Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    socalcanuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 12:48 PM
    How do I remove cast iron/possibly brass plug from cleanout drain in bathroom?
    My bathroom sink is plugged solid. I tried to use snake under sink but can't seem to get it in very far. There is an old corroded clean out sticking out of the wall behind the toilet so I removed the toilet to get at it but it doesn't budge. It has a square nut on the top of what looks to be a brass plug in a cast iron pipe? There is a silver soft substance ( I guess a seal?) that I have been picking away since lubricating oil did nothing. Am I wasting my time , should I just go through one on the roof or there is one on the ground outside next to the bathroom, would that be the one I want to try?
    If I do need to go through the one in the bathroom how do I get it open??
    Please advise ASAP----thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 03:07 PM

Did you remove the trap completely before you tried rodding from under the sink? A 1/4" sanke should be able to make the turns.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 03:20 PM

Can you let us know where your sink is located in relation to the toilet. If sink is next to toilet, the cleanout behind the toilet most likely won't do you any good. Your sink drain would tie into toilet vent so the sink drain would have to be augered from under the sink. How big is the brass plug? If you really want to get it out, you will have to knock it out. Take a hammer and hit the square part until it caves in(careful not to break it completely off and let it fall into sewer) Then take a chisel and hammer and pry the plug out at the threads. Good luck and please let us know how things work out.

Jun 1, 2009, 05:06 PM

Mygirl give the answer to your actual question. However, I think you should try removing the trap and using a 1/4" snake under the sink.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 05:21 PM

Agree with Bob. This is the only real answer to your problem. You may have to work it pretty hard, It can be frustrating, but it will pay off in the End.

On a side note... I think I'm going to have to change my screen name, Mygirlsdadd77 is a little confusing.lol. Maybe... the father of my girls would be less confusing. Or, as some of you guys abbreviate.. mgd. Better to sound like a beer than a girl.. lol.

Anyway. Ballengerb1 has given the advice that you need to follow, so please let us know how things go.

Jun 1, 2009, 05:26 PM

Mygirlsdad, don't change your screen name, you loose your history. AMHD does not allow name changes, you must start over from scratch so don't do it.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 05:34 PM

OK. Ill stick with it. Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 1, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Lee, (MGD) Nailed it!
    The cover's brass,(see image) and that "silver soft substance" is a lead and oakuim poured joint. The cover can be replaced so just follow Lees directions and smack that sucker right in the center. Good luck, tom
    Attached Images

socalcanuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Lee, (MGD) Nailed it!
    The cover's brass,(see image) and that "silver soft substance" is a lead and oakuim poured joint. The cover can be replaced so just follow Lees directions and smack that sucker right in the center. good luck, tom
    Thanks to all of you for your help. I ended up banging on the plug and I used my "saws all" with a skinny drill bit and poked it in and out around it to loosen up the lead enough to pull it out. Man, stuff sure was made to last. I finally got it out , but I could tell right away, like one of you said,it didn't help to snake it. Would there be a lateral pipe if my toilet and sink are side by side? If so ,I can't seem to get my snake to make the corner or something.
    At the end of the day I still had a plugged sink and now have my toilet removed and the ancient clean-out drain plug now unsealed .
    I hooked the sink drain back up, plugged the vent hole, and plunged the __ _ _ _ out of it . I got some bubbles so I poured 2 gallons of bleach into the sink and gave up for the day. Next morning the bleach had gone down. I ran hot water for a while and it seemed to keep going down. So I have a feeling that I never got to the root of the problem but fine for now.
    My new problem is how do I reseal that old plug?
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 05:36 PM

An expansoin plug is your best bet here. Ive come to love the T-Cone plugs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shortening a cast iron sewer cleanout [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cast iron sewer cleanout in my front yard that I want to lower by a couple feet due to landscaping. Can I just cut this with a grinder and use a Fernco adapter to attach a new PVC cap housing on? Is there a metal solution? Thanks for ideas.

Need to Remove Cast Iron Bathroom Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a cast iron bathroom sink that's bolted onto the wall. I don't see any bolts. Help! Suggestions?

Removing brass fittings from Cast Iron pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I need to snake the line under my bathroom sink. The problem is I have a dual sink setup. The vent pipe is also connected there so I have a cast iron cross fitting where the four meet (the two sink drains, the vent pipe, and the drain to the main line). I was attempting to remove one of the...

Removing Brass pipe from Cast Iron [ 8 Answers ]

http://www.msnusers.com/dddm86ru89coki506bhl3iuih3/Documents/Pictures/May162007drain%20004%2Ejpg Hi, I'm trying to remove a brass pipe from a cast iron floor drain in the basement. The pipe is part of a backwater floater ball unit. I removed the brass cleanout plug with a crescent wrench...

Must remove concrete floor section to replace rotted rod iron drain pipe in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove concrete flooring section in a bathroom? We found a broken rotten rod iron drain pipe when tearing out walls for remodeling and unfortunately (blessing) found out the pipe was rotted. Plumber says to replace with PVC but we have to dig up/cut up the floor ourselves....

View more questions Search