Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mookey5372 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
    2 wire electric outlet to 3 wire
    Can you just replace a 2 wire outlet with a 3 wire? My dau bought an old house that has 2 wire outlets and does not have the money to replace all the wire with 3 wires. We just want to replace the 2 wire outlet with 3 wire and only use 2 wires to do this.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 04:23 AM

The house is probably wired with BX/shielded cable.

U can update to the outlets that have a ground screw(green in color).

When changing outlet, run black wire to brass screw-white wire to silver screw-jumper wire from green screw to metal of box.

Good luck

Chuck
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 04:38 AM
    No, you cannot just replace 2 wire outlets with 3 wire outlets and not be grounded.

Before assuming the metal boxes are grounded because there may be BX cable, should test and confirm this. Using a voltage tester, test across the live line and the metal box. If you see 120 volts, then the box is grounded, and three wire receptacles can be installed.

If not, the only method will be to install GFI devices. This can be a GFI circuit breaker, which will protect the entire circuit and all outlets on that circuit.

Or a GFI receptacle can be installed at the beginning of a circuit, and protect all outlets downstream on that circuit.

If either of these methods are done, then any two wire outlet can be changed out to a three wire outlet, AND have have a label on each 3 wire outlet stating "No Equipment Ground".

Using GFI devices, while allowed by code, DOES NOT create an equipment ground.

Certain devices, such as surge protectors, will only work properly when grounded. Using 3 wire outlets protected by GFI devices will not give the ground that is needed.

Only is allowed as the GFI device will protect people from ground faults.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting 220v 4-wire outlet to 3-wire [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new drier with the "inverted V" 3-wire power plug. The drier outlet I have is like an overgrown version of a 110 grounded outlet, with 2 vertical 110 prongs and a ground socket. I bought a V-socket to accommodate the new drier plug, but when I shut off the breaker and opened up the old...

Wire a 220 electric range outlet to circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

Need to install 220 outlet for electric range... please tell me how to hook up wirs at eletrical panel... breakers not fuses

220 4 wire outlet in my garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 4 wire outlet in my garage that I want to change to a 3 wire 220 outlet to power a welder. How do I do this?

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

How to wire a 240 outlet ? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have what I thought a simple project.. ok I have a 5K watt generator that has a 240 v outlet.. I want to connect my 240 v arc welder to it.. only problem is that the plugs are different.. I already have the proper plugs to adapt the connection.. I made a one foot adapter ( pig tail )... my...

View more questions Search