Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mibhuttha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Changing Engine Pulley?
    I have Sears riding Lawn Mower with Brides & Stratton engine and it's engine pulley broke off. There are two pulleys attached to this shaft. How to remove and replace this shaft? It's attached to the engine.

Thanks.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2006, 10:17 PM
    Usually its either a bolt way up that hole (must have a long enough extension) or it's a bolt right at the bottom of the pulley, easily accessed.
    financiallychallenged Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 09:30 AM
    I have a briggs and stratton, sears lawn mower. The rope that starts the mower fell under the blade and well... now I have no rope to start the mower. Is this something I can fix myself. I am a single mom and don't have the $$ to bring it in for service, but will need to cut the lawn 1 or 2 more times before winter.
    Help... Please
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2006, 09:22 PM
    How did it get under the mower? Lol...

But its not too hard... Just take the shroud off (it may have a lot of junk to be removed or not, can't tell you exactly without knowing what style it is, quantum, classic, etc.) But normally its 4 bolts (classic/sprint its one more for the tank support)

And pull it up and off.. there will be either tabs or screws to take that pulley out.. take it out... (make sure the rope is burned and made to a point at the ends) and tie the rope in that hole (it only goes one way) and wind it up, use a little tape to hold it on at the end.

That spring will more then likely pop out... take and wind it enough to get it back in, and carefully hook it onto the pulley, use the pulley to wind it up good then while holding that, lock the pulley down (because that spring will pop it right back up and out) and pull the rope through the hole and tie the handle on...
    financiallychallenged Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 08:05 AM
    It got under the mower and in the blade cause I wasn't paying attention :0
    The engine has a yellow plastic cover, which I have removed. It then has a metal ring type of cover over the rope pull. It looks as if this cover is welded or rivited on. How do I get it off to get to the rope pulley?

Thanks for your help- much appreciated.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Usually briggs either has the metal cover like it is, or the plastic cover (most of the time it has the gas tank built into that plastic cover)

The metal shroud should be 4 bolts to remove.
    Can you locate the engine's model, type, and code off the shroud (usually stamped onto the front of the shroud) and post them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing MTD engine pulley [ 3 Answers ]

I need to replace my drive belt but cannot get the pulley off, motor spins? Any suggestions? Also it is reverse thread correct? Thank You

MTD Engine Pulley replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an old ('89) MTD lawn tractor with a 12hp B&S engine, 38" cut. The engine drive pulley has come apart and needs to be replaced. I can find replacements, but my question is how does the old pulley come off? It seems like there is a nut holding it on. Normal or reverse threaded? How do I...

14.5 hp MTD lawnmower-Drive pulley [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove the drive pulley. I removed the nut at the bottom but the drive pulley will not come off. Do I require a pulley puller or am I missing something? Thanks

1994 Civic - Check Engine "Orange" lamp and Engine revs when idling [ 1 Answers ]

Two questions realting to my Honda Civic ESI - 1994 model. 1) When I turn on the ignition key there is a Check Engine lamp displayed in Orange which is remaining On for progressively longer. Car not be started until this light disappears. Eventually after 3-5 seconds light turns off and engine...

View more questions Search