Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trace2016 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 07:29 PM
    A/C Coil Cost
    Have a home warranty that covers A/C. They will pay to replace the coil but tell me I will need to pay 95.00 for old coil disposal and 125.00 for freon recovery. Is this reasonable?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2006, 08:37 PM
    If you are talking about the coil above the furnace or the air handler, which ever you have, then I think you are being shafted. Replacing this coil invloves pumping all of the freon out of the coil before it is disconected. Once the new coil is installed the freon is relaced back into the system, therefore nothing has to be recovered. As far as disposal of the old coil it will be sold as scrap metal and will bring a small amount of money depending on what it is made of and how much it weighs.

In my mind it is one jop that should be paid entirely by the Home warranty with the exception of what ever the amount of your deductable.

If you are talking about the coil outside about the same applies.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by trace2016
    Have a home warranty that covers A/C. They will pay to replace the coil but tell me I will need to pay 95.00 for old coil disposal and 125.00 for freon recovery. Is this reasonable?
    Tough call. Did all the refrigerant leak out? If so the evapoator coil could have pulled a negative pressure sucking air and non-condensibles ito the system. If this happened the old refrigerant should be recovered and reclaimed. The system needs to be evacuated to less than 500 microns inhg (inches of mercury) and recharged with new. If the system has a small leak the refrigerant is probably fine. Most A/C's today have service valves and the refrigerant can be simply pumped back into the unit. After the coil is replaced and evacuated, the charge is releases and then just topped off. There should be no coil disposal fee, as we use this scrap money to by coffee, donuts and petty cash for the office. You should only have to pay your deductable for this work to be done. It is up to the contractor, to get the home warranty company, to pay the money they need to do the job. If they want more than the deductable cost from you, report then to your warranty company. In short pay your 75-100 dollar deductable and that is all, ask about warranty from the contractor. It should be at least 1 year labor. Have another contractor out (for a check and service) before that warranty expires to be sure the work was performed correctly and to see if there is a leak. Good luck.
    wondjord Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 05:52 AM

I live in fl and told the contractor I will dispose of the unit and not pay 95.00 he stated that it was a epa law that he could not leave the unit with me he had to take it to a site and they charged him 95.00 so he charges me
    centex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 08:51 AM
    I just received a quote for replacing the evaporative coil in the attic (4 ton). What is a fair price for this?
    I have been quoted $3,000.

I just received a quote for replacing the evaporative coil in the attic (4 ton). What is a fair price for this?

wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by trace2016 View Post

I`ve never heard of a law that says you have to pay to dispose of a coil
    They buy them around here. It belongs to you. I would use it for decoration(put christmas lights on it) before I would pay someone 95.00 to remove it and take it and sell for scrap.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 01:02 PM
    That is a lot of money for just a coil replacement. Get at least 2 more estimates.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 25, 2009, 06:28 PM

Most contractors do not reuse refridgerant when it has been recovered. Unless the jug has only that systems refridgerant in it. It is better to just use new and not cause issues.
    heidiroberts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 10:18 AM

I have a home warranty and our heat strip heater did not quit it just is not heating, the contractor said he could not replace the heat strips because they were to old but the exhaust fan was not a covered unit $150.00, $125.00 to replace the 4 x 4 piece of plywood in the bottom of the closet where it sits, $125.00 freon recovery and $125.00 for disposal of the old unit. We said we would dispose of it ourselves and he said its an EPA rule that says we can't. I think we are being scammed.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Home warrenty's usually do not pay the contractor what it costs to replace a coil so they have to charge for some extras. If you do not like it do not blame the contractor blame the home warranty company.
    mrlorencb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 09:54 PM
    Depending on the scope of work involved in replacing your coil, yes $3000 could be a fair price, however that would be on the extreme side of labor intensive. Our cost on them is anywhere from $250-$600 depending on size and seer. He rest is labor, and if your Evaporative coil was leaking, then yes refrigerant and recovery are necessary.
    mrlorencb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 09:58 PM
    Comment on mrlorencb's post
    And as a side note, add-ons from the contractor are entirely legal, but are usually an additional charge to the policy holder to get a bit more money out of the job. There is no EPA law stating we are not allowed to leave the coil with the homeowner... That is just stupid.
    LBOW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 02:32 PM
    So you think for the 60$ serivce fee and around 400 the warranty costs to cover HVAC, Water Heater, Dishwasher, Oven, Stove, garbage disposal equipment, trash compactor equipment and labor plus other items on electrical and plumbing that the HW company should absorb the costs of reclaimation?

How much would an AC tech cost to replace my 2 ton condenser?
    lelefair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 03:13 AM
    Can you give a fair price for replacing a coil for 3 ton a/c unit? All I need is a fair range,
    lelefair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 03:15 AM
    Can you give a fair price range for replacing a coil in a 3 ton a/c unit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of A Coil for AC [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Guys I want to buy an AC 2 ton but I have a fairly large air plenum on my furnace about 20 by 22 inches and any AC’s that I have looked at come with a smaller A Coil so if I used this it would greatly reduce my air flow. The A Coil looks like it is meant for a furnace in an apartment size...

98 F-150 coil packs [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently purchased a 98 F-150 5.4L. When I test drove it it had no power and the engine studdered violently. When they repaired the truck they told me it was bad coil packs causing missfires. 10 days ago I picked the truck up running smooth and strong. Then yesterday it just started doing it...

I need a new heater coil and ignitor [ 3 Answers ]

My a/c guy told me I need a new heater coil and ignitor, but its going to be expensive. I am handy and electronically and mechanically inclined, can someone help me do it myself? Thanks!

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

View more questions Search