Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krystal418 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Maggots In Canine Wound - How to kill
    I have an older dog who recently received a small bite wound. This happened a few days ago and it seemed fine until this morning. He is an outside dog. The wound was covered with small white worms apparently maggots and I mean covered. The area is also now swollen. I took a hose and power washed the wound (near the ear) and it's now maggot free (I hope) but I am wondering what I can spray or put on the wound to kill any existing maggots that may exist. I am keeping him inside now. He is eating okay but is very very weak. He is 13 plus years old and have been thinking of puttin him down but hate that. Does anyone have any suggestions on care for the wound and to killthe bugs? No money for a vet... HELP:eek:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 07:15 PM

Swollen means infected, maggots means that this bite wound needs a vets care.

There is no home remedy that I know of that can get rid of the maggots and heal the infection.

You need to get to a vet. You'll have to find the money somehow, this dog is your responsibility and a maggot filled wound means he's not getting the proper care.
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Jun 9, 2009, 01:11 PM
    As pet owners, we owe it to our pets to get them adequate care when they are ill or injured. Most vets will accept a payment plan in order to get a pet medical treatment. If you are unwilling to do this, ask your vet if he or she will treat your pet and keep it or rehome it for you. That's what my vet does when people come in and try to have their pets euthanized for easily treatable conditions.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 01:14 PM

You can kill the maggots outside with rubbing alcohol but who knows how many are too far inside for you to get. Get him to the vet like the others suggested.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Use the money you were going to use to 'put him down' and then he can be treated and stick around for a while longer.:)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 04:41 PM
    Let me also suggest letting the vet re-home your pup. Judging by your other posts you've got an awful lot on your plate to be caring for a wounded animal.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 04:46 PM
    You POWERWASHED a dog?! :eek: Oh, my, that's got to hurt!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 04:58 PM

I have 2 dogs and I would never do what you did. Call aspca because they would help either for free or at a low fee. Poor dog! I let my fiancé read this thread and he was pissed off. I would never let him read something like this again.
    Pets Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 05:01 PM

I have to say that I'm shocked at the treatment (or lack thereof) that this dog is receiving.

I've been nice so far, I'm getting mad though. I really wish I could call the humane society on this owner.

Give the dog to someone that will give him the treatment he deserves and do not ever get another dog!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystal418 View Post
    power washed the wound (near the ear)
    I really do hope I was reading that wrong as we just powerwashed our swimming pool ladder last night and there is an outline of the ladder on the driveway.
    Pets Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 05:07 PM

I hope he means that they washed it very well by hand. Either way, this dog has maggots in his wound, the wound is swollen, no amount of washing is going to help, the maggots may have gotten further in.

This is called fly strike, it can kill!
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 05:14 PM

Also, the infection can spread and it can be deadly as Alty mention.

If you had a wound some where on your body wouldn't you go to the doctor or the nearest hospital?

You already stated the dog is weak that even more of a reason to take him beside the maggot. Your dog is in pain take him to the vet. I don't care if you have take something to the pawn shop--do it!
    harleysmommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jun 10, 2009, 12:20 PM
    :)I am going through the same thing myself I took my dog to the vet this morning and they gave me some shampoo that kills any kind of larvea and it worked pretty good wasn't but 15 bucks it was adams plus flea and tick shampoo with insect growth try and call a vet and check on that it killed the maggots on my dog you just have to pick the dead worms off afterwards nasty but works
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Oh, that is just so sad, ignorance is icky and knowing is just really bad.:(
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 04:47 PM

Maybe he missed the part regarding the open wound and his dog being weak. Maybe!

This is why when you have dog you should set aside money each week or month towards your dog emergency fund and/or vet bills. Things happen we least expect it.
    Pets Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 07:51 PM

We don't have a separate account for our pets but they never do without. If I have to go without food in order to get them the care they need then I will.

They didn't choose to be our pets, we chose them, therefore it's our responsibility to see to it that they get the care they need and deserve.

You wouldn't let your child walk around with an infected maggot filled wound, so how could you do it to your dog?

Animals don't have a voice, we are their voice and the OPs dog is saying "help me please" and going unheard.

It's so sad. Why don't people treat their animals better?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2009, 05:59 AM
    I was trying to avoid this thread because it made me angry but seriously you two... what the hell??

Your vet seriously told you to put flea treatment on it... and you believed him?

If you had an open wound on your own leg that had maggots in it would you get out the old pressure sprayer or pour flea treatment on it??

Of course you wouldn't!!

Get the dog the care it deserves, and go check yourself in for a labotomy while you are at it.
    sweetchicken Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2009, 06:24 AM
    OK guys enough. Obviously this person is trying to look for answers and didn't come to be crucified. If you don't have any constructive answers to help with this problem, then you should probably just not answer.

Maggots in wounds happen, especially during the warm months when there are lots of flies out and dogs with lots of hair where it isn't as visible. If the dog stays outside, flies and land and lay eggs one day and the next, they can hatch without you even knowing. OBVIOUSLY proper care of the wound or cleaning of feces (this happens when animals have diarrhea and it gets stuck in the fur) or whatever else is attracting the flies is the first line of defense, HOWEVER, now that your past that part it's time to get rid of the maggots. By "powerwash" I'm assuming you mean squirting with the hose and not a high pressure pump machine. Get real guys.

"Take it to the vet." Well, that is also my vote but….. what a genius suggestion! I bet that never occurred to this person! What a ground breaking concept. What is a vet going to do? That is what she is asking.

Not all vets know everything. My vet doesn't know of anything that will kill maggots without harming the animal in the process. She says you can try flea shampoo or sprays etc but there are varying results and the alcohol in sprays will do more to sting the dog instead of kill the worms.

Shave the dog in and around that area (there can be other "hotspots") and physically remove the worms and clean the wound with antiseptic, yes they can go deeper. So keep an eye on the area and get them out as they surface. It's going to take time. Maybe try some hydrogen peroxide to help bubble them out so you can remove them. If it is in an area that you can submerge it in water then you can try to drown them. At the same time put in some baking soda or Epsom salt to help sooth the animal.

The wound needs to be addressed as well; infection is not your friend. Antibiotics are the way to go with this. Your vet will have to give you a prescription.

On a separate note, if there are maggots coming from inside the anus and in the feces, and not just around or are superficial then the maggots can actually puncture the intestinal walls and is often fatal.

So to recap:
    1. Shave the area around the wound
    2. Clean the wound
    3. Physically remove the maggots
    4. Treat infection
    5. Keep flies away until it heals.

I hope this is a little more constructive than just telling the owner how horrible they are and that they need to set up a savings account.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Sweetchicken, did you happen to notice the question was asked and answered two months ago?

Your advice, while well meaning, is sadly out of date.
    Pets Expert

Jul 12, 2010, 12:29 PM

Disagrees by jilambie;

jjlambie : You people are f*@king nutz are you that f*@king stupid to think she really powerwashed it... get a brain and a life and stop blowing all you animals they don't have souls... FIN
    jjlambie : you have an ugly child no wonder your husband is pissed off
    jjlambie : I wish you would shut your retarded mouth!!
    jjlambie : your kid is ugly
    jjlambie : ugly kid
    Thread closed and jjlambie reported and hopefully banned. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I heal my wound? [ 28 Answers ]

Hi all of you Before posting this I read some of the older posts here in this forum and I really found myself.I'm just going over the same situation.ill just summarize my story. I am 24.I left my country 7 months ago. And there I left the person I loved more in my life and to be honest I...

Foxtail wound [ 2 Answers ]

My dog had a foxtail in his paw-i got it out and it looks better, but how can you tell that is healed completely?

Wound cleaner? [ 11 Answers ]

I've injured my knee:( is there any wound cleaner liquid anybody knows to clean wound without burning sense. Because I knew some wound cleaner but they all give burning sense. Let me know as soon as possible.

View more questions Search