Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CMALori Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 05:54 AM
    My dog won't let me sleep!
    I need help! Ive had my dog for almost a year now. She's almost 2 years old and for the past 2 months EVERY night between 2am and 5am she whines for me to take her out. Sometimes I try and just ignore it so I don't keep giving in to it but the whining does not stop unless I take her out. So I give in every night. Most of the time when I do let her out, she does go to the bathroom but why can't she just hold it like when I'm not home. Im thinking of taking away her food around 7pm every night but if anyone has any suggestions and solutions it would help a ton! I just want to sleep peaceful again without her waking me up all the time!:eek:
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

May 18, 2009, 06:34 AM

Taking her food away is a great idea. I would also suggest your walk to be later at night closer to bedtime so she is more tired and willing to sleep the whole night.
    xjaileen Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 04:50 PM

I had the same problem with my dog. What I did was give her food early and walked before I want to sleep. That worked for a while after I just left her outside. Sometimes not all the times. And I sleeped like a baby. Good luck. I hope I helped!:)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2009, 05:27 PM
    With my dogs they always developed a habit, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen over night. Everyone has given you great advice.:)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xjaileen View Post
    i had the same problem with my dog. what i did was give her food early and walked before i want to sleep. that worked for a while after i just left her outside. sometimes not all the times. and i sleeped like a baby. good luck. i hope i helped!:)

I disagree with leaving the dog outside all night - just about anything can happen to her and keeping her safe is your responsibility as a pet owner.

Even though you "sleeped" like a baby, this is not sound advice for a dog owner.

I also took food away at 7PM, didn't give in to the whining unless I had a sense she REALLY had to go outside.

As "Rex" said, it worked for me.
    xjaileen Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 06:27 PM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee;1743273]I disagree with leaving the dog outside all night - just about anything can happen to her and keeping her safe is your responsibility as a pet owner.

Even though you "sleeped" like a baby, this is not sound advice for a dog owner.

I also took food away at 7PM, didn't give in to the whining unless I had a sense she REALLY had to go outside.

As "Rex" said, it worked for I
    Its safe. Trust me. You don't have to but she could try. And only leave her outside 1 time a week.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xjaileen View Post
    [its safe. trust me. u dont have to but she could try. and only leave her outside 1 time a week.

It's not a question of trusting you - it's a question of trusting neighbors, people passing by, other animals, putting a fear of being locked outside into the dog.

And please don't use text speak and please check how to quote - my post and your post ran together, making what you typed very difficult to understand.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 18, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Definitely take the food up about 2-3 hours before the last walk. Walk until she goes. She should be sleepy when you get back. Limit fluids after the last walk as well.
    siiighs Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2009, 07:30 PM

Do you let her free-feed? Try feeding her two times a day--a larger portion in the morning, and a lesser portion at night (try 5-6ish if you're home). Make sure you take her out again right before bed. If nothing works take her to the vet--dogs that age should be able to hold their stuff for at least 8 hours--she may have some sort of infection.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It's not a question of trusting you - it's a question of trusting neighbors, people passing by, other animals, putting a fear of being locked outside into the dog.

And please don't use text speak.
    Yes definitely!
    I never leave my dogs outside both at night or when I am not home.

Not only would they be more likely to bark and annoy the neighbours but someone could walk past and steal them. It's a more common problem than you would think!
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

May 19, 2009, 02:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post

And please don't use text speak.

Yeah, you should never leave your dog outside. Not only could someone steal it there are so many other animals that could harm it.

The safest place for a dog is inside with its family. Dogs are pack animals and need to be with their pack, which is their family.

May 19, 2009, 02:22 PM

Yea I could never leave her outside alone. I don't have a fenced in yard and I live on a very busy street. And yes I do free-feed her only because my work schedule is always different. But when I am home on nights I will take the food away at 7 and take her for walks around 8. Thank you everyone for your great suggestions!
    greatdanelover3 Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2009, 12:15 PM

I agree with almost everybody as well. Take the food away at 7pm. Also try to put her on a feeding schedule. Also are you putting her in a kennel? That's what I am assuming. Kennels training is great but it doesn't work if you take her every time she whines. She is going to do that if she knows you will take her out. You have to be consitant! Walking her later at night is great to! It will help calm her down for bed time. This sounds more like a behavior problem, therefore it should be fairly easy to train, so try what I suggest, see how that works!

Also I was wondering what kind of dog you have. If it is a smaller breed, please don't leave it outside. Even for one night! Smaller breed dogs can be eaten by other animals and picked up by large birds! If you have a larger dog, how fair is it for you or her to have her outside because you don't want to hear her cry! All you have to do is work with her and you and her can sleep again!

May 22, 2009, 07:24 PM

No I would not leave her outside no matter what size she was. And actually no I do not kennel her.
    kdenison07 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2009, 11:57 PM

If you leave your dogs out you never know what is going to happen. As an example:

My neighbor's pit bull mix broke through the fence and attacked my Mom and her standard poodle Mya in the middle of the day no less. The neighbors have a doggie door so they can come out anytime. If that had been at night there is no telling what kind of damage could have been done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog won't sleep [ 4 Answers ]

I have a cocker spaniel puppy.He is just over 1 year old. He is very happy and friendly to everyone but he doesn't sleep at night.He used to sleep but it is these last few months that he has not. He always follows us around the house and is always lying next to my mum. We are getting very annoyed...

21/2 yr old son just won't sleep in his bed [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have allowed our son to fall asleep on our sofa at night while we all watch a bit of TV and relax. Then once he is asleep we would put him in his bed. This has been going on for about a year. Normally he would sleep through the night, but latley he has been getting up and making...

Why won't he sleep with me? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together nearly 3 years, recently he keeps pushing me away when I want sex. He won't let me touch him in a sexual way. I love him but its driving me insane, I've started to doubt myself - feel ugly, unsexy. He always says he loves me and does a lot for me, he admits...

My 2 yr old won't sleep [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 yr old son who refuses to sleep at night or take naps during the day. I have tried numerous things to help him sleep better, nothing seems to work. We've tried pushing back his bedtime to 9:30, reading him bedtime stories, no sweets in the evening, no drinks other than water before...

He won't sleep in his own bed! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, my son turns 4 in December, since he's been 2 we made his bedroom up, turned his cot into a bed and made it into a right litlle boys room, cars, bob the builder, Anyway when I put him 2 bed I usually read him a story, and he falls asleep in his own bed, but EVERY night around 2-3am, (uk time)...

View more questions Search