Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmas926 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2005, 12:09 PM
    Installing Utility Sink in Basement Laundry
    I want to install a utility sink in my basement laundry. Can I hook the drain into the Stand Pipe for the washer? Or, do I have to hook it into one of the other main waste stacks that drop from the main floor above?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2005, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmas926
    I want to install a utility sink in my basement laundry. Can I hook the drain into the Stand Pipe for the washer? Or, do I have to hook it into one of the other main waste stacks that drop from the main floor above?
    I don't think you're going to like what I have to say. Ya can't hook it up either way and not run into code violations. You may not discharge a major fixture such as a toilet or a bathroom group past a unvented minor one such as your laundry tray. So that eliminates simply hooking it into a existing waste stack.
    And you can not double trap a fixture so if you trapped the sink, you would also have a trap in the washer stand pipe. But even if you elbowed over, without a trap on the sink you would have to tie in so low that I'm afraid that when the washer discharged that you would get water back up in the sink.
    So how can you hook up your laundry tray and drain and vent it by code?
    The drainage hookup will go like this. If a 4" stack, cut in a 4 X2" DWV Drainage tee into the waste stack of your choice about 11 " off the floor to center of the branch of the tee. Come off the branch of that tee with a piece of 2" to the spot you want the sink and 2" short sweep elbo and put a 2"X 2 X 1 1/2" DWV drainage tee on top of it facing out at 16" off the floor to center of the branch.. Stub out 1 1/2" and that is what your "P" trap will hook into. The open part of the tee will run up and over and revent back in to the existing washer vent. You must use the washer vent for a revent as that sounds like the only vent that isn't taking the discharge from another fixture. Now you're legal. Good luck, Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2005, 07:19 PM
    Speed ball,
    Can he connect the new laundry basin where the washer is and then drain the washer into the basin??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 23, 2005, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman
    Speed ball,
    Can he connect the new laundry basin where the washer is and then drain the washer into the basin????
    Tommy,
    That he could do. He would have one hellava long tailpiece dropping from the sink drain to the trap and the trap might have to repositioned but yes, if he used the washer standpipe for a tailpiece out of the laundry tray drain and tee'd off the water over to pick up the sink it would be vented and in code.
    If he wished he could move the trap,( and the sink) 3 1/2' away from the vent if the trap were 1 1/2" or 5' if it were 2".
    Thanks for coming up with another, (and easier) solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extending utility sink drain for bar sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a utility sink in my walk-out basement - that sink's 1.5 inch drain connection is approx. 18" above the floor, into a two inch horizontal run. This 2 inch horizontal PVC runs about 3 feet, then connects to a main 3" DWV. I would like to add a bar sink, set into a standard height (36")...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Repairing hairline crack in 1920s utility (laundry) sink [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house that has an old concrete double basin utility sink. The right basin has a hairline crack and leaks water. I'd hate to sledge and remove it and was hoping this is fixable. Any suggestions?

Adding a utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on adding a utility sink to my laundry room, I was planning on tapping into the water lines and drain to the washer. I have not opened up the wall yet so I don't know the exact configuration of the drain, but my question is if I run the sink drain of off the drain from the washer...

Installing a utility tub [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I want to install a utility tub in my laundry room. My question is, can I tee the tub drain into the washer drain stack? I really don't want to run a separate drain pipe all the way to the main stack ( about 30ft). About the house; single story, crawl space, laundry room at back of house,...

View more questions Search