Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puptent Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Screeching Toilet after flushing when refilling is complete
    After we flush the toilet a screeching sound occurs at the end of it filling up. Does this have to be fixed? Do I need a plumber?

puptent
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 12:50 PM

It sounds like you have problem with your fill valve, please remove the toilet tank lid, See which one is your fill valve see the Images below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

May 31, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    It sounds like you have problem with your fill valve, please remove the toilet tank lid, See which one is your fill valve see the Images below, Thanks.

John

I checked it out and it is filling fine except at the end when it seems the water is twinkling out the last drops. The level is perfect so far. Our toilet looks like the colored illustration you sent. What do I need to do to fix this?

puptent
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 06:13 PM

It sounds like the problem is with the ball cock, the noise you hear is the washer vibrating against the seat as the tank fills. The solution would be to S/O the water at the angle stop, remove the tank lid and remove the screws on top of the ballcock pull the float ball and stem and washer assembly up and out, Pry the washer out with a flat screw driver and turn it over. With the ballcock still open, slightly turn on the water to flush the supply out. Check the linkage between the flapper and the flush lever. It should have ¼” to ½”of play when your tank is full, see the Image below.

(Loose washer at end of angle vale stem will also make the noise)
    Good Luck.

John
    Attached Images

May 31, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Screeching Toilet after flushing when refilling is complete
    What do I do to stop the screeching in the toilet? The tank is filling and everything flushes down. The fill valve works however at the very end it trinkles at bit. But that is the end and it then screeches. What do I do to fix this?

puptent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank keeps refilling [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, Attached is the set up of my toilet tank that I've borrowed from one of the postings on this site. The only difference is that my Refill Tube goes all the way into the Overflow Pipe. After I flush my toilet, and the water has refilled to the appropriate level, a few drops of water would...

Toilet tank keeps refilling [ 5 Answers ]

Our toilet tank is draining a little from somewhere because it will refill a little every couple of minutes. I tried replacing the flapper and flushing mechanism, but it's still happening. The only thing left to change would be the seal between the tank and toilet... right?:confused:

Toilet not refilling immediately [ 2 Answers ]

What would cause my toilet to NOT refil immediately after flushing? It normally takes 2 minutes afterwards. Enough time to wash your hands, leave the bathroom, sit on the couch, and then would you hear the toilet start to refill. With seven in our house, and only two toilets, I need to correct...

After Flushing it keeps refilling 3 -4 times [ 5 Answers ]

I replaced a flapper in the toilet and now it refills the toilet bowl several times after each flush. What is causing this and how do I fix it?

Phantom toilet refilling [ 4 Answers ]

Over the last several weeks, I have noticed that the toilet will run for about 10 seconds, although it is not being used. It seems to coincide with using the kitchen or bathtub drains. I'd appreciate any suggestions...

View more questions Search