Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnSG Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Cost of replacing ducts
    I may be buying a house that was built in 1967. Inspection found most of the heating ducts are in bad shape and should be replaced. For a 1,700 square foot house, single story, duct access is in the crawlspace beneath the house -- would replacing the duct system be several thousand? Over $10,000? I realize you can't give a precise answer without inspecting the house, but I am just looking for a very ballpark estimate to give me an order of magnitude.

And if the current ducts are insulated with asbetos liners, there would be additional cost to have a specialty firm remove the asbestos, no?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jun 29, 2009, 06:30 PM

Yes to asbestos... and yes to a few thousand dollars to replace ductwork. Might want to contact and get some quotes before you buy.

Jun 29, 2009, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by siberianair View Post
    yes to asbestos... and yes to a few thousand dollars to replace ductwork. might want to contact and get some quotes before you buy.
    Thanks much, I'm going to try to get two or three bids. I appreciate the quick response.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 08:25 PM
    In most cases it's the responsibility of the seller/home owner to make the home worthy and ready to pass inspection for selling,, but you didn`t ask this question

Jun 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
    In conventional real estate sales, it is the seller's responsibility. However, this case is a "short sale" which means the bank is selling it because the owner has defaulted on the payments, and it is sold "as is." With inspections in hand, the bank may be willing to reduce the price but they are not responsible for any problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost to replace old uninsulated ducts in crawlspace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I bought a house built in 1930. There is a crawlspace that you can stand straight up in about half of it. The crawlspace is about 1700 sq feet. I don't know how old the duct work is but I have been recommended by a couple people to replace it with the new flexible insulated type. I have...

The cost of replacing 1 front door window [ 1 Answers ]

I need too know how much it would cost to replace 1 12" by 12" window in a front door... how much the window would cost... I plan on fixing it myself... I really need the help to find out how much it would cost thanks... :(

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

Should you replace ducts when replacing a furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

I am gong to replace my furnace, it was in the house when I moved in 17 years ago, And I have had problems lately, My house is about 30 years old. My question is should I replace the duct work when I replace the furnace? I do not see any problems. My only though is they may be old and dirty, as...

Cost of replacing [ 2 Answers ]

Cost of replace valve behind toilet and replacing the complete kit inside the toilet. (flapper, floater, stem)

View more questions Search