa.I feel your pain.
    COSk8er Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 12:21 PM
    We bought a brand new couch and every one itches from the fabric. It causes a rash, tiny bumps on the skin and the chennile type chocolate/pepper brown fabric is shedding. Some family members had to go to the doctor to be treated for an allergic reaction. We have contacted the manufacturer and the store we bought it from. We will return it. We have covered it up with blankets but the fibers from the couch seem to get through and cause itching. I vacuum the carpet every day to try to stop the fibers from spreading.

Jan 31, 2012, 03:10 PM
    Allergic reactions are very common in fabrics treated with stain resisters. (this includes carpets!). The incidence of eczema in industrialized countries is enormously greater than in non-industrialized. If these toxins are affecting our bodies inside and out. I wish I knew how I could help to stop this. All I can do is exercise my right as a consumer to do my own research and choose what to support with my purchases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unexplained Itch [ 23 Answers ]

Hello I'm writing on behalf of my 49 yr old mother who has been suffering an unexplained itch for approximately 1 year now. The itching is primarily located to her arms, there is no sign of any skin problem the only detectable feature is the scratches she has caused by herself- no other signs....

Should tattoos itch? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I got a tattoo on my foot August 2007 and now everyonce in awhile it will itch like hell, is this normal or is something wrong?:confused:

Uncomfortable Itch [ 7 Answers ]

As unusual as this might sound I have a question that maybe someone can answer. My boyfriend usually at night time has been getting a very unbearable itch in his anus hole. Now its not a rash and it has nothing to do with higiene do u know of any conditions that he may be having as its almost...

Itch around my waist [ 1 Answers ]

Hi can anyone help. I have had an itch around my waist for a couple of months.

Nocturnal Itch [ 1 Answers ]

I have this itch all over my body when I go to sleep sometimes, probably a few times a month. It's just itching without and visible signs of bumps or rash, and it disturbs my sleep till dawn. I have been told this is one symptom of having gallstones, but I have had my keyhole surgery last November....

View more questions Search