Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grant newcastle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Blower will not come on with A/C
    The blower will not come on when A/C is set to on. The compressor runs and I hear clicks from the relays but nothing happens. I jumpered the motor and it ran fine (it is bran new). By the way, the heater works just fine. I discovered a possibly burnt out diode with a 37 on it. Could this be the problem or simply a symptom of something larger?
    This is a Lennox heat pump hybrid M/N 80MGF 3/4-100A-5 single phase 13 years old with new compressor unit outside and new blower motor.
    Pic attached of possible burnt diode on control board.
    Thank you in advance,
    Grant
    Attached Images

Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 08:03 AM
    I can't say whether the diode is causing the blower not to come on or not, but a burned out diode can definitely cause some problem, somewhere. Get another diode, 1N4005 would be a good one that is available everywhere, and jumper the faulty one. Make sure the orientation of the "band" is the same as the existing diode. If the motor comes on, you've found your problem. If it doesn't, I'd suspect something else on the circuit board that caused the diode to fail. There are a couple of relays on that board that could be the blower relays. The diode might be a protective diode.
    grant newcastle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    I can't say whether the diode is causing the blower not to come on or not, but a burned out diode can definitely cause some problem, somewhere. Get another diode, 1N4005 would be a good one that is available everywhere, and jumper the faulty one. Make sure the orientation of the "band" is the same as the existing diode. If the motor comes on, you've found your problem. If it doesn't, I'd suspect something else on the circuit board that caused the diode to fail. There are a couple of relays on that board that could be the blower relays. The diode might be a protective diode.
    Thank you Perito.
    I will try to find that diode today and pick it up on my lunch. I will jumper it tonight and let you know what I find out. I am hopeful to avoid buying a new control board. If anyone out there has more suggestions or things to try please do.
    Thanks again,
    Grant
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 08:14 AM

A 1N400# will also work. The last digit is the current rating. Any in that series should work.

If you're good, you can check for an input signal to one or both of those relays. The signal should close the relays when calling for the blower. If the signal is there, but if the contacts don't closed (voltmeter check), the relay is faulty. If you can determine which are the output pins, you can jumper them. If the blower comes on, you know which relay is responsible for it, and you probably also know what the problem is.

Be careful. It looks like the relays are rated for high voltage (there's a 240 VAC rating at 10-20 amps stamped on them).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat blower works ac blower won't shut off. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am having trouble with my RTH230B Honeywell. I have a Gas furnace and an outdoor ac unit hooked up to a blower and the blower has a heat off cool setting on a switch on it. Our when set on heat everything works as it should. BUT as soon as I turn the blower to cool it turns on and...

Blower not working and blower running all the time [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Lennox electric furnace that's about 10 years old or so, the elements come on but no blower. There is a summer fan switch that will make the blower run when switched on, but it will not come on with a call for heat. Also at my work, there is a york gas pack that is probably 15 years old....

Blower [ 2 Answers ]

My blower will not run it just makes a loud humming sound I'm sure I may need to replace it. And I know I can but I don’t know where to start to look for the part new or used

Blower [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 15 year old gas fired furnace. I recently changed the old White-Rogers thermostat to a digital non-programmable one.. I connected all the wires (5 wires) White to white, yellow to yellow, red to RC, and Black to R, and green to green. The problem I'm having is being able to run...

Blower won't come on... [ 1 Answers ]

I have a York furnace and ac unit. The blower won't come on. :mad: The blower motor works I found that no power was going to the blower so I by passed it to stay on all the time. :cool: What I need to know know is what is causing it there is a Honeywell circuit board (ST9120b 1005)...

View more questions Search