Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firemanken Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 06:08 PM
    A/C Compressor does not start
    Help! I have a Duncane A/C unit whose compressor will not turn on. After setting the thermostat to cool, the blower unit push air throughout the house, and the fan on the outside unit will run. But the compressor will not kick on. I have made sure that there is the proper current into the unit in the on and off position. All the wires seem intact and the connection unit into the compressor seems to be clean. What next? I would love to avoid calling a technician in for this! Help please! :(
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Possible a bad capicitor(will be swollen at the top usually)or burned connections does it have 2 capicitors one for the fan motor and one for the compressor
    Double check the larger wires that go to the compressor post (usually under a black cover ) on the compressor
    firemanken Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 06:12 PM

wmproop, thanks for the quick reply last night.
    I checked and tested all of the wires and they seem to be intact. The multimeter read proper voltage into the unit and into the compressor. I took the compacitor off the unit (it is a double compacitor to fan and herm. I attempted to test the ohms on the unit but was not able to get a accurate reading. I am going to take the compacitor to a shop and have them test it for me. (Im not quite sure if I even was doing it right! Lol)
    If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!
    Thanks again!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 06:14 PM

Does the capacitor have a slushing sound when you shake it, or is it swollen on top?? If so it is bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't Air compressor start ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello guys , here is my problem , a few months ago I bought a small portable air compressor , a Dewalt with the little twin tanks which I used mainly with the nail gun that came along with it. Last week my 14yr old son decided he wanted to use it to inflate his bike tyre and it hasn't work since....

Compressor does not start [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes the compressor does not come on when the fan comes on. When this happens, I can hear a clicking sound coming from the outside unit. Does this sound like an electrical problem or what?

AC compressor/fan will not start [ 1 Answers ]

An electric cord that had a break in it touched the housing where my AC compressor rest and since, the compressor will not start. The eletric cord shorted out. I reset the circuit breakers inside the house, however, the compressor will not start. Could this be a problem with the outside fuse?...

Compressor will not start [ 7 Answers ]

Troubleshooting a carrier air handler heat pump system . Outdoor unit is a goodman. No voltage between common and red outside as well as inside air handler Standing refrigerant pressure reading 75psi R-22. Control board keep blowing . Indoor blower runs as well as electric strip heat. Why do the...

Central a/c compressor tries to start [ 1 Answers ]

The central a/c compressor tries to start . It will hum and click off do you think it is the capacitor? Someone said the starter on the side of the compreessor how do you change it?

View more questions Search