Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kidney Stone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 05:25 AM
    Water Filter that will Filter Calcium
    My husband is having trouble with kidney stones and they seem to be calcium stones. We would like to get a under the sink filter system that will filter the calcium (among other things). Can you suggest a good filtration system. We have well water. Thank you! :)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 05:29 AM

Filtering calcium from water will not affect kidney stones. Even limiting calcium in the diet (not drinking milk, etc) will have no effect on kidney stones. Most kidney stones are calcium-based. That's not surprising. Most people who wish to blame diet focus on the anion: oxalate and carbonate, but that doesn't correlate with creating kidney stones, either.

Check with your doctor and he will confirm what I've said. Dietary calcium is most definitely not a factor in creating kidney stones.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2009, 05:58 AM
    Perito sounds like he/she knows more about kidney stones then both of us. I'd listen to he/himr. However to answer your question, I found a calcium filter for under 20 bucks. Check it out at; Amazon.com: Bissell Water-Calcium Filter 218-5600: Home Improvement good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 06:02 AM
    HI all:

I believe kidney stones develop more as a result of the foods you eat and your own body chemistry (acidic VS basic) than anything to do with water...

Check out this website for more info.:

Kidney Stone Types (Calcium, Uric Acid Stones), Causes, Prevention and Diet on MedicineNet.com

In fact, reduced calcium intake is associated with an INCREASED risk of kidney stones!

Good luck!

MARK
    fwsweb Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 09:27 AM

I agree with the above post about kidney stones are more related to the foods we eat than the water we drinking. Calcium in water is the major cause of water hardness and is usually in the range of 5 - 500 mg/l. If you would like for info about water filters, systems, and drinking water contaminants view this resource.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pump won't lite after cleaning filter and inner filter [ 1 Answers ]

Filter was complet mush and guk, also in the pump I took out and cleaned the screen , all good now, I primed filter and pump but still would not ignite. Blnk blk blk, after 3 second hold button furnace attempts then must hold for 30 secs to reset from lockout. SO after many attemps, "does it every...

Frigidare water filter [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the part number for a water filter for a Frigidare FRS20ZRG

Water Filter [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, After replacing my less than four year old water heater due to build up of crud I was wondering if there is a filter I can put on after the HWH to catch any crud that may slip through. My wife was complaining about pieces of rock in the water when she was taking a hot bath so I...

View more questions Search