Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XoXoSonoBella Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Thick glasses
    I have seriously thick glasses with prisms and bifocals which make my eyes look huge in them. I hate it. I have bad eyesight and my contacts do not correct my vision to perfect. I do not mind wearing glasses but I wish I could look normal in them. Is there anything I can do?
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 12:01 PM

I don't wear glasses or contacts so I don't know if this would really work.. but what if you wore contacts to get your vision close... then wore glasses that are maybe a little more tame to correct your vision the rest of the way?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 12:04 PM

Here are some things you can do:

1) Use a high-index material. Unfortunately, this is usually more expensive, and some people are sensitive to chromatic abberration (color separation).

2) Choose a frame style with a smaller eye size. The bigger the lens, the thicker it must be due the curvature difference between the front and back sides of the lens.

3) Choose an aspheric lens design. More advanced lens designs use this to reduce thickness and distortion.

4) Use a thicker plastic frame. Because the frame is thicker, the less lens sticks out, and it looks thinner. Also, less light enters at the edge of the lens, and this reduces internal reflections that make the lens look stronger. Not polishing the edge also helps reduce the reflections.

5) Sometimes, the lens edge can be ground/beveled to reduce the apparent thickness.

Hope I helped
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 12:11 PM

Jennie, was right on the dot. All of those things will work, except grinding the edges down. That would alter the prescription.

Great advice.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 12:13 PM

Oooh thanks chi, I didn't know that. My apologies. Thanks for letting us know before the OP tried that :P

Note to self, Don't GRIND GLASSES DOWN.
    Vision Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 12:37 PM

Haha. Yeah, all in all great advice though. As Vision Expert, I feel obligated to Greenie you.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 12:38 PM

Haha thanks just don't do it for real. It might give people the wrong impression. I'm definitely NOT a vision expert. I knew this because I asked my mom, who had to deal with this when I was a teenager and kept complaining about my lenses being too thick so we went to the eye place and they told us that.
    Vision Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 12:50 PM

No, I'm the vision expert. I was talking about me, duh! LOL. A tad full of myself sometimes.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 12:54 PM

OOOH I get it :P

A little self confidance is a good thing :D
    Vision Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 01:01 PM

LOL... yup.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 07:42 PM

Guess not wearing them and getting a guide dog and white cane is not a good option.

Often we have little choices in the end for the prescription, but you can work within your budget to find what will look best.
    XoXoSonoBella Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 08:38 PM

Wow I'm thankful for the advice... since there is a vision expert on here I might have a few other questions you could maybe answer for me. I'm only 19 and my vision is so bad. Its constantly something I fret about. I know your vision does not level off until 20 but will mine continue to get worse? I have both near and farsightedness and I would love to get laser eye surgery... if even possibly to just make my vision to where I only need glasses to read. I fear this is not an option with such terrible vision. I also have a slight lazy left eye. Its vision is a little worse. I'm not sure of my exact presrciption but my contacts which only help my distant vision are marked around one at +7.25 and one at +8.75. Would laser eye surgery benefit me at all??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XoXoSonoBella View Post
    wow im thankful for the advice...since there is a vision expert on here i might have a few other questions you could maybe answer for me. im only 19 and my vision is so bad. its constantly something i fret about. i know your vision does not level off til 20 but will mine continue to get worse? i have both near and farsightedness and i would love to get laser eye surgery...if even possibly to just make my vision to where i only need glasses to read. i fear this is not an option with such terrible vision. i also have a slight lazy left eye. its vision is a little worse. im not sure of my exact presrciption but my contacts which only help my distant vision are marked around one at +7.25 and one at +8.75. would laser eye surgery benefit me at all???

Please have your eyes evaluated by a doctor who specialies in this. I will step out on a limb here, since your idea of a "lazy eye" is different maybe from mine, but that should not have any effect on your actual vision, it is more of a issue with the muscles of the eye lid.
    Vision Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 10:25 PM

I agree with fr_chuck. Most laser surgeons have free consultations for surgery. So this might be something to look into, go in there for the consultation and see what they can do for you. You sound like someone that could really benefit from laser correction. But as stated before, I'm an Optician not an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist. So, this is out of my realm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you tie thick hemp? [ 5 Answers ]

I make myself hemp necklaces. Usually I just make thin ones, but I really like the thick ones. However, when I tried to tie the hemp off, the hemp strands were too thick and wouldn't stay in a knot. I looked on the web but no one said anything. Does anyone know how to FINISH off a thick hemp...

Thick Hair [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old and I am Colombian and I have thick black hair. I used to part it back in the day, but now I'm doing other things, but the flip doesn't work good, unless I cut it short and usually the haircutters cut it too short to do anything so I have to wait for it do grow some length to comb...

I want thick lashes [ 2 Answers ]

Does any one no how to get thick lashes with out having any side effects?? URLURL

View more questions Search