Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    intelirish Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 01:35 PM
    Hissing noise in main plumbing in house
    In the last few weeks I have noticed a steady increase in a hissing type noise coming from the pluming in my house.. from the same area where we have a water pressure control. My Neighbors recently experienced a water mains break right where it separates from the city pipes to the ones going to our respective homes. Could this noise be due to an increase in pressure from the water coming into my home . It sounds rather like right after you flush your toilet and you can hear the water filling the tank up again just much softer - you really can't hear it until late at night when your trying to sleep and all is quite.

Your help would be appreciated as I'm trying to decided if I need to call a plumber but as they are so expensive I'd rather avoid unnecessary charges.

Thanks...
    dmkegs Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Oct 13, 2006, 01:41 PM
    I would first call the water department as there maybe an additional leak. If there is noise with nothing on at all in the house and the meter is not moving then there probably is another leak on the main or your service between the meter and the water main. Either way they should be able to locate the leak if there is one.

Oct 13, 2006, 03:01 PM
    Where are your water meters normally lcoated? I don't see anything that would remotely resemple one

Oct 13, 2006, 06:42 PM
    Utilities put them in a couple different locations depending on their preference. Usually they are in a small box located in or by the sidewalk. If not there then in a pit or meter box also located by the sidewalk or at property line if not there then right where the pipe enters the basement. Of course this depends on the fact that your water is metered and you are not just charged a flat rate each month.

Oct 13, 2006, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmkegs
    Utilities put them in a couple different locations depending on their preference. Usually they are in a small box located in or by the sidewalk. If not there then in a pit or meter box also located by the sidewalk or at property line if not there then right where the pipe enters the basement. Of course this depends on the fact that your water is metered and you are not just charged a flat rate each month.

So I took your first advice and called the city.. apparently my meter is located under a manhole you need a special key to open... any how long story short they came a had a look found a nice leak and fixed it for me.. Thanks for the advice on calling the City I can now sleep at night as the noise is finally gone.. who know what the water bill will look like and in fact that now may keep me up.:)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 14, 2006, 06:41 AM
    "who know what the water bill will look like and in fact that now may keep me up."

It depends on whch side of the water meter the leak was on. If it was ahead of the meter it's on the city. If not and you couldn't get to the leak because it was inaccessible then the city's still responsible so rest well. Tom

Oct 14, 2006, 01:56 PM
    I'd have to agree with Tom if my meter was inacessable I'd be agruing a high bill if there is one.

Oct 14, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmkegs
    I'd have to agree with Tom if my meter was inacessable I'd be agruing a high bill if there is one.

You think I'd have a case? There was no way I would have been able to get to the meter. And aparnelty the hole pipe is a result of a wire being grounded to it for the meter. My neighbour who shares the same manhole had the "excat" same issue and his main leak in the same manner just 3 mts ago. I may just have to challenge the on the water bill thanks though for the advice.. other wise I would still have the leak as my husband kept telling me the noise was nothing :)
    upmaine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 07:02 PM
    We purchased a new hot water heater 2 years ago and ever since then when summer rolls around we have problems with condensation forming inside the hot water heater and dripping down on the pilot and causing it to go out. When ever someone takes a shower the pilot light will go out from the condensation. Our old heater never did this. In the winter months we do not have this problem. The water coming from our artesian well is very cold. I almost need a preheater for the cold water line before it gets to the heater. Do you have any ideas as to what I can do to prevent to pilot light from going out all the time. Kevin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken water main close to house foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I just waisted 30 min on my last message that did not take so here a short version. After repair of my main water main ( gray quest coupling cracked between the blue pipe from street and the metal fitting going to 1 of 2?? Valves. The house was built in dallas Texas in 1986, the valves had...

Periodic "gushing" noise in main water line [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement, the main water line comes in through one of the basement walls. I don't think I've heard this before, but periodically, I hear water rushing noises coming from the line. When I go down to the basement, it's like water is rushing in, stopping, then rushing in, etc... Could be...

Sprinkler pump hooked up to house plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a sprinkler service for my house and the water pressure was 40 psi which they said was too low for the system. So we installed a pump. They installed the pump so that it would increase pressure through the house plumbing as well. My question is that unsafe for the pipes in my...

Gas valve noise on main valve engagement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier 58gs100ga furnace with a white rodgers 36e93 gas valve. The main gas valve solenoid chatters or rattles for a split second before it stays engaged after the pilot is proved. I just replace the spark/lock out board and the fan board for a different problem. This chatter is...

House odor -not plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

My house was an older home that was gutted and rebuilt last year. The only original part is the basement. This week we notices a "garbage-type" odor coming from a downstairs open area that connects the kitchen, living room, entrance to basement (no odor or water leaks in basement), and entrance to...

View more questions Search