Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovinthetrail Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 02:24 PM
    Is hugging ex spouse OK?
    This is a second marriage for both my husband and I. We both have to communicate with our ex's regularly, and see them often, too. It usually is quite amicable. My question is... is it appropriate for us to hug our ex's? When it's a birthday, or graduation, or even the worst happens and one of our parents die? I personally am not comfortable with the idea, but am open to other ideas. What does the hugging truly signify? If there is another gesture to show compassion, without getting physical, what do you think it is? I would like to know how this is handled in our society, and especially from a spiritual perspective, i.e... what would Jesus want us to do? Does anyone have any direct scriptural source on how we are to act toward others of the opposite sex once we are married?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 02:26 PM

Hugging is about comfort, if your relationship is amicable, why would you be opposed to receiving and giving comfort to an ex-spouse?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 02:46 PM

It depends on your reason for hugging.

If it's for comfort, then it's fine. If it's for intimacy, then it's borderline cheating.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 07:52 PM
    I'm not sure why Jesus should be involved in this, but for me it's perfectly acceptable to hug an ex-spouse.

If they are your ex, then they are technically another human being, and why wouldn't you want to show them comfort and love?

I see my ex regularly and have no problems hugging him. We cared about each other when we were married, why would we not continue to care about each other now just as any good friends would?

The hugging signifies a shared past, shared memories and the capacity as an adult and a mature human being to move on, without rancour but with love and friendship.

You should feel blessed that you have this opportunity to relate to your respective ex's in this way. As you well know, many people have destructive and difficult relationships with their ex's.
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Jun 1, 2009, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    I'm not sure why Jesus should be involved in this, but for me it's perfectly acceptable to hug an ex-spouse.

If they are your ex, then they are technically another human being, and why wouldn't you want to show them comfort and love?

I see my ex regularly and have no problems hugging him. We cared about each other when we were married, why would we not continue to care about each other now just as any good friends would?

The hugging signifies a shared past, shared memories and the capacity as an adult and a mature human being to move on, without rancour but with love and friendship.

You should feel blessed that you have this opportunity to relate to your respective ex's in this way. As you well know, many people have destructive and difficult relationships with their ex's.
    Loving,

Just adding another voice to Gemini's statements. There is nothing wrong with loving hugs between people who have been able to stay friends after their marriages were done, especially if there are children. There is something wrong with the more common situation in which exes hate each other and forget the affection and caring that they once shared, especially if there are children. I don't know about scripture, but I believe that if you refer to your sense of wholesomeness, forgiveness, or mutual respect you will know what these hugs mean.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 10:11 PM
    I think it is fine, unless your spouse has a serious issue with it.

I usually ramble... complicate posts by going on and on.

Don't see a reason to here.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Had to spread the rep Gemini, but I agree with you.

If there is no animosity, and it's not forced or faked, there is nothing wrong with a sincere hug.

I love hugs, and the only people who I won't hug, are those that I don't want to hug me. In which case, I extend my hand instead.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 10:21 AM

It depends on the situation. Ration the hugs to when it is appropriate and don't hug if one of the new spouses has a problem with it.

Hug to show there are no hard feelings, a comforting hug, a haven't seen you in a while and its good to see you again type hugs are fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Non resident spouse - Can I claim spouse exemption (1040 6b) [ 8 Answers ]

I am a resident alien with a non resident alien spouse who: (a) Moved to the US in August 2007 on H4, but left shortly afterwards to close ties in the foreign country (in preparation of permanent move in 2008) (b) Does not meet the substantial presence test in 2007 (c) has no US income during...

Submitting spouse W7, should spouse SSN in 1040 left blank? [ 2 Answers ]

I am submitting W7 form for my wife with my 1040 and 1040 Schedule A (itemized deductions) forms. What should I put for spouse SSN in 1040 form? Should I just write "ITIN TO BE REQUESTED" for spouse SSN? Also, on second page of 1040 I see I have my SSN on top right corner of the page, but...

Work or Spouse Visa.future Military spouse. [ 1 Answers ]

I really have no idea where to start... I am engaged and currently visiting my fiancé (a Marine) in Okinawa, Japan. . He is stationed in Japan for the next 9 months. I was considering moving to Japan to be with him during this tour. I do not have a job in the US, I will more than likely find...

View more questions Search