Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blacke87 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 06:50 AM
    We haven't spoken for days, is it over or is she just thinking?
    I will try to make this as short as possible, but I want to make sure I give an unbiased account of what's going on:

My girlfriend and I have known each other for over 12 years now (we're friends too) and have dated off and on throughout that time for periods of 6 months to even a year. We always end up mutually ending the relationship, but a few years down the road we end up back together again. We really enjoy eachother's company and our personalities mesh very well which is why it usually works out for so long I'm guessing. Anyway, our sex life hit a little bump recently and we haven't done the deed for over a month now, and I could tell it was really bothering her. I was a little miffed at her lack of effort recently to make advances on me, to get me in the mood, so I just sort of stopped initiating things. I wanted to talk to her about it but I also wanted to wait for the appropriate time to do so...

That aside, one weekend I was exhausted from working on a construction project, so I suggested I spend the weekend to myself so I could just rest and relax; she could go out with her friends who she hadn't seen in a while etc. This threw her off the deep end, and she ended up ignoring me for a week before finally seeing me on a Sunday evening... and only Sunday evenings for the next couple of weeks. Things began to feel weird after that, as if she was pushing me away. I suspected she thought I had cheated on her that weekend to myself, as it wouldn't be the first time she's suspected that of me (and was wrong every time mind you). I attempted to ask her about everything, why she was so distant, why did she disappeared for a week, can we talk about it. It only ever ended up in defensive argument from her side and she never really answered anything. 5 days ago we argued again when she asked to go biking the following weekend, but failed to include the fact that I have to buy her a bike, a bike rack, a helmet, everything essentially. Normally I wouldn't mind but my money is tight as I lost my job recently and have a mortgage to pay, so I got kind of upset and tried to suggest she help out a bit here. Things escalated and we eventually brought back up the whole previous argument about her ignoring me for a week.

It ended with me telling her how I felt hurt when she did that, and her responding that she is ''her own person'' and essentially doesn't have to explain herself to me or anyone, then she hung up. Since then I haven't heard from her, and I'm not sure if I should call or not. I personally feel she owes me at least some answers if not an apology. I try very hard to make her happy, despite the stressful situation I'm experiencing in life right now. I'm also afraid that we both have so much stubborn pride that neither of us will call each other back because we both feel the other person is in the wrong. I'm worried we'll eventually just drift apart or something... how can I go about this in a mature way? I haven't always been the best at resolving heated situations...

:(
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 07:18 AM

I don't think its over yet.

Give it some time for you guys to cool off, than approach her in a mature calm manner and solve it like adults.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 09:11 AM
    I don't see this relationship lasting nor working. You knew each other for 12 years but only been in a relationship for 6 months to a year but broken up a number of times.

Maybe you two are better of being friends instead of together because this relationship is lacking a lot but mostly communcation.

The two of you don't know how to talk to one another in a mature, civil, and open way. The two of you keep things bottled in and let it out once you angry with each other. Not healthy! It's never good to talk to each other when your upset because all the build in frustrations can make you say things you will regret.

Also, bringing up the past is never good. If you have a problems discuss it as it occurs, never wait or put it out until the next problem occur. Or if you talked about it don't bring it back up.

Now I don't know what things you have did or brought for your girlfriend in the past but some how I think you spoiled her. That's why she don't understand the word no nor accept it. She don't know to compromise and expects you to jump at her wants not needs. The whole bike thing is childish but again I don't think this is the first time that you seen her react this way.

I really think your better off by yourself or with someone else. In order for this relationship to work there are going have to be a lot of changes. Her temper tantrums got to go and is uncalled for.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 09:26 AM
    I think its very clear that when things are great the are very great, but when they are not its horrible.

After all this time together, 12 years, neither of you has a clue as to how to resolve conflict between you. So back to the off again cycle of this friendship.

The lines are blurred as to the boundaries and limits of this relationship, and quite frankly its more friends with benefits, and though its easy to enjoy the good times, you don't know how to work together during the bad times.

You both know this, and that makes it easy to break up, let the dust settle, and start the process all over again.

Has either one of you dated others in this time? (12 years), or is this an exclusive continuous cycle between you??

Jun 17, 2009, 06:14 AM
    Hey, thanks for all the advice. My girlfriend and I have not been exclusive to each other throughout the 12 years we've known each other. Only one time did we break up to see other people though, but usually it happens when we're not together at the time. It doesn't ''appear'' to affect us in any way that we can see for ourselves. However, she's the only girl I've ever met that I can feel comfortable with in this situation. Any other time I've tried, it just doesn't work for whatever reason.

Anyway, that aside, I watered down my pride enough to leave her a voicemail yesterday first by saying I was sorry we both had a fight, being careful to not say sorry for what I said (as advised by a friend), then offering up the chance to talk things over. Within a few hours I got a text message saying she wants to meet up at my place this Saturday to talk. I must have done something right, even if she's going to deliver me bad news on Saturday, because normally I have to twist arms after a fight to get a response out of her. I really think that the few days we spent not talking allowed us to cool off properly, which is probably where we've gone wrong in the past.

I hope all goes well Saturday, and we can make up, but most importantly, I hope her and I can begin resolving our communication problems. I'm going to try to focus mostly on that when we talk rather than bringing up the details of our fight the other week (which frankly, when you think about it, aren't really worth bickering over).

What do you think? Talk and try to discover the underlying cause of our tension, or try and rectify what was argued over?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 07:55 AM

Your side is but half of the communications issue. What she wants to say is the other half, so there is no telling what direction this will take.

Just be ready to listen to her side, would be my advice.

Jun 19, 2009, 08:18 AM

A nerve racking 24 hours to go... if anyone wants I can post an update as to how things went the day after...
    <crossing fingers>
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 08:39 AM

Post your update... we are all interested and wish you the best!

Jun 19, 2009, 02:25 PM

Np, will do. I just spoke with my father... the last resort when it comes to relationship advice. I do have to take his with a grain of salt because he's divorced but I think he gave me some good pointers to consider for tomorrow. I can only wait and hope that when we finally meet up to talk that she feels the same towards me as I do her. I'm prepared for that not being the case, but for once I'd really love it if her and I knew the feelings were mutual

Will update by Sunday at the latest! Wish me luck! :D

Thanks again, everyone
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blacke87 View Post
    Will update by sunday at the latest! wish me luck! :D

thanks again, everyone
    Good Luck.

One bit of advice: get it settled finally. Over a decade of on-again off-again is way too long.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About Spoken English [ 4 Answers ]

I am doing third year engineering from pune. I am very good in my academic studies,but I am facing problem in spoken english. I need to work on my pronounsations also. So kindly help me for improving my spoken english so that I can speak as fluently as my mothertounge.

My son hasn't spoken to me in almost a year [ 21 Answers ]

My son is 24 years old. I have always been there for him. His father and I split when he was 12 and his sister 17. I raised them pretty much on my own before then anyway- my ex was a mechanic who would rather find any excuse than be home with his family. He used to stay late at work doing side...

My son hasn't spoken to me in almost a year [ 4 Answers ]

I need advice. I am trying not to get TOO excited because it might not even happen. I e-mailed my son a week ago- did not think I would get a reply, but decided to give it a shot. I asked him just how long he plans on punishing me by not having anything to do with me. I e-mailed him from work. I...

Spoken english [ 1 Answers ]

May I know how a call centre executive converse with a cosutomer

Spoken English [ 4 Answers ]

Please tell me what the following mean grammatically (1)he should have been going. (2)he can have done.

View more questions Search