Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nordkil1995 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 12:33 PM
    Hurt bird potentially broken leg
    My cat has attacked a bird I think its broken its leg its lying on its side with its leg sticking out its breathing and if you take the towel off the box we have put it in it looks in our direction there are no vets open and when I got through to a 24 hour emergency animal centre they told me to phone the rspca but I couldint get through they said that they could pick the bird up but they said it would cost us 50 pounds and we can't afford that and all the vets are closed please help what do I do I don't want the bird to die
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2009, 12:40 PM

Call your local info center. There should be an animal rehabilitator nearby where they can fix him up.. It would also be nice if you left a donation as well.
    Dom1961 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Um, this is a joke, right?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom1961 View Post
    um, this is a joke, right?

The fact that it's posted on other Health and Wellness would lead me to that conclusion, right.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 08:06 PM

Wrong forum but the post sounds legit to me.

This happens all the time. Not much you can do. You can try to feed it, but chances are it won't survive the night.

Make it comfortable, don't handle it too much as it will only be afraid.

Keep it warm and try putting some bird food in the box or try feeding it boiled egg white, it has a lot of nutrients that are good for birds.

Water from a water dropper or mix water in with the egg whites.

Good luck.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:20 PM

The bird probably won't die from the broken leg. Cat saliva is toxic to birds. What it needs, other than a warm, dark, low stress environment and nutritious food is anti-biotics. An avian or exotic pet vet could help you, if you can get hold of them.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 08:27 PM

I agree Simone. Sadly getting the bird to someone that can help is the hard part.

We found a nestling last year. It had fallen from the nest, broke it's wing. We took it in and called the wildlife center.

They asked what type of bird it was, I didn't know for sure but guessed.

They said they'd pick it up in a week. I asked what I was supposed to do until then, they said nothing.

I fed it, I kept it warm, I did my best and it died the next morning.
    ellyntan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2012, 12:37 AM
    I just found a tiny bird by the roadside on 7th of November. When I went near it, it couldn't fly. I guessed it got hit by a car? Left leg is broken. Only thing I did was put a splinter and fed it with either banana, apple, biscuit or bread. Although it's leg is still broken, it is still alive. Going to try and get it to the vet when my dad's free.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change in weight of bird-cage when the bird is flying inside the cage? [ 2 Answers ]

Q1. What kind of Change would be observed in the weight of bird-cage, weighed by a spring balance 1. when the bird is sitting inside the cage 2. when the bird is flying inside the cage? WHY? Q2. A 1.0 gm. Seed is sown on the earth after few years it becomes one of the biggest trees in the...

My dog has hurt his leg how can you tell if its broken [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has hurt his leg how can you tell if its broken

Wild Baby bird with broken wing found. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I need some help. I've raised domesticated baby birds before, but never a wild bird, at least not one that lived. :( My daughter found a baby bird on the sidewalk in front of our house. I know that fledglings will leave the nest before they are able to fly, and that the mother...

Bird hurt foot or wing laying on one side what to do [ 2 Answers ]

Bird hurt leg or wing can't get to vet until Monday what can I do?

Is dye in bird toys safe? How to clean bird toys? [ 8 Answers ]

I am usually the one that helps other people with their cockatiel or bird questions but this time I am the one that needs help. I have cockatiel birds and I have many bird toys that I buy from Walmart and PetsMart and the other day when cleaning my bird cage I decided to wash the toys with water...

View more questions Search