Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MAVERICK21502 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 11:44 PM
    Can the landlord really do this to some one on ssi?
    In the State of Maryland; if a landlord rents an apartment to a tenant knowing that the tenant is on SSI (social security income) and also knowing that the tenant doesn't get paid until the first of the month, because of this issue, is it allowed for the landlord to penalize the tenant if the tenants SSI check is not received in the landlords hands on the first of the month, but in addition to it is still paid on the first of the month and mailed out by money order on the 1st of the month. ; The rent money order does not come to the landlord until a few days later but is paid on the first. The landlord wants the money on the first but the landlord lives out of town so it takes the post office several days to deliver. The rule is the money is to be paid on the first, and the money order says it is; but is not received in the landlords hands because the landlord lives out of town. Should the tenant be charged 5% late fee?:confused:
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 02:13 AM

I can't find an answer for that specific case but here's a link to a page with a bunch of numbers for assistance with rental problems and things
    Maryland Attorney General - Consumer Publications - Landlord and Tenants hope it helps :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:23 AM

Hello M:

The disability has NOTHING to do with it. SSI has NOTHING to do with it. The only thing that matters is the law and the lease and the DATE the money is received...

Rent is DUE on the 1st. That means it must be in the landlords HANDS on the 1st, or the tenant is subject to a late fee.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 08:26 AM

Whatever agreement was made between the parties is the only agreement that matters. If the rent is payable on the first or else there's a late fee, then that's the agreement.

SSI or whatever else is used to pay the rent does not matter.
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Jun 1, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Unsure if this is helpful or not but being on SSI myself I know you can get a Free (totally) Debit card through a program set up Just for people getting SSI and SSDI.
    Your check is put on to that card at 1:00Am on the 1st.
    You could get your check on this and than see if they will allow a credit or debit card payment.
    The service is called
    Direct Express. https://www.usdirectexpress.com/edcf...gin_client.jsp

Have you tried addressing this in writing with the landlord? Send a letter addressing the fact you get your check on the first and would like to have a 5 day grace period to allow the rent to arrive to her Let them know you will mail it out on the first as you always have.
    Is it low income? Section 8? Is it possible this landlord is trying to force you out?
    Did this only Just start taking place or has it always been this way?

Also when you look at your lease is there no grace period allowed mentioned on it?
    I know on every lease I have ever signed I have had a 5 day grace period allowed.
    I found this info for MD rent law
    Unsure what county you are in This is from a site for PG County.

TENANT RESPONSIBILITIES
    The tenant should pay the rent on time and treat the landlord’s property with care. Unless there is a stated grace period, the landlord can file suit in rent court against the tenant if the tenant is one day late in paying the rent (late charges are limited to 5% of monthly rent; $3.00 for weekly rent). In Prince Georges County, a late fee cannot be accessed until after the rent is five days late and then can only be accessed at 1% a day up to a total of 5%. In all counties, the landlord can hold the tenant responsible for any damages caused to the property by the tenant

This page here explains more about the situation you are asking about.
    Your Rent: Due Dates, Grace Periods and Late Fees

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with a landlord that's never been a Landlord [ 15 Answers ]

I have had numerous landlords in my lifetime with all of them the same. They abide by the laws for tenant and landlord. Especially when they have a tenant that pays on time and respects their property. I am currently renting from a landlord that has never been a landlord and seems to think that...

Bad landlord [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into my house in December after I paid the land lord my money he tells me that I cannot use the garage at the property I said fine I thought maybe it was just something wrong with it but then I see him coming back and forth out the garage so I say to him if you are going to be using it take...

My Landlord [ 3 Answers ]

I just have a question about my landlord. I asked my landlord to come and fix a foul smell in my house and he said it came from a leaky pipe. He fixed the pipe but I also asked him to remove the carpet in there cause it stunk like mold and he said no just let it dry and it will be OK. Well it has...

My Landlord and I [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My Name Is Elizabeth I Live In Brooklyn N.y. Im Trying To Get Some Answerd I Move To A Apartment On February 11, 2007 The Rent Was $1,400 Every Month My Rent Is Due On The 11th Of Each Mont This What Happen I Spocked With My Land Lord On March 2007 That My Husben Was Sick The Doctors...

Landlord will not fix air [ 3 Answers ]

I have been in my building 3 months now and my airconditoner has went out, this is a commercial building, my landlord will not call me back & will not answer my phone calls. I have been doing research and I will mail him a letter but what else can I do since you have to be in a building for 6...

View more questions Search