Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    David Blakely Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Dying or disease crabapple tree
    Tree is very old... beautiful green leafs in spring. Leafs are slowly turning yellow, with black spots. Last summer tree dropped all leaves by August. Tree is hollow in many main branches... growing spurts off major trunk.

Trimmed back old dead branches... not sure if tree is dying or disease. What course of action to extend healthier life? Not interested in cutting tree down... want to save!

Thanks for any words of wisdom to help save tree!!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 05:43 PM

Hi, David Blakely!

Below, is some information from the following site that you might find to be helpful.

Flowering Crabapple Tree

Common crabapple diseases...

Many of the newer flowering crabapples are disease resistant or tolerant. Disease resistance involves genetic resistance to infection by disease causing organisms. Disease tolerance implies the plant may be affected by certain diseases but are of little health significance to the plant.

Few crabapples possess all desirable characteristics of exquisite flowers, fruit, foliage, growth habit, and disease resistance. This does not mean that other cultivars should not be used. Many crabapples that have varying degrees of susceptibility to disease, could still possess enough merit in the form of flowering characteristics, growth pattern, and shape. Understanding their limitations, these plants are perfectly acceptable in many landscape situations.

There are four diseases that pose a serious threat to crab apples: apple scab, a fungus characterized by black sooty spots or leaves and corky spots on fruits. Fire blight is a bacterium that turns twigs and branches black, eventually killing the tree. Cedar-apple rust is a fungus that creates rusty, corky spots on leaves and, if serious, can defoliate the tree. Less of a threat is powdery mildew is a white fungus that attacks leaves, flowers, and fruits during warm, humid weather and is unsightly.
    There is also quite a bit more information available on that site that you might want to check out.

You say that the tree is very old. I have one too, that's very old. Sometimes it has the same problem that yours does. Sometimes not. Looks beautiful in the Spring! I've cut it back a number of times after it has flowered. I think that some years are better for crab apple trees than other years due to climate and other weather conditions.

It could also be that our trees are dying, too. Unfortunately, they don't last forever.

Is there anything else growing in or around the tree that might also be large? I've found that crab apple trees don't like other things that are too close or in them.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New sod, tree dying [ 6 Answers ]

I planted new sod, now my tree is dying, can anyone help me:confused:

Dying tree [ 2 Answers ]

I planted crape myrtles in my full-sun front yard in May of this year. I just recently moved one to another spot and now it looks like it's dying. I water in almost everyday and I have used a root connector. What else can I do to save it, I love my trees.:)

My 12' healthy ficus tree is dying.How do I save my tree? [ 0 Answers ]

My Ficus tree were plant in my garden on a slopne for about a year. It doing very well. All the sudden the last two week couple of branches with the leafs start curling, turning yellow or brown and then fall off the branch. I cut of those two branches, now another branch, the leafs start doing the...

A dying tree? [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into a townhome 2yrs ago. And noticed last summer our tree in the front lost all its leaves in August. Now the tree has some greenish/grey mold on the trunk, don't know if that has anything to do w/it. Now that it's spring I don't think its looking good for my tree. Branches are falling off...

Kitten dying of unknown disease [ 3 Answers ]

Please help! I work at a cat rescue and we have a kitten here who has crazy, off-the-charts blood work (to the point that the vet is surprised she's still alive) and symptoms such as diarrhea, runny nose, shaking of the upper body while breathing (difficulty breathing?).. A few cats from the same...

View more questions Search