Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshine2618 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Am I obligated to refund money for an item sold on Craigslist?
    I recently sold a wireless headset on craigslist. The item had never been used, was still in original box with all plastic wrapping sealed and was advertised as such. Later that night the man who purchased it called me and claimed it was defective... he asked for the receipt, which of course I do not have or I would have just returned the item to the store for the full amount paid. He is now asking for a refund. My issue is this, he is the first person to have taken it out of the plastic, so if it is indeed defective than I would not have known that when I sold it to him. Secondly, how do I know he did not replace a broken one with the one I sold him and is claiming the one I sold doesn't work... and lastly, I already spent the money and really don't have it to give to him. Now he is blowing up my phone and I'm not sure what my obligation is.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 09:16 AM

You are not obligated to him, sunshine, he bought it sight unseen off a website. I don't know why he expects a refund. Next time you advertise something include a disclaimer.

Tick

Jun 12, 2009, 09:23 AM
    He did actually see it, I met him at his office and he opened the box and looked though it. It was not tested (since we were in a parking lot) but it didn't even occur to me to have him test it since it was still sealed in shrinkwrap. When I've sold used items in the past I always have the buyer test them so there is not as much opportunity for this kind of problem.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 10:10 AM

Okay, sunshine, still he walked away with it after handing you the money. You are still not obligated. How much money is involved ?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 10:13 AM

Like tickle asked, how much money are we talking? Is the headset not working because it's defective, or is it not working because it's not compatible with his phone?

I'd arrange to meet with him again. Personally test the headset yourself, if you can. Tell him if he wants a refund, he needs to bring all the original packaging; if you do give him a refund, make sure he signs a receipt stating that you refunded him in full, and nothing more is owed to him.

Jun 12, 2009, 10:21 AM
    $170. The unit sells new for $270 plus tax, since it had never been opened I listed it for $200 and accepted his offer of $170. Even if I do test the headset, who knows for sure if it is the same headset I sold him. This particular model is very popular, so for all I know he had a broken one and switched it with the new one and now wants a refund...
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine2618 View Post
    $170. The unit sells new for $270 plus tax, since it had never been opened I listed it for $200 and accepted his offer of $170. Even if I do test the headset, who knows for sure if it is the same headset I sold him. This particular model is very popular, so for all I know he had a broken one and switched it with the new one and now wants a refund...
    What problem is he having, exactly? Does it not turn on? Does it not connect to his phone?

How long ago was the sale?

Jun 12, 2009, 10:40 AM

I'm not sure what the exact problem is, he just told me it is defective. It's for a land line, the kind a telemarketer would use... so it should work with any phone. The sale was just yesterday.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 10:45 AM

Well, you can either give him a refund or not. It's up to him if he wants to sue you.

If he does take you to small claims, you'll both go to court - he'll say it's defective, you'll say it was brand-new out of the box. The judge will believe one of you over the other.
    lucytwo2 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2009, 03:16 PM

Who cares what the problem is with the headset.He bought it when sealed and if he didn't want it or was unsure about it then he should not have opened it.Next time always say "as is".
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lucytwo2 View Post
    Who cares what the problem is with the headset.He bought it when sealed and if he didnt want it or was unsure about it then he should not have opened it.Next time always say "as is".
    Because it might be a compatibility issue, which means the OP isn't liable to refund the money. The buyer is responsible for making sure it will work with their equipment, not vice versa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sold a motorcycle on craigslist and buyer is unhappy and is sueing [ 11 Answers ]

OK well here's my story: I recently sold a motorcycle on craigslist. (listing is at the bottom). I had it for a total of little more than 2 weeks before I sold it. I bought the bike to be an second bike to keep from racking up miles on my other motorcycle or become a stunt bike. When I bought the...

I Sold a Car 6 days ago and now the new owner wants their money back [ 9 Answers ]

I sold a 1992 Nissan Maxima for $800 on May 11, 2008. On May 12, I mailed in the post card saying that I'm no longer in possession of the vehicle. My boyfriend showed him the car and explained that we were asking $1200, but we knew that the muffler needed work and the oil needed changing and we...

Sold item Online and now it doesn't work [ 6 Answers ]

My husband received 2 central air units from work - (we were under the impression they were both new - we sold one for 1200 and the other for 1100 through Kijiji as they were too big for our house. I Provided 2nd buyer with receipt for amount paid. Receipt only said Central Air Unit - no...

Puchased item, 1 month later store calls and asks for more money [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, On January 14, I purchased a pellet stove from Sierra Fireplace in Sacramento, CA. They gave us a credit for $200 for a Yolo county clean air refund, and also gave us free installation. Today, Feb. 21, the salesman called me and said that instead of giving us a free install, he...

Jewelry consignment--they sold it but haven't given me the money! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I placed two pieces of jewelry with a consignment jeweler in August. He sold the two pieces right before Christmas '05 and to this day he still hasn't given me the $5000.00 he owes me. He claims someone else gave him a bogus credit card (for a different sale) for which he has gotten a huge...

View more questions Search