Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nula Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Furnace fan not working
    Hello,

I have YORK furnace model N1VSD10A06.
    Today the furnace fan stopped working. When I set the thermostat Fan switch to ON, and I am next to the furnace I can hear the fan trying to start but it can not and just makes humming sound, and a bit of vibration.
    When I turn the Fan switch to OFF the sound (and vibration) stops.

I can rotate with hand the blower and it moves freely. There is not resistance or anything to obstruct it movement.

Some of the diagrams that I have for this unit show run capacitor. I took out the motor but I do not see anywhere a single big capacitor. I opened the motor back cover and there are two big capacitors inside, each 680 uF, soldered to the control board (the one inside the motor).

Any suggestions what should I check? To me it looks like the motor is gone, but maybe I am wrong.
    BTW the motor is GE BW02.

Thanks,

D.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 01:55 PM

Could be the motor, or could be the start capasitor.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 01:58 PM
    http://viot.us/HVAC/images/Cap35.jpg

Look for this mounted on the blower. Check for burnt wire or the top swollen or having oil. They cost about 15 dollars and a motor is going to cost about $90 so I would try the capasitor first.

Can you get a pic of the blower and big capasitors.?

May 31, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    http://viot.us/HVAC/images/Cap35.jpg

look for this mounted on the blower. check for burnt wire or the top swollen or having oil. they cost about 15 dollars and a motor is going to cost about $90 so i would try the capasitor first.

can you get a pic of the blower and big capasitors.??
    No burned wires and no oil marks.

Here are several pictures.
    I can not find any such capacitor.
    The two big capacitors are inside the motor, after I remove the motor back cover, and are soldered to the motor control board.

Thanks,

D.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 02:23 PM

Picture number 2 looks like the winner most times that is the part that will fail first. I have not replace a veriable speed motor, but have replace several of this motor heads. How old is this unit?

May 31, 2009, 02:28 PM
    The motor is from 1997, according to the stickers.

Do you think the two caps are the issue? The board is attached with non-standard screws...

New motor is around $400 (I found one at Air Conditioning Parts,Furnace Parts, Heating Parts, Appliance Parts)... look like a lot of money for a motor..
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 02:32 PM

I do not think it is the capasitors. And the motor and the motor head are 2 seprate parts. Both of witch are expencive. Let me run your model number threw my york factory site and see if I can get you some part numbers
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 02:47 PM

S1-02425935702 is the part number of the motor. Not show the number of the head on the site I will have to check with york tomorrow. Also if you do not want the varable speed, or don't want the high bill for the motor you can replace it with just a regular 3 speed blower motor.

May 31, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Thank you very much for the part number.
    I think the motor itself is Ok - I measured with ohm meter and it shows 20 ohms, with the motor head removed.
    If it is possible to replace just the motor head, that would be good to know.

Will a regular 3 speed motor be compatible with this furnace? Do I need to make any customizations or add additional parts (beside a capacitor)?
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 05:45 PM

Depends on the control board, sum boards are set up to run both already and a few are set up for variable speed only I woill have to check for you or you can load a pic of it. I will have ou a part number for the motor head tomorrow.

May 31, 2009, 05:52 PM
    I checked mine. In the lower right corner, it says "Remove for variable speed motor" - basically piece of the board has been removed.

I guess I will need new control board if I decide to go with 3 speed regular motor.

Thanks,

D.

Jun 1, 2009, 07:01 AM
    Any suggestions for places to buy YORK parts from?
    I thought I can buy from a dealer, but they do not sell parts. They want to come and service the unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual fuel rheem furnace not working, defrost control board replaced still not working [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have a Rheem furnace and is only one year old. Recently my furnace didn't come on so I had someone come out and look at it and it turns out it was the defrost board on the heat pump that was bad. I replaced the board with a new one and turned the system on and it worked on heat and...

Furnace burner keeps working even if the blower is not working [ 3 Answers ]

My gas furnace (Trane XL80) this morning started to smell like plastic was burning from the registers, I went to check the furnace and noticed that the blower wasn't working so I turned the breaker off. My question is, should the burner had to turned off if the blower wasn't working for some time?

Furnace is not working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a thermostat that is showing the house to be 60 degrees while it is set for 72. The furnace will not come on when in the auto mode and when switched to on for the blower, Nothing will come on. This is a lennox elite system with a honeywell digital thermostat. Thanks for any help you can...

Furnace not working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a payne HVAC and burner will come on, when I went up in the attic to check it out I noticed a part missing, I believe it was the alternate limit switch, would this cause for the unit to not come on, do I need a switch? Thanks in advance to whom ever can answer my question!

Furnace not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Intertherm Split System A Frame unit. I turned the furnace on and it came on ran for about 1 min and went off. It did this 3 or 4 times then I turned if off. It was blowing heated air through vents, it just kept shutting off and comeing on every 1 min or so till I turned it off. Now it...

View more questions Search