Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    resinner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Minimum amount that can be sued for in small claims court
    I would like to know what the minimum amount is that can be sued for in small claims court in Ontario.

A collection agency is harassing me for a very small amount ($45) that for various reasons I utterly refuse to pay. Are they likely to take it as far as small claims court and if so is there a minimum amount they have to sue for?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 07:58 PM

Well of course by the time it gets into court it will be a lot more than 45. They will have interst, late fees, legal fees and court fees.
    So expect this to be at least several hundrend if not 400 to 500 by the time they actually sue you.

But yes they can sue for 45 if they want plus all costs.

In the end, if you legally and actually owe it, pay it now for 40 or 45 and save yourself a lot of extra cost
    resinner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 04:18 PM

I am of course aware that the cost will escalate. However the cost also escalates for the agency until such time as judgement is awarded against me. So the agency is taking a risk in taking it to court. The risk is that for whatever reason they may not be able to collect. So my question is are they likely to pursue this in court for such a small amount taking into account it may just not be worth the hassle? After all they are risking their own money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am being sued in small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Arizona and I am being sued for $10,000 because of an accident I was in 6 years ago and my insurance had lapsed. Now my license is revoked and can not be reinstated until I satisfy the judgement. I've made two offers to his attorney and her last response to my offer of $6,800 was they...

Selling small claims amount that was awarded [ 3 Answers ]

I won a small claims case and I am wondering is there some way to sell the amount to a third party because the person would take 3 years to pay the amount at the amount the judge allowed.

Being sued in small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I purchased a mobile home (land contract and I don't even think the contract was legal) in 7-06. I was going through a divorce at that time. I had to land contract because I only worked 2 to 3 days per week and depended on my alimony that was ordered by the court. When I moved in, the...

Being sued for small credit card amount [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued buy a credit card for less than 4000. I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose my home. My husband is going to freak when I tell him I have 4 kids ican barely afford to feed as it is. I just went back to work a few months ago I don't know what to do we are considered below the...

Being sued in small claims court for an accident that was not my fault [ 3 Answers ]

I am being sued in small claims court for an accident that was not my fault. I was not even hit in the accident, according to police it was a one car accident. A guy that was driving behind me, hit a guard rail because he thought I was turning right not left and went around me on the left, but I...

View more questions Search