Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxman1970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2006, 09:21 PM
    Kenmore electric dryer/ no power
    I have an electric kenmore dryer, seems like it is not getting power. I have checked the breaker everything is fine there took off the back panel and have tested that it is getting power as far down the hot wire as I can check that leads to the blower motor. Even when you open the door there is no light anymore either. Any ideas on where it is losing power?
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 11, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Check for 220-240 volts across the two hot legs on the outlet. A voltage reading of 110-120 volts from hot to neutural is normal.

Confirm the cord is wired correctly at the dryer.

If so, then its really a matter of discovering where the voltage stops.

I just pulled up a kenmore dryer wiring diagram. If your light isn't coming on, but you know you have power when you open the door. (assuming the bulb isn't blown), and your dryer won't start, your problem could be your door switch. The diagram Im seeing has a door switch that used both NC and NO (normally open and normally closed) terminals.

When the door is open, the switch will provide a neutural to the light in the drum. When the door is closed, that switch chances, and provides a neutural to the timer. If the switch lets say has a burned contact on the common side, then neither will work. If the neutiral wire came off the common on the switch, then neither will work.

Check the switch first. You can use a voltage check on this, but checking a neutural can be tricky, I recommend removing the switch and ohming it out. Hold one lead on the common side. Do not actuate the switch and theck the normally closed contact (NC) you should read continuity. Acutate the switch and check the normally open side (NO), you should read continuity. If these checks reveal infinite, or "OL" on digital meters, or reads a otherwise high resistance, reaplce the switch. If that checks good then its back to the drawing board.

Also, note that I just pulled up a random kenmore diagram off the internet, that doesn't mean YOUR dryer is wired that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rear bearing on General Electric clothes dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to replace the rear bearing on dryer model DDE6500GALAD? I can put a drop of oil on it from the rear of the dryer and it stops squeaking for a few loads but then starts again. I can't find any documentation for it on the GE site. Thanks

Magic chef electric dryer thermal cutoff [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Magic Chef electric dryer model # YE/YG225LV, the dryer runs but doesn't heat up. I had this problem before and the part # 279769 was replaced by my dad last year and that solved the problem. My dad recently has passed away, and I want to know how to replace this part again, and...

Electric dryer heats up, won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty dryer that heats up, but nothing happens when I press that start button. By heating up, I mean I turn the timer dial and I can open the door, look inside, and see the glowing red heating element and it is still heating with the door open. Pressing the start button,...

Whirlpool electric dryer not fully drying [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool electric dryer model number gew9868kq0. When I have a little load it dries OK in auto mode. When I have a med to full load I have to start it up a few times to dry in auto sensing mode. Any help would be great... Mike

Electric Dryer Question [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire Electric Dryer that is taking entirely too long to dry clothes. It takes about 3 dryer cycles (approximately 3 hours) to get one regular load of clothes to dry completely. When I open the dryer, it feels pretty warm/hot. Any ideas what could be causing this?

View more questions Search