Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dnkbug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 09:44 AM
    Yard machine riding lawnmower won't start
    Hi,
    I was just mowing and failed to see a hose buried in the grass... I ran it over and it twisted in the blades underneath and stopped the lawnmower.

I removed the hose from the blades and tried to re-start the mower and can't get it to start again! Any suggestions? I can't find my manual.

It smells like it is getting gas. I waited a half hour and charged the battery and it still won't start. Is there a safety stop I need to know about?

Thanks in advance for any info!
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 12:06 PM

Hi,
    No, if it turns over yet will not start, then it is time to suspect timing and a sheared key. Of course, another easier consideration is that because the engine was "hot" it needed little or no choke to restart and may have become flooded; in which case it could correct itself with sitting a bit.
    The less obvious is how did you clear the hose?
    Slanting a mower the "wrong" way can ruin an air filter.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    heatherwright79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 02:56 PM

We have a 97 yard machine and it won't start turnover or anything unless it's being jumped... we have put a new solenoid flywheel starter gear battery spark plug starter and a switch and it won't start unless being jumped by solenoid or starter he tried to by pass the safety switch on the clutch but his volt meter isn't detecting any power please help??
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Aug 13, 2010, 07:23 PM

Have you checked the fuse by the solenoid?

If the fuse is OK then I would go to the safety switch for the brake pedal. It is right behind the engine on the side opposite the starter. If the bracket is bent (not straight up and down) it will not make contact. You should be able to bend it back to straight.

If that doesn't do it then the deck safety is under the panel where the reverse/forward lever is. It is toward the front right of that opening. Make sure when the deck is up it is making contact.

Those are the two safetys that keep it from turning over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yard Machine Riding Mower will not start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 42" Yard Machine Riding Mower 17.5 HP Briggs & Stratton that will not start. This tractor was running was put in the garage three years ago. I just put a new spark plug in it, new batter, and changed the oil. It sounds like it wants to start but won't turn over. Can any one help with...

Yard Machine Riding Mower won't run. [ 2 Answers ]

I bought my Yard Machine mower 4 summers ago and used it that first season. It has been stored through the last two summers and I want to use it now. Put in new battery. Turns over, but does not run. Acts like it's not getting any fuel, just turns over really strong. Verified the following: ...

How to replace a deck belt on Yard machine 42" riding lawnmower [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace my deck belt on Yard Machine 14.5hp. 42' riding lawnmover. Be nice to have a diagram and helpful hints

View more questions Search