Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilbitof3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Pet deposit
    My family and I are entending to rent a house in California and the owner wants a $1000.00 pet deposit. Is that the right dollar amount for a pet deposit? It seems kind of high to us. What is the law regarding a pet deposit in California?
    Thanks lilbitof3
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Pet deposits are getting higher and higher. Around here I know lots of landlord who charge $500-$800 NON-refundable pet deposit AND charge an additional $25-$50 per month on the rent for people with pets.

It's kind of like the rent itself. If you like the apartment enough to pay the amount asked for you go for it... otherwise, you just keep looking.

Most states laws that I've browsed do not have a maximum pet deposit, but to be sure check your state laws here.

If you have problems finding the info, let us know and we'll try to help further.
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbitof3 via pm
    I WAS TOLD THAT FOR THE OWNER TO ASK FOR $1000 PET DEPOSIT WAS TO HIGH BECAUSE MOST PLACES ASK FOR ONLY A $300 PET DEPOSIT. WHERE CAN I FIND THIS PET DEPOSIT LAW. I TRIED TO LLOK FOR IT AND COULDN'T FIND IT
    hELP.......
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 19, 2006, 08:29 AM
    You should be thankful that you have found a landlord who will accept pets.

CA deposits by any name can not be over 2X the monthly rent for unfurnished properties or 3X monthly rent for furnished properties.
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Thanks, cville - RickJ must be going blind.

Lil, he is correct. See page 24 of the California Landlord-Tenant guide:
    http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 19, 2006, 12:57 PM
    I used to know California Civil Code 1950.5 by heart... luckily they don't change it too often.
    justme0508 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2010, 05:19 PM
    I know it's an old question... I just contacted my landlord about getting a dog. When we moved in, their add had said that a dog was allowed. We have a cat, and have paid a deposit. A quick look at our house, you can see NO DAMAGE... They called back and said we could get a dog if we paid a $5000.00 deposit. Rent is $2100.00/mos. And I think we've paid, first, last, and a $2100.00 deposit plus a $300.00 cat deposit. I can understand concern over a puppy... is this just insane? Is this even legal... can "pet" deposits go over the 2x's rent? I mean I realize they don't HAVE to let us have a pet... but it seems crazy to say it's OK only with this deposit...
    kstil002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 01:50 AM
    In the state of California there is no such thing as NON REFUNDABLE even if it states it in the clause it is illegal in the state of California. It doesn't matter what they call it; cleaning deposit, pet deposit etc. They all MUST be refundable
    KittyLeKat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 01:01 PM
    In the state of CA no deposit under the state law is Non refundable regardless of what you may have signed in the lease. ALL Deposits unless there is damage that the deposit covers must be fully returned. In your case would be due specifically because your animal caused the damage. If there is damage AND the landlord can prove their case as to how much they are taking out to cover the costs of the damage, then in that case they can take only the amount to cover the fixing costs of the damage. For example if your cat tears apart the blinds in say 3 windows in the house the landlord can then keep only the amount needed to replace those 3 damaged sets of blinds. If you have any more questions you can see the link below it should explain what you need to know.

http://www.rentlaw.com/dep/cadeposit.htm

Also Depending upon the house condition, size etc and the animals(breed, how many etc.)$1000 maybe fair. You are lucky to have found a landlord that will accept animals I do agree with that.
    KittyLeKat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Comment on justme0508's post
    No Deposits can not go over 2x the rent that is illegal and you should call the fair employment and housing for your area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deposit Increase for Pet [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé and I rent a unit on a month-to-month lease. I was given a very beautiful puppy for my birthday by my fiancé. We had previously spoken to our property managers regarding possibly getting a pet "one day" and they said their new leases now allowed for small dogs - we have not seen or signed...

Pet deposit implemented after moving in [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in the same apartment for over 6 years. I didn't have a pet deposit when I moved in, but I think they implemented it a few years ago. I've been going month-to-month for about 3 years, and now they want me to sign a new lease. In the lease, it mentions a $500 pet deposit,...

Pet Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania and when we initially rented our home we were required to put down a $2000 non-refundable pet deposit. In the second year, the landlord asked for an additional $995 non-refundable pet deposit. My question is this, was it legal for her to demand this second deposit or can I...

Urinating pet [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 year old lab mix is urinating while sleeping. She does not wake up during urination. What could be the problem?

View more questions Search